cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2008 Ford 6.4 Diesel Info, Coolant Killed Motor 148K Miles

Trail-Mate
Explorer
Explorer
A guy that has been full timing near me for the last couple of months has a 2008 Ford 6.4, He is towing a 28 foot Dutchman trailer with one slide so he is not heavy towing. He was mainly staying the Virginia area and had planned on a trip to Michigan. So when he was coming from the Virginia Beach area and was coming back thru the panhandle of West Va area. When I saw him again been about a month, I said good to see you but thought you were going to Michigan, He said he was. Broke down in this area, White smoke out the exhaust and had to shut it down. Had trailer towed back here and truck to good shop in the area. Shop thought it was most likely Head Gasket or cracked head. Saw him yesterday and ask what they found. He said coolant destroyed the engine and he had it towed to a ford dealer and had it replaced there. $17000 was it total cost with labor and his truck has less than 150K miles on it.
You guys with the 6.4's check them good when they get over 100K miles, seeing more and more reports of issues with this motor when the are above 100K miles. Just passing info. From the short time I have know this gut he keeps his stuff well maintained.
1997 Ford F250 Extended Cab, 7.3 Diesel, 8 foot bed.
Reese 16K Hitch
(Moved into Shed) Hensley Arrow
Jordan Brake Controller, Hensley TruControl Gold Shelved.
Open Range 5th Wheel, Roamer RF392 BHS

Happy Camping !!
18 REPLIES 18

Trail-Mate
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, Wish they would have told him the cause. I will ask him again that is if I see him before he leaves for Michigan. He did say the new motor has 3 year warranty. He also said the motor cost 10K and rest was labor and tax. He also said it did a regen this weekend and now has check engine light on, He is taking it back to the dealer today or when the diesel tech can look at it.
Reese 16K Hitch

Happy Camping !!

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do believe a blown head gasket would have that effect.

Jim

Trail-Mate
Explorer
Explorer
All he said was coolant in the oil and everywhere inside, and that they said the engine was destroyed. Coolant in the oil can do lots of bearing damage rather quickly. All I know his problem came on suddenly and was having no problems with the truck until this event. It was a Hot day when he was towing but other then that, and his trailer I would guess has a GVWR of about 8000 lbs and he does not have anything in the bed.Wish I could provide more more info but I don't have it. He is not a Car guy like I am so getting more specific details from him may be hard. He could have bought my truck twice and still have money left over for just what this motor replacement cost.
Reese 16K Hitch

Happy Camping !!

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
What do you mean "coolant destroyed the engine"? How?