cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2003 Lance 1161 PROJECT

Steven_Warner
Explorer
Explorer
This is my 2003 Lance 1161, Fully loaded with generator, satellite dish, solar panel, I just bought this wonderful lance last week, knowing it has front bunk problems. I paid 3200.00 so im very excited that there is no other rot except what is in these pics. Ive got the rot fixed as of tonight. Tomorrow ill put the aluminum siding back on the front NOT fiberglass. I found 6 8' pcs of white aluminum siding rv siding our local camper store had leftover. :)) Very happy to find that...Ill reinstall the front window, but Not the orange marker lights.. Ill be posting more pics as the weekdays go on. I work on the road so i need this camper finished by Friday this week. I started working on the Lance yesterday so it'll be a four day project. Talk to ya in day or two.. Steven Warner West Virginia

18 REPLIES 18

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
jimh425 wrote:
I agree nice job. I am wondering why you added the front window back though.

Ditto....

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree nice job. I am wondering why you added the front window back though.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Great restoration job!

We should award you the "Camper Restoration Award for 2016"......

I know you and family will get lot's of enjoyment out of it.

Be careful making turns.... That extra 2.5ft sticking out there in the rear will swing out about 2 ft further than your tire track! Have a friend that made that mistake and.... you know the rest of the story. At least it was not the door side!

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

Geterdone
Explorer
Explorer
Steven,
I had a 2003, 1181 (Hope that is correct model number) and the seems on that years campers had major leakage problems some fixed by Lance. Our camper started rotting at wings in rear and spread into area around furnace etc and finally gave out hitting some rail road tracks and the tie down just pulled sidewall out. Look at replacing seems at the least...may preserve what you have.
Steve and Patti, 2014 Ram Duelly, Longhorn Laramie, Lance 1172 solar,Genset, torklift super hitch, and tiedowns, Bodiak front hitch,Polar Kraft boat when trailered.

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at an 04 1161, how did you determine the cabover had rot? I have found rot on the wings, I was going to offer $5k but now I am rethinking that.

Was all the appliances and generator working on yours?

Thanks!
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Fuzzy_Bear
Explorer
Explorer
Aquanut wrote:
Digital display equals satellite dish coordinates

It's actually the dish angle. When you're aiming the dish, in addition to degrees such as 110 or 119, the dish is pointed at a specific angle from the horizon. You should be able to find the directions on line. I don't have access to mine at this time.

Doug
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4 6spd auto.

2007 Lance 1191

Aquanut
Explorer
Explorer
Digital display equals satellite dish coordinates

palmwhit
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent work! You have the skills of a true craftsman.

blueglide
Explorer
Explorer
WOW...I'm impressed at how fast and nice your repair went. 4 days!!! I'd be happy if I could do that in 4 weeks. ๐Ÿ™‚
2017 Ford F450 XLT CC 6.7 4X4 Dually
2017 Arctic Fox 32-5m Fifth Wheel

Bonesquatch
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. Nice work on the renewed wood and outside bits! I'd be nervous to try something that extensive, but it looks like you nailed it. Well done!
"That's just...like...your opinion...man..."--The Dude
2012 Chevy 2500 HD
2012 Lance 850

bookmaker
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about the digital display, but the fan looks like the controls for a FanTastic fan. The temperature knob is a thermostat to regulate when the fan will turn on and off. No heat element. At least that is how mine works.

Dale
Dale & Rose Cavin, Marianna, FL
2004 Dodge Laramie dually , Cummins diesel
2010 Lance 1181
Previous:
2004 Lance 1121 (lost to hurricane Michael 10/10/18)

Steven_Warner
Explorer
Explorer
I totally agree, i suspect the marker lights leaked. they tried to fix with duct tape. Didn't work lol. BUT the good thing about leaks is i can have a loaded camper for under 4k.

I hate to be ignorant but what are these two pics. the one just says 67.and is mounted in the upper cabinet... the other is a vent with a heat cool knob....Does is have heating elements of some sort??? thanks'' Steven Warner

bookmaker
Explorer
Explorer
Nice work. It is just amazing how water can find the most minute little hole to get in and totally ruin the structure.

Dale
Dale & Rose Cavin, Marianna, FL
2004 Dodge Laramie dually , Cummins diesel
2010 Lance 1181
Previous:
2004 Lance 1121 (lost to hurricane Michael 10/10/18)

Steven_Warner
Explorer
Explorer
I used 3/4 foam for the isolation, cut the aluminum rv siding to 93 1/8 and blammo... new camper... The window went in with a little fight. but triple sealed so hopefully no leaks. The fiberglass siding i used 1/8 luan. the rot didn't go back to the window so I v-trowel FRP adhesive used a hand roller, back rolled toward the window to assure adhesive was fully spread. then i finished nailed the pine braces just on the edge. Between the window and the frp adhesive it gets to dry all night.. Oh before i installed the aluminum siding i put a lill clear silicone in the siding groove before installing the next piece. then i put a very fine bead of silicone after installation. Taking no chances. On the inside, in the cabinets I have got inspection holes so i can monitor any water leaks...