cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1st trip in our hybrid TT! Any advice, please?

jansj
Explorer
Explorer
Got a "new to us" 2006 Shamrock - 23 feet - deck on the front with a dining slide, and LOVE it! Maiden voyage in August to family reunion in Mass. and then through Adirondacks and to Niagara Falls. We're in our 60's and have been camping for years, but are hoping for any help from the folks who have more experience with hybrid TTs. Especially interested in how you deal with tent beds and any hints on storage.
THANKS in advance.
JanJ
"Do what you like - like what you do!"
14 REPLIES 14

sheikyerboutti
Explorer
Explorer
One mod I have yet to try is to cut pieces of Reflectix radiant barrier, available at home depot, into bunk windows between mesh and canvas. Just adds a little more heating,cooling and darkening

sheikyerboutti
Explorer
Explorer
One mod I have yet to try is to cut pieces of Reflectix radiant barrier, available at home depot, into bunk windows between mesh and canvas. Just adds a little more heating,cooling and darkening

sheikyerboutti
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a great trip. When I was a kid we did Adirondacks and Cape Cod together. Have been back to Lake George several times. We may go again next week. Hybrids are great, except for the bunk mattresses. Make sure you get a memory foam topper or possible a 43 foot diesel pusher with king mattress. Is your hybrid a toy hauler ? you mentioned deck. I would love one of those so I can bring the motorcycle

JimNH
Explorer
Explorer
this winter, i put a couple of tubs of damp-rid in the trailer, and when we opened up it was very nice and dry smelling inside. We winterized by draining everything and putting anti freeze in the toilet and traps, and it seemed to be fine. people say that hybrids require more maintenance, but I think the biggest worry is to make sure the ends aren't stowed when they are wet or damp - which I think would lead to rot, mildew and unpleasant smelling sleeping accomodations. I would rather deal with our hybrid tent ends than with a slide out though...for mainteance anyway.

Wavesprite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm going to chime in about Pop up Gizmos. We have them, and love them. We just spend 3 weeks in Oregon, and had rain every other day or so. Usually because of where we camp geographically, we aren't using them to reflect the sun, but to:
1. keep the bunk ends dark in the morning so we can sleep in.
2. protect the canvas on our bunk ends
3. Keep MOST of the moisture off of the bunk ends for breaking down in the rain.

We had torrential rains and had to pack up in about 15 minutes when we had a window of light mist. The gizmos kept the ends fairly dry and we just needed to swipe a towel over them before folding up.

That said, because we don't use them to reflect the sun, and the flip side of the silver is a nice dark green, we usually put them on with the green side up. Our hybrid is tan and green and they look so nice 🙂

LakeN
Explorer
Explorer
As a former hybrid owner, highly recommend solar blankets placed over the bunkends. Use bungee cords. The "blankets" are a thin plastic tarp that folds very compactly. One side is silver, otherside dark. We got ours from Dicks Sporting Goods. The silver side faces out to reflect heat. Popup Gizmos serves same function.
Not only are these effective for keeping hybrid cooler but if it rains and you must pack up, most of water will be on the tarp. If bunkends are wet, be sure and dry out once you are home. Have fun!
'16 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 25B
'14 Ford Focus Titanium Toad with Blue Ox tow system

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
drenjoey wrote:
bikendan wrote:
Popup Gizmos, #1 Hybrid mod, along with Reflectix in the tent windows.

1- Sometimes Dan, I wonder if you're paid by Popup Gizmos to advertise for them....LOL !!!!! I agree that the gizmos are good for some people but I don't see the utility in Maine especially when the camping season is four months.
I had two hybrids before this one.....never used the AC, and never got cold at night.

2- I don't think they are a mod.... it's more like an add-on.

Still love you man !!!!

Dre

ahh, Shucks, Dre!:B
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:

1- Sometimes Dan, I wonder if you're paid by Popup Gizmos to advertise for them....LOL !!!!! I agree that the gizmos are good for some people but I don't see the utility in Maine especially when the camping season is four months.
I had two hybrids before this one.....never used the AC, and never got cold at night.

2- I don't think they are a mod.... it's more like an add-on.

Still love you man !!!!

Dre

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer

by your description, it sounds like a 21SSL but i didn't know they made them in 2006.
by deck, do you mean a big deck for hauling ATVs/motorcycles?
and they weren't 23' long but more like 30' long.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Since this is a used unit, in your driveway camping, open the beds and hose them down really good. While you do that have someone inside looking for leaks on the seams and where the tenting is joined to the body of the trailer. If it was well taken care of you shouldn't have any leaks. You can treat the seams with seam sealer for tents if you see leaks on the seams.

If you have to close up wet, just use an old bath towel to dry the vinyl as good as you can. The little bit of moisture that is left will dry by the time you re-open them when you get home. That's after a rain. If you have to pack while its raining, open the beds at home and they dry off in an hour or so. The vinyl is not like trying to dry straight canvas. In 13 years of owning hybrids we've only had to pack up in pouring rain 3 times.

Treat the bed seals with a UV protectant twice a year. Our last hybrid was 10 years old when we traded it and the seals looked like new.

We're in our 50s and still love having a hybrid. Have fun!

EDIT: Looks like my timing was bad, I repeated much of what elwood58 said!
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

elwood58
Explorer
Explorer
Camp in your driveway if you have to, and take notes. Try not to over pack. We have hauled stuff for thousands of miles that never left its storage location. Set up the tented portion and give it a good rain with the sprinklers. Have some seam sealer on hand, and some good caulk. Cold is one thing, but cold and wet is not fun.
2016 Fleetwood Bounder 33C

Can_t_Wait_Now
Explorer
Explorer
As already stated and most of all HAVE FUN!

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
Use all systems, make sure everything works. As your 'maiden voyage' isn't until August I'll second the camp somewhere close suggestion. Take it out for a weekend at a close campground with no hookups (unless you intend to never stay without hookups).

Use all of the systems that don't require 110v (unless you have a generator), even if it's hot run the heater at some point and make sure it's functional. Use the holding tanks, presumably it's got a privy use that instead of the CG facilities. Goal is to get a feel for how much water/holding tank space, battery power and the like you would use and make sure all systems are GO.

Keep notes about things you forgot/should pack.
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Suggest camping in your driveway or other close location a couple of times before the maiden voyage.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)