cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2005 Ford Freestar pulling capabilities?

Wayne_v
Explorer
Explorer
New to the forums and this seemed like the best place to ask this...

I have a 2005 Freestar with the 4.2L engine. I am looking at a trailer that is about 2700 dry. Can I pull this with the van without frying my transmission or anything else? How do you think it will do? Is it safe etc.

Does the pulling weight which Ford specs at 3500 pounds include the weight inside the van itself?

Any guesses on what filling the trailer with regular vacation items will weigh? Let's assume we don't run with water tanks full.

Any help here is appreciated.
Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

frankwp
Explorer
Explorer
I used to tow a large Coleman PUP (around 3000 lbs)with a Windstar. It had the tow package and was rated at 3500 lbs. I used a WD hitch and the towing experience was great. Very stable, no sway at all and enough power to handle the mountain passes. Don't know if it had the same tranny as the Freestar, but there was never any trouble with it.
2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison

mythree
Explorer
Explorer
If you look in the owners manual it already takes into consideration of gear and family in the van, per our manual on our 2004 Freestar. We did have to put a tranny in our at 95000 miles. Our pup gross is 2049 and we are always right at it.;) We just came back from Chattanooga and it did great. 14.5 mpg hand calculated at 61-64 mph. It has a hair over 115000 on it now and my wife drives the snot out of it. :'( I wouldn't tow that much with it. I feel ok wihh mine but not any more. It's paid for so its what we use.
1 newborn ds
2 dd
1ds
1 beautiful dw

David_R
Explorer
Explorer
We recently traded off our 2004 Freestar with the 4.2L. I pulled an open cargo trailer with it ocassionally and it did fine but would not have pulled anything that heavy. You need to include the weight of your passengers and cargo in the 3500 # capacity.
2007 BT Cruiser 5231
2002 Heritage Softail Classic

spanielrage
Explorer
Explorer
It will not be a comfy ride, with their softer suspensions. You might want a WDH to help with that tho.

Minivans should not tow anything bigger than a jet ski.

IMHO

๐Ÿ™‚
2008 Jayco JayFeather 19H
2012 Ford F150 XLT EcoBoost MaxTow SCrew w/XTR Package

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard good things about Freestars. I guess it depends on your expectations. It won't be any sort of speed demon up the hills.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Freestar with the 3.9L and a 4 sp auto. That transmission is not going to hold up IMO. Most folks add at least a 1000 lbs of stuff to a TT.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Road_Ruler
Explorer
Explorer
The Freestars with the 4.2 have been very popular TV's in these parts for many years.

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
If it's a pop up, you might squeak by with this weight, as long as you don't have a lot of people in the van and a lot of stuff in the PUP. I pull an Aliner (around 2000 lb. dry) with my 2010 Pathfinder (6000 lb. capacity) with no problem.

I pulled a PUP with a Mitsubishi Endeavor (3500 lb.), and we started pulling our Aliner with a V6 Rav 4, and both were okay, but we don't have kids or tons of stuff - just the dogs. I'm much happier with my Pathfinder.

If you're talking about a travel trailer, forget about it!
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

popupcamping
Explorer
Explorer
A 2700lb dry trailer is too much for your van.

loaded ready to camp tongue weight will be 500lbs and you simply do not have the capability....Your vans max tw is 350lbs...sorry.

btw, what is the model trailer you are looking at?