cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2009 Rockwood Ultra Lite 8313SS a good trailer?

craftydad
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, thinking of getting a trailer - a relative has a 2009 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite model 8313SS for about $14k (what he owes on it). Since I don't know much about trailers yet, thought I'd ask if this name brand/model is a good trailer to get. Looks in great shape. Anything I should double check? Any issues with these types of trailers?

Craftydad
5 REPLIES 5

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely agree on thorough check for water. Even thought it hasn't been on the road, certainly doesn't mean it hasn't had a leak or two and that can be a huge problem. Remember that buying from friends or family can be great or a major disaster so think this through before jumping in.

FWIW, we've had 2 Rockwood trailers, a HTT and a 2604 Ultra Lite and very pleased with both. Also agree maintenance is absolutely crucial. That's a great floorplan and very popular. Hope it works out for you, but go in with a very keen eye to detail. If you have a very picky friend, drag him/her along for another set of eyes. Once you sign, it's your problem and your family. Caution.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
What APT said, times 2 !!!

Various manufacturers have varrying reputations. Rockwood (Forest River) has a fairly good following, however, the manufacturers involvement pretty much ends with the initial warranty period. If the unit is not well maintained, it will turn into junk, no matter who put it together. The electrical, plumbing, frame, brakes, tires, appliances, etc, are pretty much common with all the manufacturers.

Even though the unit has very little milage, if the tires are original, they should be replaced. If the wheel bearings have not been serviced, they should be done. If the battery is original, it's about due.

Signs of leakage can be soft spots and / or stains in the floor, walls, and ceiling, along with a mildew smell. Look in every space (cabinets, closets, storage comparments, behind the toilet, under sinks, around the shower), anywhere your head and a flashlight will fit. Check the roof for cracked caulking or tears in the roof membrane.

A common place for leakage are running lights. Water gets behind the lens, fills up the fixture, and leaks inside the wall. Check the lenses for water lines or build up of dirt on the inside of the lens.

On the exterior look for rusty screw heads. If the head is rusted, the rest of it is probably the same.

Look for wavy wall panels, inside and out.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here are a couple older and newer.

Here
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

craftydad
Explorer
Explorer
k, thanks. It didn't really travel anywhere - it was bought new and placed on a lot in a campground by a lake. But leaks, etc... I can check those out.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
That TT has been on the road for 6-ish years, maybe 7. The quality of any RV of that vintage and older is how it was maintained. Check out all the systems. Most importantly is water leaks. That can destroy any RV and is the largest risk. Most other repairs are relatively inexpensive.

Price seems a bit high too me based on what someone should have paid new, but I'd search for comparables across the country to compare.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)