cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Towing Package

bassrats2
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, we have just purchased a new Toyota Tundra to pull our 25 foot Avion TT that weighs 7800 lbs (gross), We tried using tow haul switch and it seems to change back and forth even with a small hill. We have the
6-speed automatic sequential shift. It seems to work better without the tow haul switch. Need some advice from other people pulling with Tundras. Thanks
14 REPLIES 14

bassrats2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your comments about towhaul on our new Tundra. We are looking forward to our first trip in the new truck in 19 days. We are going to Topsail Hill for our 10th year and we can not wait. We will have to be careful on our payload, we cant take as much in the Tundra as we did in our dually.

kmfvfr
Explorer
Explorer
mastercraft1995 wrote:
Put it in Tow/Haul mode and leave it.

X2. I have tried S5 in my 2007 for a while when I first got it, and trust me, tow haul in "D" is the only way to go, and really the only way it works correctly, and I live around plenty of mountains in Utah, Nevada. The computer knows best!!
2008 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276 RBS
2007 Toyota Tundra TRD 5.7L :B
Prodigy Brake Controller
Yamaha EF2400iS Generator
Yamaha FJR1300

mastercraft1995
Explorer
Explorer
Put it in Tow/Haul mode and leave it.
2012 Tundra, Super White, Double Cab, 4x4, TRD, 5.7L
1999 Nash 25S

skyhammer
Explorer
Explorer
According to Toyota, tow mode operates the same way in every Model year 2007-13.
All the PDF's are the same for each year.
The tow mode light will come on when pressed in "S" mode, but it does nothing.
Once you read the PDF you will see why it is impossible for tow mode to work in "S"mode.
Every feature in tow mode is tied to the computer selecting the proper gear, controlling how the throttle operates,etc.
"S"mode by definition is a full manual mode. There is nothing wrong with using "S" mode and certain situations it is the better choice,but for most people tow modes works just fine in most situations as long as you don't exceed the parameters for it to operate correctly.
2011 Host Everest, 11.5',triple slide.
2011 F-350,DRW,CC,LWB,4X4,6.7

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
To the OP, 5th and 6th gear are essentially overdrive gears. My suggestion is that you place your transmission in S mode, click it to 5th gear and put it in tow/haul mode. Perhaps S mode locked out tow/haul in earlier trucks, but I know my 2010 still allowed use of tow/haul in S mode.

By putting it in 5th gear it keeps the trans from shifting into 6th gear, which is a very high ratio gear. This prevents your trans from constantly shifting between 5th and 6th gear. That keeps your trans heat down, keeps wear and tear on the drivetrain down and helps improve your fuel economy.

When approaching a steeper incline I like to manually downshift before the hill and get my rpm's up prior to the hill.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

skyhammer
Explorer
Explorer
Goldstalker wrote:
I agree use tow/haul and lock out 6th gear.

Tow/haul mode is disabled in "S" mode.
From the shop manual,"
The conditions required for tow/haul control to operate are as follows:
- Shift position: D position (Tow/haul control does not operate in the S position)."

The owners manual does a poor job of explaining how tow/haul mode works, therefore there is a lot of misinformation on what tow/haul mode does and the parameters in which in works best.
Most complaints about tow mode allowing the tranny to shift into one of the overdrive gears is the result of people towing at to fast of a speed.Once you get much above 55MPH, you have exceeded the parameters of the programming.
here are a few other things that tow mode does.
" Throttle Control
Throttle control changes the relationship between the accelerator pedal depression angle and the throttle
valve opening angle.
 During tow/haul control, the throttle valve
opening is increased by throttle control. As a
result, acceleration performance is ensured."
"Shift Schedule Control
The shift schedule control changes the upshift and downshift schedules during tow/haul control.
 For the upshift schedule, the upshift timing is changed to higher vehicle speeds, enhancing the use of
lower gears. As a result, drivability is ensured."
"For the downshift schedule, the downshift timing is change to a wider throttle valve opening angle,
enhancing the use of higher gears. As a result, the frequency of gear changes is reduced, allowing optimal
shift quality."
"Wide Open Throttle Shift Timing Control
Due to wide open throttle shift timing control, upshift timing is delayed to make use of high engine power
when the accelerator pedal is fully opened.
 Wide open throttle shift control operates in 1st, 2nd and 3rd during tow/haul control."
"Powertrain Cooperative Control
Through cooperative control with ETCS-i (Electronic Throttle Control System-intelligent) and ESA
(Electronic Spark Advance), and electronic control of the engagement and release speed of the clutch and
brake hydraulic pressures, excellent response and shift shock reduction have been achieved."
There is a lot more information, including diagrams that explain in detail what I have put in quotes.
I am willing to email the PDF's to some of you that would like them.
I also have the PDF's for nearly every component of the Tundra.
I have one the first Tundras made and help run a 20,000+ member Tundra forum.
2011 Host Everest, 11.5',triple slide.
2011 F-350,DRW,CC,LWB,4X4,6.7

