cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2011 Tahoe Pulling Passport 2650BH Travel Trailer - Advice

clint_settle
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I purchased a 2014 Keystone Passport 2650BH (31ft w/ hitch, 4800# dry weight)and need some additional advice on towing with our 2011 Tahoe, 5200# tow capacity, 5.3L V8, 3.08 rear ratio. Dealers said we can do it, so here we are, but nervous about being at our max.

Understanding we are very near our max tow for the Tahoe, does anyone have any advice or see any major challenges making this work?

Having sway bars, WDH and break controls installed. Not sure if we have a trans cooler. Checking on that.
- Estimating roughly 3, typically flat land trips, per year (200-300 miles, if that)
- Estimating 1 longer trip, summer time, mainly flat, but one 10
mile slight incline stretch through TN/GA state line (about 800 miles)

1. Can we make this work with the Tahoe, based on the specs and usage above, with minimal risks of issues and safely? Can we do it?

2. Any additional options to improve safety, anticipated problem areas, gas mileage, etc.

Thanks for your input!!

Clint
20 REPLIES 20

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
clint.settle wrote:
Wife and I purchased a 2014 Keystone Passport 2650BH (31ft w/ hitch, 4800# dry weight)and need some additional advice on towing with our 2011 Tahoe, 5200# tow capacity....

Clint, you aren't close, you are overweight.

If you are looking at the yellow sticker on the TT itself it should be an accurate weight. If you are looking at the advertised weight, be aware that is with no accessories. Your TT will weigh more than the advertised weight.

Passengers in the Tahoe are subtracted from the tow capacity. All additional gear in the Tahoe is subtracted from the towing capacity.

Water weighs 8.3# per gallon - 30 gallons of water adds 250#.

Most RVers probably carry 1,000# additional to the empty TT weight. You do plan on eating, changing clothes, etc? We pack very light in our popup but still add about 500#.

+1

Our trailer 4370 dry, 4913 empty of gear, and 6006 lbs loaded WITHOUT water translates to 1093 lbs of gear and food for a family of 5.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
clint.settle wrote:
Wife and I purchased a 2014 Keystone Passport 2650BH (31ft w/ hitch, 4800# dry weight)and need some additional advice on towing with our 2011 Tahoe, 5200# tow capacity....

Clint, you aren't close, you are overweight.

Looks like that is your axle weight, add the tongue weight and you are already over the towing capacity with your TT empty.

If you are looking at the yellow sticker on the TT itself it should be an accurate weight. If you are looking at the advertised weight, be aware that is with no accessories. Your TT will weigh more than the advertised weight.

Passengers in the Tahoe are subtracted from the tow capacity. All additional gear in the Tahoe is subtracted from the towing capacity.

Water weighs 8.3# per gallon - 30 gallons of water adds 250#.

Most RVers probably carry 1,000# additional to the empty TT weight. You do plan on eating, changing clothes, etc? We pack very light in our popup but still add about 500#.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
In case you haven't already, check the yellow sticker on the trailer for "actual" weight as optioned. Our tt's actual dry weight was more than 600lbs. over the advertised weight. Best of luck.

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
I have a close comparison for you....

My initial setup:

2012 GMC Acadia (5200 lb towing limit and 1397 lb payload)
2004 TrailCruiser 30QBSS (4370 lb dry weight and 6006 lb loaded)

I have 3 kids, DW, dog, bikes, and 5 rats in the vehicle. Everything else in the trailer.

I was over payload, over GCWR, over max tow rating, over rear axle rating.... and I THOUGHT that I was under.

Two camping trips with above setup:

Acadia pulled easily, some temp rise with inclines

Acadia stopped fine, trailer brakes setup well

Sway was minimal.

Take it easy and you can do it with the Tahoe, you have a body on frame vehicle and that is already a step above my unibody Acadia.

I have Airlifts in the rear coils of the Acadia, otherwise the WDH didn't even do enough. I would consider adding AirLifts or helper springs to your Tahoe.

You can do it, but you will be overweight a little bit.

clubhouse
Explorer
Explorer
Have you taken possession of the Travel Trailer yet? If not, I would seriously consider stopping that purchase and take a minute to plan you next move.

IMO the Tahoe isn't going to do well pulling that trailer. If you buy the trailer in short order you will be buying a new tow vehicle. I did, many others have done it, and you are about to do it too. I tried to pull a 29' dry weight 5300, ready to camp weight 5900, with a Tahoe. It never stranded me but it wasn't fun...after 1 summer I bought a Duramax.

If you don't mind a new tow vehicle keep on this path, if you absolutely don't want to have to buy a new tow vehicle --- fund a smaller/lighter trailer.

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
clint.settle wrote:
Wife and I purchased a 2014 Keystone Passport 2650BH (31ft w/ hitch, 4800# dry weight)and need some additional advice on towing with our 2011 Tahoe, 5200# tow capacity, 5.3L V8, 3.08 rear ratio. Dealers said we can do it, so here we are, but nervous about being at our max.

