cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2011 Komfort Resort 249BH

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hello, I'm interested in buying a travel trailer, completely new to the hobby. I need a tow vehicle and a trailer.

A friend of mine has a 2011 Komfort Resort 249BH which has only been driven 3 times. It has all the accessories like a cover included. It has been garaged and well taken care of, I am confident about that.

I read elsewhere that Komfort was bought out by Dutchman and is now a defunct brand, and that the quality declined before the end. Is the 2011 vintage pre- or post-decline and buyout?

Overall she is asking $19k even including all the accessories, I don't understand them all but she says they are worth $2000.

Just on a big picture basis, is this a lead you'd continue to follow?

OK, second question about the tow vehicle. The plan was to get a Dodge Durango Hemi which has a capacity of 7200 pounds. The GVWR on this trailer is, I think, 7500 pounds. Is this a bad idea? Do I have to include the weight of passengers and luggage in the tow vehicle against the tow capacity (I know this sounds like a dumb question but I am really new to this).

Another option would be a Toyota Sequoia, which has a tow capacity of 7400 pounds, but I like the Durango better.

If neither of these will work and I need an even larger tow vehicle, I probably wouldn't go with this trailer.

Thanks for any thoughts!
12 REPLIES 12

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
I appreciate all that information, it gives me great leads to continue my education and research.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Agree, time for some sticker-reading. Not only do you need to get all the specs for the tow vehicle, but since you have more access to the specific trailer, suggest you start there. There may be a yellow sticker on the street side of the trailer or inside one of the cabinet doors....likely kitchen sink. Write them all down. Yes, you do need to account for the people, dogs, stuff, food, every little thing that goes into the tow vehicle or the trailer counts. And.....you need wiggle room in the two sets of figures. There is a suggested percentage, but I can't recall what that is. Pound-wise, suggested is abut 1000#. Example, we tow with an F-150 CC with factory tow and 5.4 engine + ?? rear end and is rated to tow 8000#. Our TT is 5585# dry weight, which means basically naked, and our GVWR is 6629#. Payload figures in here, too, and you'll need a good WDH with sway, and yea, that counts, too. You're very wise to do all this homework before rather than after either purchase. Too many buy a tow vehicle and then go trailer shopping and fall in love with something that's way too heavy and then are most unhappy with those who responded to the questions. So since you're going to have to do both, get the trailer #s and then come back. Always good info to be had here. Good luck.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
rvshrinker wrote:
So what's the take home message? The 2011 is considered part of the older, higher quality Komfort brand, or not?

rugermark2 wrote:
The resort you are looking at is pre Dutchman kind of. They were still being manufactured under the old management of Komfort but Dutchman was starting to take over.
I owned a 2011 Resort 24rk and it was a really nice trailer. The only reason why I got rid of it was for more room.

I would go off of what rugermark2 has in the quote above and then do some additional searching to see if there are many complaints for severe issues with Komfort post 2010. Keep in mind that it seems just about every RV manufacturer will have minor punch-list type issues on new RVs. Not saying it is right, just reality and very common...so keep that in mind when you continue your research.

rvshrinker wrote:
OK, second question about the tow vehicle. The plan was to get a Dodge Durango Hemi which has a capacity of 7200 pounds. The GVWR on this trailer is, I think, 7500 pounds. Is this a bad idea?

Your real limiting factor will be Tow Vehicle payload which is found on the sticker located on B-pillar, driver side. This sticker will tell you the amount of weight that specific vehicle can be loaded up with excluding all vehicle liquids and a single 150lb driver. Everything else added to the vehicle (occupants, gear, W/D hitch and tongue weight) all subtract from the payload. For both the Durango and Sequioa, you will run out of payload well before you ever run out of tow capacity.

Now, that also does not mean you will be reaching the GVWR of the trailer at 7500 lbs. See if the current owner/friend can get it weighed while it is unloaded, ready for sale but still has propane tanks and batteries. Then figure you will be adding between 500# - 1000# of gear to the trailer and you will know ~ weight of a loaded trailer along with tongue weight calculated at 13% of the loaded TT weight.
I love me some land yachting

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
So what's the take home message? The 2011 is considered part of the older, higher quality Komfort brand, or not?

