cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1978 Fliteway Truck Camper

cgrisham
Explorer
Explorer
My DW and I bought a 1978 Fliteway last year. When the camper isn't on the truck, we've been working long and hard at refurbishing and updating it. Other than locating a company (Fliteway Co., Inc. in Manawa, WI) that existed in the late '70's I have not been successful at finding any information, including pictures on this camper. Anyone out there have any knowledge, pictures of, or experience with this one? We're almost done with the interior, and previous owners repainted the exterior - left one logo and the serial number plate untouched. We'd like to find more information on the company and camper - how many were built, if the company still exists & under which name (if it does) and where we can get pieces and parts to finish the refurbishment. Thanks for any information you can supply.
2005 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel - the hauler
2008 Rockwood 8296SS - Our summer getaway
1978 Fliteway Truck Camper - off season & road trips
11 REPLIES 11

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
billyray50 wrote:
Great job! Really like the new wood finish.

x2
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Great job! Really like the new wood finish.

cgrisham
Explorer
Explorer
The Refurb: DW had already made new curtains. The TV wasn't there when we bought the camper and it didn't stay on that wall long. We moved it before we even took the camper on a trip to California the end of March. Neither one of us liked the dark (full of holes and pretty scarred and scratched up) paneling.

We cut the front bench down and added a cabinet (matches the opposite side of the dining U). That gave us a lot more floor space. We had remade the dining table and galley counter before the first trip. I have pictures from the previous owner, but they were VERY dark. The table (previous owner) is free standing on its own base. That's nice so we can move it around, but it had a tendency to fall while traveling, so I made a brace for it. The strap comes off and the brace folds flat against the wall when not in use.

This camper may have had a wet bath once-upon-a-time. We don't know. What we got was a closet with a very badly scratched wall. Not even a cabinet, so ... we added cabinets and a porta-potty. This is our off season, road trip, take-it-to-unknown-campgrounds unit, so the full bath wasn't a necessity. (Our travel trailer fits the need for the rest) I'll point out the DW works for a paving company. Their season is everyone else's vacation time. I've added (home made) towel bars and tp holder since this picture was taken.

See those curtains? Well, almost? We had already redone the counter top and replaced the stove and stove hood when this picture was taken.
In the galley area, we also used one of the precious cabinets for a microwave. The camper had a cooler. We changed it to a thermal cooler. The camper had no battery. We added a battery compartment, converter / charger and umbilical cable. (? Not sure why that was not there - but we fixed it) It has a fresh water tank, and a small electric pump, but no water heater. We're thinking about it. Obviously it has no holding tanks. I have a couple of in bed tanks I route a hose to for when the camper is on truck. One more thing - we added 8" extensions to the jacks and reinforced the mounting plates - got rid of those blocks in the off truck picture.

We think one of the previous owners was quite handy and had rebuilt the back end of the camper to make it less wide - fit the bed of a newer truck the furnace appears to have been moved in a couple of inches. Same thing on the bathroom / closet side.

That's what I have for now. We have more pictures, but don't want to overwhelm.

cgrisham
Explorer
Explorer
Cool. I remembered how to do that, so here goes. This is the camper - off truck, shortly after we bought it last February.

cgrisham
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a while since I posted pictures, but I'll try.

I'll start with the Manufacturer's Plate.

Mike_Hohnstein
Explorer
Explorer
My first camper, used it on a 74 C-10 454 pulling the Chevelle on a open trailer. All the way to Seattle and back to Milwaukee one summer. Race rained out in Seattle, what a surprise, not the finest memory.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
I found this picture if it helps .

https://northernwi.craigslist.org/rvs/5454827401.html
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hope you find what you need. I googled Fliteway and looked at the "images" tab.

What a cool camper! My best to you.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
A rare camper! Please post pics soon.

cgrisham
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. Our stripe was painted over, logo and all with blue paint. It was originally orange. I can see traces where it wasn't masked or where the new paint has chipped just enough. I found a picture of one that was painted black, but since there was no logo, I can only assume it was originally orange, too. Thanks! I think they were a very locally made and owned camper. Kind of wondering how many were made and how many are still in use (or sitting in a field). I have found pictures of three others, but only pictures of the exterior. No interior pix.

Swell1
Explorer
Explorer
I owned one in 1979. The outside is off white with an orange stripe down the side. I can't tell you much more about it.
2017 SportTrek 271 VRB
2016 F150 Eco boost with max tow package