cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with Funk in the Fridge

rayford118
Explorer
Explorer
So went out to the camper this morning and saw where I had forgot to replug the camper in from cutting grass a week ago. Normally not a big deal but the gas tank ran empty. Went inside and opened up the freezer and there was a bag of chicken breasts that had defrosted and started to stank the place up. I ran the fan all day, wiped the inside down with bleach and vinegar but its still pretty potent. What will be the best way to get this smell out. Were going camping again this coming weekend. Thanks in advance for the help
2013 F350 Platinum
2014 Cyclone 4100 King
9 REPLIES 9

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
rayford118 wrote:
just got home and checked from wiping it down with vinegar last night.

Be sure you are using "white vinegar"

We have also used disinfecting wipes when stored for a while and getting a little mildew building up.

rayford118
Explorer
Explorer
just got home and checked from wiping it down with vinegar last night. still funky so trying the coffee grounds tonight since i have them on hand. will pick up baking soda tomorrow and try exchanging them everyday till we leave. hopefully it will work and will keep yall posted. thanks for all the info.
2013 F350 Platinum
2014 Cyclone 4100 King

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Try the baking soda and/or vinegar. Lemon will sometimes do the trick. If you think the stinky smell could also be in the drain line, carefully pour some into the drain collector and let it run down. If the trailer has that smell throughout, you might use something like a Glade or similar air freshener. Good old spray Lysol disinfectant is what we used in the doctors office where I worked. Good luck.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Google: rotten meat refrigerator
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
You may have unpleasant 'stuff' growing in your ventilation channels.

Using something like white vinegar to wipe it down helps, but may need to add an open butter container of vinegar over night. Odor absorption is helpful, but you may need something that puts the disinfectant into the air- and into the ventilation areas as well.

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
wadded up newspapers, coffee grounds, baking soda, rotate them thru the fridge, can take a long time to get all the odor out, sometimes not at all, ask me how I know
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

sljkansas
Explorer
Explorer
Use new unused coffee grounds placed in a bowel or plate and place them in the freezer overnight, smell should be gone. My Dad used this method in his Semi trailers after he hauled meat in them, and I have used for the same reason you are having.
Steve & Linda
Son married (1 DIL, 3 granddaughters 1 grandson)
Daughter Married.
Miami Co. Kansas
2004 F350 CC dually 8ft bed 6.0 PSD
2009 Bighorn 3670RL
B&W under bed hitch with 18k companion hitch

tonyandkaren
Explorer
Explorer
We had some leftover black beans that went bad and the smell got into the plastic of the refrigerator. We tried everything to get it out. What finally worked was a layer of wet baking soda spread over the whole interior and left on overnight. Good luck!
Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like you are beyond a box of baking soda.
Maybe This will help.