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
I generally do not use Tow/Haul when towing. I would be interested to know more precise detail about what T/H actually does. Not much information available except that it changes shift points and the manual says you will get slightly poorer MPG in T/H.

In T/H the transmission will try to utilize 6th which at least in Colorado it cannot hold with even a slight incline. So it will unlock the torque converter which feels like a slight shift, and if that is not enough it will downshift to 5th. It might also lock or unlock the torque converter multiple times in 5th or even shift to 4th. For this reason I will generally drive with the selector in S5. The torque converter will stay locked up and there is not all the hunting around by the transmission. BTW even if you have T/H selected it is deactivated if you use S shift mode.

For engine braking on hill decent, I also don't find T/H aggressive enough for lower gear selection. I use S mode and select the gear that gives the necessary engine braking.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

Goldstalker
Explorer
Explorer
I agree use tow/haul and lock out 6th gear.
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3.73
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
2-2012 Yamaha VX Deluxe
2012 Toyota Highlander

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Turn on tow/haul and put shifter in 4th or 5th. On long or steeper inclines use 4th-for short or lower inclines use 5th.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I leave tow/haul on all the time when towing as it changes the shift points and other things for some sort of an advantage, though I'm not sure what that is. I figure the software is smarter than me so I keep it on. It will still shift in hills as you describe. To be honest, I've never noticed much difference with it on or off except it shifts a bit different.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

ifd22
Explorer
Explorer
I'll use drive and tow mode on back roads. It will stay in gear longer before upshifting, and it firms up the shifts. problem with drive however, is it will eventually look to go to 6th gear which is to high of a gear for any towing duty. On the interstate I'll manually select 5th. If I'm pulling a hill and it won't stay in 5th, i'll select 4th. I haven't found a interstate grade I couldn't pull in 4th. The torque converter locks up in 4th, 5th and 6th, however it won't lock in 4th if you have the shifter in 5th, 6th or drive.
2019 Primetime lite Crusader
2018 Ram 2500 Crewcab CTD
Andersen hitch

checca
Explorer
Explorer
The tow/haul switch on my 2010 does more than just change the shift points...Well thats what my tech at the shop tells me. I've seen what you describe, but I've always towed with it in tow mode. Towing my cargo trailer I get 1 mpg better in tow mode than not ... Never tired when towing my rv.
2013 Lacrosse 318bhs
2010 Toyota Tundra Crew max 5.7 flex fuel
Installed airlift ultimate 5000 air bags and smart lift automatic leveling system.
Minooka, IL.

zackyboy3rs
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, I had rather kept my Tundra but what is done is done.
2009 Chevy Silverado LTZ 2500HD 6.0L, 3.73, Gas sipper
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS

zackyboy3rs
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2010 Trd, 2wd, 5.7 and loved it. My TT is 5700 dry - 7500 GVWR. I had no problem and had more gitty up & go than my 2500 does (tundra weighted less of corse). Did not have the problem you mentioned. The ONLY reason I switch was found the 2500 and cost basically nothing to trade & MOSTLY because of the payload difference 3200 vs. 1500 lbs.

I hope my info helped some.
2009 Chevy Silverado LTZ 2500HD 6.0L, 3.73, Gas sipper
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS