cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WD Storage

PineKap
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering where you all store your WD componets while in storage and while camping.

The WD Bars with all the grease are kinda a pain to store and not get all messy.

Pinekap
24 REPLIES 24

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I keep the hitch head and bars in my left front storage compartment. This is also where i keep my power cords, freshwater hoses and cable. I have a small carpet remnant that i set it on and the greasy ends of the bars rest on the hitch head. Been doing this for years and it works great!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tachdriver wrote:
tomdinwv wrote:
The hitch head stays on the truck unless we are going to take the truck out somewhere, then ....

Mine gets me in the shins :M

Once you get there, drop the tailgate, unload and leave it down. Protects you from shin knocking until it's time to load up and go home.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

N5LUI
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All, I Took a 3/8 rebar and bent in an S shape but square hang over the frame rail with the grease end on rebar and chain on chain latch, make two , one for the other side frame rail. problem solved. thanks N5LUI

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
tomdinwv wrote:
The hitch head stays on the truck unless we are going to take the truck out somewhere, then ....

Mine gets me in the shins :M

coolestdude
Explorer
Explorer
I used a pair of old socks to put over the grease ends & ether set them on my battery box or in the pass through storage! When socks get to dirty just get another pair.

Happy Trails!

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
When at home, I just leave the bars sitting across the tongue and the hitch on the ground below the tongue. When on a campsite, I do the exact same thing but run a cable lock through it all to stop opportunity thieves.

In the winter, I extra grease it all and put the bars and hitch into garbage bags and store in the pass-thru.

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tuck them under the trailer frame, resting the greased parts on the 2 wood 2x12's I put under my tongue jack. Keeps them within reach and the grease clean and out of the way where nobody gets any on them. Sway bar goes in the pass through.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
I simply set my bars on top of my battery boxes. It is perfect as they are out of the way and I do not do anything special with the greased ends.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I keep mine in the front pass-through compartment in a pine box I made. It has blocking and compartments to keep the greasy parts away from anything else.
Hard to see in this picture but the front has a handle to lift it by and I hang the little snap-up bar keepers on. The lever pipe thingy is in the bottom.

3_0charlie
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a Curt bumper receiver (Curt RV Bumper Hitch) that I installed on the TT bumper - that's where the hitch goes when I park the TT (I use a Master Lock Hitch pin (Master Lock hitch pin), so it cannot be stolen).

As for the bars, I installed 4 J-hooks to the front pass-through storage ceiling (bolt heads are basically inside the left wardrobe unit and under the bed mattress); each pair of J-hook supports a bar. No need to clean the grease, and being away from the storage floor, no mess.
John, DW and 4 kids.
2013 Kodiak 263RLSL
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 Hybrid

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
When I forget and leave the hitch head on the truck I wipe the ball clean with a pants leg while unloading stuff from the rear of the truck. Then when I store it in the back of the truck no grease left to get on anything.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, refer to your owners manual under lubrication or maintenance.

I grease the ball and the two trunnion sockets. I do not grease the sway bars.
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
gmferg wrote:
jbjuices wrote:
Alright, I'm confused because my bars are not greased. Do I need to grease the bars? Is this why they're making SO much noise? It was especially awful when it rained.

Yes, grease the contact points and noise will go away and life of components will be extended.

NOT ALL CONTACT POINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Read your manual!!!!!

Example: The Equalizer E2 requires only 4 specific (2 per side, and not counting the ball) locations to be greased and a thin film is all that is required. The Equalizer will NEVER be a quiet WDH as designed.

I store the bars in the front passenger side compartment on top of a couple 2x4's. And I cover the greased ball with a cut tennis ball. I don't have any issue with grease where it doesn't belong.

gmferg
Explorer
Explorer
jbjuices wrote:
Alright, I'm confused because my bars are not greased. Do I need to grease the bars? Is this why they're making SO much noise? It was especially awful when it rained.

Yes, grease the contact points and noise will go away and life of components will be extended.
TV: 2002 Toyota Tundra TRD & Tow, Tekonsha P3, Reese WDH.
TT: 2008 TrailManor 2619.