Any additional thoughts on the tow vehicle situation? To be clear I wasn't primarily wanting to bring 6-7 people AND tow the trailer simultaneously. I wanted to have a tow vehicle that was more versatile than a truck when I wasn't towing, since that will be most of the time.

rugermark2
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:
I have a 2007 Komfort Kampsite and a sticker on the outside says manufactured by Thor. I know you are referring to a 2011 model, but per Thor's website, looks like those acquisitions were in place for some time.

This is correct. But before Dutchman took them over they were ran as a wholly owned subsidiary under Thor. Thor realigned Komfort under the Dutchman brand. When Dutchman took over Komfort the operations and the name got folded into one of Dutchman brands, it is no longer a wholly owned subsidiary.
2011 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins
2015 Cougar 29RLI

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Thor Industries wrote:
Also in 1991 Thor acquired Dutchmen Manufacturing, now one of the leading brands of travel trailers and fifth wheels. Four Winds International, manufacturer of Class A and Class C motorhomes, was acquired in 1992. Komfort Corporation, builder of trailers and fifth wheels, became part of the growing Thor family in 1995. 1996 saw the start-up of Thor California, which became one of the most successful RV start-ups.

http://www.thorindustries.com/corp/component/content/

I have a 2007 Komfort Kampsite and a sticker on the outside says manufactured by Thor. I know you are referring to a 2011 model, but per Thor's website, looks like those acquisitions were in place for some time.
I love me some land yachting

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
rvshrinker wrote:
It does seem like a very nice trailer and I like the combination of used but owned by someone who took very good care of it.

However if I have to get a bigger tow vehicle it seems daunting. Buying a Ram 1500 for example only seats 6 people. We were really hoping for a more versatile tow vehicle, something that could drive around 7-8 people, etc.

The only tow vehicles you're going to find that seat 7-8 and still be able to pull a trailer are Suburbans, Excursions (not made anymore) or maybe a 3/4 conversion van. Definitely not a Durango.
2013 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 4x4 iForce 5.7
2014 Grey Wolf by Forest River 26BH TT

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
It does seem like a very nice trailer and I like the combination of used but owned by someone who took very good care of it.

However if I have to get a bigger tow vehicle it seems daunting. Buying a Ram 1500 for example only seats 6 people. We were really hoping for a more versatile tow vehicle, something that could drive around 7-8 people, etc.

rugermark2
Explorer
Explorer
rvshrinker wrote:
I read elsewhere that Komfort was bought out by Dutchman and is now a defunct brand, and that the quality declined before the end. Is the 2011 vintage pre- or post-decline and buyout?

The resort you are looking at is pre Dutchman kind of. They were still being manufactured under the old management of Komfort but Dutchman was starting to take over.
I owned a 2011 Resort 24rk and it was a really nice trailer. The only reason why I got rid of it was for more room. Before you buy look the trailer up on NADA to see if it is a good deal. Also continue to research your tow rig a little more. I towed my resort with a Tundra and it pulled it just fine, but at this time I don't remember my trailer specs.
2011 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins
2015 Cougar 29RLI

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mfg. published tow ratings are magical marketing numbers. You will run out of 'payload' capacity long before ever reaching that magical tow rating.

Payload is what is available after weight of truck (all passengers, all cargo, hitch weight, everything in/on truck) is subtracted from trucks GVWR, while paying attention to weight on rear axle and tires vs their ratings.

MFG. 'Fine Print' (often not seen/read or ignored)
*Maximum trailer weights in pounds for properly equipped vehicles with no cargo

*May vary depending on model, trim and/or powertrain.

*Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight assumes a towing vehicle with any mandatory options, no cargo, tongue load of 10-15 (conventional trailer) or king pin weight of 15-25 (fifth-wheel trailer), and driver only (150 pounds).

*Weight of additional options, passengers, cargo and hitch must be deducted from this weight

So YES that GVWR trailer at 7500# is more than the Durango's 7200# rating and the Sequoia's 7400#
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
No question I will not buy anything until knowing everything! I am not an impulse buyer and my friend is in no rush to sell. Thank you

path1
Explorer
Explorer
IMO DO NOT buy anything until you understand your second question in detail and "no" is not a dumb question. Lots of info here and on line.

OK, second question about the tow vehicle. The plan was to get a Dodge Durango Hemi which has a capacity of 7200 pounds. The GVWR on this trailer is, I think, 7500 pounds. Is this a bad idea? Do I have to include the weight of passengers and luggage in the tow vehicle against the tow capacity (I know this sounds like a dumb question but I am really new to this).
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"