cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1987 Nomad AC Blowing cold then warm then cold

87nomaderwhat
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1987 Skyline Nomad 2440, with a Dometic AC unit that uses R22 freon. It blows semi cold air for about ten minutes or so then it changes to warm and then back to cool again and so on.

I blew out the fins.

Oh, and also the trailer was plugged into the 120v

What else can be wrong.

Please help!

I will be grateful NoMadder what.
10 REPLIES 10

prolandsurveyor
Explorer
Explorer
I work on havc for a living.....it could be going out on low pressure(I always put saddle valves on mine so I can check the charge but it Also could be a tstat problem.....my older units had a low medium and high settings...it wouldn't cut off the blower motor it would just cut off the compressor....
2013 Thor majestic 28a
1971 vw superbeetle

87nomaderwhat
Explorer
Explorer
well, I dont think this is the original unit because i have owners manuals for another unit that has different model numbers. also I noticed that my top cover is sheet metal instead of the plastic white cover. could this be a problem as well?

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
If your ac unit is 27 yrs old, it very well may be worn out. Being a sealed system, no freon should be leaking out. And if it is, what is to be done about it to prevent the new freon from leaking out. The Clean Air Act doesn't allow R22 Freon to be vented to the atmosphere. This may be a problem for a repair shop's heating and cooling tech to install a tap and risk a violation. I wouldn't risk my electrical license in such a manner as it would definitely harm my lively hood.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
An a/c mechanic may be able to put a tap in the line.

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
It might make sense from an industry point of view. Cheaper to manufacture, smaller footprint, and sell more units when they wear out. Plus, they are self contained unlike a home or auto unit that has external lines with connections from the condenser to the evaporator that can leak freon.
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

87nomaderwhat
Explorer
Explorer
well that doesnt make sense because you can recharge a car and a house but not your ac on you travel trailer! Now thats weird

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
I was told by several RV parts places(Richfield Trailer Supply and American RV) that the ac units are sealed and are not rechargeable. I imagine they're similar to a window AC unit. I replaced one on an older MH I had. It was in the neighborhood of $400 discounted. The swap out was straight forward. They fit into a standard size vent opening. To lift the heavy things, I rigged a pulley to a rafter in my polebarn. My walls are 14ft to make that possible. Two strong guys could prob do it safely.
Here's some basic directions... Clicky
Pics

87nomaderwhat
Explorer
Explorer
Now is this something I can do myself. Can i purchase r22 and recharge the system or do i have to take it in. if so, do you have any idea how much a recharge would cost?

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Beachums wrote:
Sounds like you may be due for recharge.

If the compressor runs without any refrigerant it will burn up. So they use a pressure switch to stop the compressor once the refrigerant gets below a certain level. The refrigerant is being moved from the low pressure side to the high pressure side. When you are low, there is enough refrigerant to start. However, once it starts getting cycled through out the entire system, it drops below the minimum pressure needed to keep the compressor running without destroying it........
That's just my take on your symptoms

Ya, probley. I don't know if you can get them recharged anymore. Maybe if you find the right guy and you live in the right place. In the small towns around me they would probley just recomemend a replacement.

Beachums
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you may be due for recharge.

If the compressor runs without any refrigerant it will burn up. So they use a pressure switch to stop the compressor once the refrigerant gets below a certain level. The refrigerant is being moved from the low pressure side to the high pressure side. When you are low, there is enough refrigerant to start. However, once it starts getting cycled through out the entire system, it drops below the minimum pressure needed to keep the compressor running without destroying it........
That's just my take on your symptoms
2004 Ford Expedition 4X4 3.73 w/quick shift kit
Reese DC Straight Line/ Prodigy P2 Controller
2010 Coleman CT 250 GS