cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2008 f450

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at this unit. 6.4 diesel 4x4. Crewcab. I pull a 12,000 lb fifthwheel. Any comments?
6 REPLIES 6

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
Golden_HVAC wrote:
The 6.4L has several problems. Normally they can be fixed by installing a coolant water filter. This prevents the oil cooler from getting clogged, and that prevents the exhaust gas cooler from cracking and leaking water into the engine. . .

Good luck!

Fred.

The key to this is that you need to install the coolant filter BEFORE the oil cooler is blocked. I have a 6.0 and didn't get it done in time. It's in the shop getting new head studs, oil cooler, EGR cooler, etc.

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks. I think I'll look some more. Moving from a 96 f350 460 v8.

leggy
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2008 F450 for a few years and about 40k miles on it and pulled my 40' fifth wheel very well, as well as many equipment trailers with varying weighted loads. I liked the way it pulled and only had one sensor go bad on the exhaust, of course on the back and they had to pull the cab off. It had 4:88 rears so in terms of pulling it was great, but I started to have to use it as a daily driver and it was not the greatest for that. I was getting about 9mpg towing and 12mpg local driving.

mudfuel07
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:
The 6.4L has several problems. Normally they can be fixed by installing a coolant water filter. This prevents the oil cooler from getting clogged, and that prevents the exhaust gas cooler from cracking and leaking water into the engine. . .

Good luck!

Fred.

I think you're thinking of the 6.0. The 6.4's had an issue with the radiators cracking and generally poor fuel mileage. I think they also may have had an issue with the DPF getting clogged, can't remember. However, they can be made to have gobs of power from very few mods.
2020 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD 4x4 Tradesman(with a few toys)
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer

Good luck!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 6.4L wasn't their best effort. JMHO. Look for a 6.7L diesel if you're a Ford guy. Much better option in my opinion.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV