cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1983 Real-lite - Quality Camper or not? Frame material

BlissRamblyn
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at a 1983 Real-lite. Original owner, stored indoors. Everything works. $1100. Are these a well constructed camper? I have heard there are build issues with some of them but cannot find any related information online.
8 REPLIES 8

tattoobob
Explorer
Explorer
I had an "86" Real-Lite, it had water problems when I bought it the roof was leaking because of neglect I repaired it and kept it over 20 years, It's a 34 yo camper there are going to be problems

I hated to sell it it was the biggest one they made at the time (1200) I really miss the dry bath and the side entrance

To answer the question it is a wood frame camper
2005 Ford F350 SRW 4x4

2000 Lance 1010

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Troutguy wrote:
midnightsadie wrote:
x2 look around the ceiling for water marks. if none and you like it buy it. its 34yrs old theres gonna be some problems ,BUT a 2017 of the lot has problems. first thing new tires ,tires rot no matter where there stored.

TIRES? Truck campers don't have them.......trucks do! You may want to restrict your comments to the relevant forum.........;)

Some did, way back when....

You could get a big camper with a tag axle underneath.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Troutguy
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
x2 look around the ceiling for water marks. if none and you like it buy it. its 34yrs old theres gonna be some problems ,BUT a 2017 of the lot has problems. first thing new tires ,tires rot no matter where there stored.

TIRES? Truck campers don't have them.......trucks do! You may want to restrict your comments to the relevant forum.........;)

RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 DRW

Cummins HO, Aisin trans and 4:10 gears, 14,000 lb GVWR
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Truck Camper &

Honda EU2000

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Stated before in your other thread that Real Lites had issues. Water intrusion issues to be exact. I also said that I've posted on here in various threads what to look for and where.

Could be an 1100 buck 500 hour rebuild job or could be ok. I lean toward the rebuild. 34 years is ancient and you live in an area of extreme weather (I live in Michigan as well) so if the unit was outside and the OE didn't stay up on seals and caulk, it's most likely a leaker and rotter. They have wood frames btw.

Always best to store any TC inside during long periods of non use. I do.

You may find it's even worse that the Palomino and unlike the Palomino, there is more camper, thus more rebuild.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Inspect closely. If good buy it...$1,100 isn't much..22 nights camping and you are more than whole.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II

BlissRamblyn
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Build quality on a 34 year old camper? Worry about leaks. The rest is not worth worrying over

Someone brought it up on this forum. Just trying to figure out if there are any issues that will pop up before I buy it.

And Id like to determine the frame material.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Build quality on a 34 year old camper? Worry about leaks. The rest is not worth worrying over