Understanding we are very near our max tow for the Tahoe, does anyone have any advice or see any major challenges making this work?

Having sway bars, WDH and break controls installed. Not sure if we have a trans cooler. Checking on that.
- Estimating roughly 3, typically flat land trips, per year (200-300 miles, if that)
- Estimating 1 longer trip, summer time, mainly flat, but one 10
mile slight incline stretch through TN/GA state line (about 800 miles)

1. Can we make this work with the Tahoe, based on the specs and usage above, with minimal risks of issues and safely? Can we do it?

2. Any additional options to improve safety, anticipated problem areas, gas mileage, etc.

Thanks for your input!!

Clint

Forget your gas mileage. That's the least of your worries. By the time you load your trailer and your Tahoe, you're going to be quite a bit over your max. I have a Nissan Pathfinder with a tow capacity of 6000 lb., and I'm debating towing a 3800 lb. TT and probably not going to do it. Please get a very good brake controller (I like Prodigy). Making your trailer stop will be a concern, so as already mentioned, go slow. Definitely get a transmission cooler. Please be careful.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
I tow heavy, so take my comments that way 🙂

If you do not have transmission cooler, you can (and likely will eventually) glaze the clutches and/or'burn up' your transmission.

Go slow. 50 mph is a good number. It will fade from 45-60 depending upon terrain and traffic. If you're not in a hurry, you'll be happier!

Leave plenty of room on all sides as you drive. At leasat triple the braking room, an 'escape route' when someone cuts you off- and they will when they see that beautiful space you are keeping for safety.

Of course, WDH.

Hauling at or near max is not to be taken lightly. You will notice your inexperience. Do you have the chance to tow something lighter and SHORTER first?

An open cargo trailer or something like that where you can see OVER the trailer...maybe in the range of 16ft or so would be helpful.

Seriously. Borrow one if you can. You WILL learn and be happy you did 😉

I've been towing loads of all sizes for over 40 years. Take the 'payload' discussions as educational and definitely pay close attention to tips and cautions about handling, backing, etc.

It's like anything else. Go slow and use an abundance of caution when starting out. Call on an experienced buddy to guide and train you in a parking lot if you can. Fortune favors the prepared.

skwid
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 32 foot with our 2004 Tahoe. It's got a 7500lb towing capacity. HD tow package, trans cooler, WD hitch, sway, etc... I run about 5800lbs loaded and it tows fine. It's not ideal but it's ok for now. I do plan to purchase a 2500 HD next year due to comfort for longer more difficult trips but I stay in my area mostly and it does fine. You should make absolutely sure you have a trans cooler on that dude before you go too far though.

TravelingTeache
Explorer
Explorer
We are pulling a 32' TT with our 2012 Yukon, and it beats my husband to death! We are getting ready to trade it for a 2014 Sierra 2500 HD Diesel. Lesson learned.
2003 Timberlodge Travel Trailer
2015 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Diesel
The Traveling Teacher

APT
Explorer
Explorer
All 2009+ Tahoe 5.3L have the 6-spd. Payload should be verified as you said, but 1500-ish pounds is typical. I test drove a Yukon Denali before buying my 3/4 ton with 7400 GVWR and 1550 pounds of payload. I believe the other SWB SUVs only have 7200 pound GVWR, but also less equipment. 1500 pounds, 750 pounds of TW leaves 750 for family. Seems reasonable.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
I don't agree completely with the previous posters. 6-spd 3.08 is close to the older 4-spd with 4.10. Actually it is better with 4 usable towing gears and smaller gear spacing.

And there is risk to hooking up and towing for burning up the trans. Get a cooler.

Maybe...but does this Tahoe have the 6 speed...and there is still the big issue of PAYLOAD.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I don't agree completely with the previous posters. 6-spd 3.08 is close to the older 4-spd with 4.10. Actually it is better with 4 usable towing gears and smaller gear spacing.

And there is risk to hooking up and towing for burning up the trans. Get a cooler.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
5200# tow rating.......which is always over rated
4800# dry weight.......which is under rated

Just take two vehicles when you go camping.
One to tow the trailer empty and the other to bring all the stuff for camping.

Sorry but not enough tow vehicle.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Mvander
Explorer
Explorer
Your not going to be any worse off if you try it. If you end up changing tow vecicles you hitch gear will tranfer to the new one. Just for referance i have an older yukon 5.3 4spd with 3.73 and its rated for 7800#. Maybe a flat bed with cement blocks on it but not a tt. You may have a different experience with your 6spd but mine feels capped out with my 5500# tt.
Good luck.
55 FEET OF FAMILY FUN!
2014 F150 HD
2015 Grey Wolf 29DSFB