Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2006 Lincoln Town Car to replace 2003 Cadillac Seville STS

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,
Not a tow vehicle, but I wanted some input. My 03 Cadillac Seville is getting of the age where oil leaks and a few other things are going wrong.

I'm thinking of a 2006 Lincoln Town Car as a replacement. Any feedback of thoughts on these two? Thanks everyone!
27 REPLIES 27

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any Panther car will urn 400,000+ miles with even spotty maintenance. Good call on the TC!

I wouldn't own any Northstar Cadillac on a bet.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. 😞
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
IRingTwyce wrote:
vacuumbed wrote:
Here are the advantages of the Town Car:
1. Reliability. The Town Car is pretty solid. No Leaks!
2. Keyless Entry keypad on drivers door.
3. Larger trunk.
4. The trunk opens and closes with the remote key fob.
5. Better fuel economy. The Town car is getting 21 mixed city/highway. The Caddy got 19.

Meh. I find this to be an overrated feature. I've never once used the ones on my F-150 or F-350, other than to just play and see it work.

Obviously a Southerner. Nothing disrespectful meant, but live up in the northern Great Plains one winter and you will absolutely love the Keyless Entry keypad.

I've got it on my F 350 and love it. Go past a convenience store, leave it running cause baby, its cold outside. Come out, punch code and away I go.

Shoot, you want to see unattended running cars, come up north some winter. Parking lots of all sorts of stores.

And no, there is not a whole lot of car theft happening up here.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I`ve used the keyless feature for as long as I can remember. how many times has anyone run out to their car and realized they forgot their keys? it`s worth just for 1 time.

I wish more manuf. would offer it! Ford actually offered an add-on keypad that looked just like the factory and it used double stick tape to stick it on the door, it looked factory, you had to look very close to tell the difference. it was programmed as a keyless entry transmitter would be.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Fast_Mopar
Explorer
Explorer
IRingTwyce wrote:
vacuumbed wrote:
3. Larger trunk.
5. Better fuel economy. The Town car is getting 21 mixed city/highway. The Caddy got 19.

Meh. I find this to be an overrated feature. I've never once used the ones on my F-150 or F-350, other than to just play and see it work.

I thought it was a gimmick until I owned one. That feature is so useful, we use it all the time on our Ford. The kids really like it because they can run out to get something from the van without me giving them my key (and potentially never seeing it again). I wish Chrysler offered that feature.
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2009 Chevy Cobalt XFE
2004 Ford Freestar 4.2 liter
2003 Jayco Qwest 12A
ex: 1969 Dodge Super Bee, 1973 Plymouth Road Runner, 1987 Dodge Shelby CSX
preserve the Second Amendment

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
IRingTwyce wrote:
vacuumbed wrote:
3. Larger trunk.

Just wait until you lock your keys in it. :B

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
danojeno wrote:
Alfred622 wrote:
Maybe Cadillac could take some lessons from Honda??

They already have.

Why would Cadillac take lessons from Honda ? Let's see...900,000 Odysseys recalled, etc.

Now Cadillac have taken lessons from BMW, Mercedes, Audi and have proved to be more than an able student.

IRingTwyce
Explorer
Explorer
vacuumbed wrote:
3. Larger trunk.

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
I got the 06 Town Car, the one in the picture above. I like it, but I liked the Cadillac Seville better.

3. Larger trunk.

Advantages of the Cadillac Seville:
1. The BOSE sound system sounds AMAZING! The Town Car Audiophile system doesn't compare.
2. Instrument cluster is MUCH nicer. Better layout and more attractive.
3. Center console is much sportier.
4. Smelled nicer inside, like leather. This is despite the car being older, the leather is high quality.
5. Steering wheel controls are better.
6. Parking sensors have a visual light indicator, not just audio like the Town Car.
7. The Cadillac is faster.

bmanning
Explorer
Explorer
I worked in New York City from 1997-2006 & in that era it seems that about 80% of livery cars & yellow cabs were Lincolns & Crown Vics.

From what I always heard they hold up beautifully, even in severe service (not sure service gets much more severe than NYC cab duty).
BManning
baking in Phoenix :C
-2007 Volvo XC90 AWD V8
4.4L 311/325 V8 6sp Aisin loaded
6100lb GVW 5000lb tow
-1999 Land Cruiser
4.7L 230/320 V8 4sp A343 loaded
6860 GVW 6500lb tow
RV'less at the moment

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
I believe a lot of these have a 3.27 axle ratio.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will love the Town Car. you could put a free flowing exhaust with quiet turbo mufflers, maybe change the rear gear to a 3.55, I think stock is 2.73!!! this would be the best mod and with the O/D would be perfect. you could even put a tuner on it to wake it up a bit more. lot`s can be done!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
Good thoughts, thanks everyone.

carringb I saw a video of a Town Car that spanked a Lexus, it was cool. If there were some simple mods I could do to speed it up I wouldn't mind doing those. It looks like I'm going to get the Town Car. As far as luxury combined with reliability goes, the Town Car I think gives me the best value for my dollar.

The biggest thing I miss about a Ford product is the keyless entry keypad on the drivers side door. No luxury car should lack that feature.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2000 Lincoln Town Car and they are not immune to issues. However, the issues they have are easily corrected. Mine is currently leaking oil from around the valve covers, should be an easy weekend fix. Also my air ride is failing, then again it's 15 years old and has 147k miles on it. The drivers power window switch fails from time to time. Mine is due to be replaced.

So for me, I'm replacing the air ride system with a coil spring conversion, fixing the power window switch, replacing the valve cover gaskets and valve cover stud grommets, replacing all fluids and will try to get another 200-300k out of it.

Great looking car btw

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

carringb
Explorer
Explorer