Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2006 Starcraft 21SSO water damage

Jaycen
Explorer
Explorer
Well,

I suspected this due to a musty smell in the front cabinet where the water heater was, but this summer i developed a soft spot in the floor. It was soft!!! I pulled the cabinet and the water heater to fine the floor completely rotted from the front right corner of the camper to the door. Anyone else have any experience with this? Looks like a complete floor rebuild to me....gonna be an interesting project.
9 REPLIES 9

Jaycen
Explorer
Explorer
Padlin wrote:
Jaycen wrote:
Right now the front is gutted back to the fresh water tank. Front bulkhead is out as well. I'm in the process of figuring out how to do this. My biggest concern is all the mounts are gone on the camper where it mounts to the frame, I want to make sure its strong enough.

If it's the same, mine was bolts run through the top layer of ply, then 6"x6"x1.5" blocks of wood cut into the styrofoam,then through the bottom ply, the membrain, and the frame. Finding new bolts would be a problem if you don't have them.

We are trading in for a Travel Trailer once I get this fixed.....after the experience with the black bear in NH this year, and 2 small kids in my camper, I've always wondered about the safety.

RandK-M
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't know insurance would cover a rotted floor from leaks. That's good to know! I always thought the insurance would pin that on a maintenance issue and only cover it if the leak was for something like accidental damage.

Ray
Jayco 17Z
Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Prodigy P2
Equal-i-zer Hitch
US Navy Veteran

Leo_Benson
Explorer
Explorer
Scottam wrote:
I had a 05 21sb that I discovered had been leaking for quite a while. I had the dealer change the gaskets for the bunkends 4 times. I checked with my insurance ad they sent an adjuster out and he totaled our camper. The whole floor front and back was rotted. The bunkends themselves were even rotted out He showed me where the water was getting in was a gap at the bottom sides of all 3 bunkends. I think it must be a common problem with all StarCraft HTT's So we just ordered a 233s Shamrock. There has been so many changes, especially the way the canvas attaches the bunkend. Check your bunkend doors. Good luck

this happened to our Forest River Shamrock. We thought maybe a roof seal gave, that we were not aware of? When we walked into the TT the floor was completely rotted under the lineoleum. Ins co totaled it, but we didnt get much.

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Jaycen wrote:
Right now the front is gutted back to the fresh water tank. Front bulkhead is out as well. I'm in the process of figuring out how to do this. My biggest concern is all the mounts are gone on the camper where it mounts to the frame, I want to make sure its strong enough.

If it's the same, mine was bolts run through the top layer of ply, then 6"x6"x1.5" blocks of wood cut into the styrofoam,then through the bottom ply, the membrain, and the frame. Finding new bolts would be a problem if you don't have them.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Jaycen
Explorer
Explorer

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bunkend leaking is a hybrid problem, not just a Starcraft problem. Been there/done that.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Double post
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Scottam
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 05 21sb that I discovered had been leaking for quite a while. I had the dealer change the gaskets for the bunkends 4 times. I checked with my insurance ad they sent an adjuster out and he totaled our camper. The whole floor front and back was rotted. The bunkends themselves were even rotted out He showed me where the water was getting in was a gap at the bottom sides of all 3 bunkends. I think it must be a common problem with all StarCraft HTT's So we just ordered a 233s Shamrock. There has been so many changes, especially the way the canvas attaches the bunkend. Check your bunkend doors. Good luck

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
It's a big project, took me about 10 days over 3 weeks to replace just the front 4'. Doable if you are real handy.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA