cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2012 Viewfinder Signature Leaking Slideout Problem

wfred
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 Cruiser Viewfinder Signature 28BHSS with one slideout. After camping in the rain last week, I noticed I have water leaking in the corners of my slideout on the floor. It has soaked the carpet and caused the MDF trim to bubble and peel the veneer. This camper spends 45+ weeks a year stored inside a climate controlled building, I've never even winterized it.

I called the warranty desk at Cruiser RV and the gentlemen I spoke with was an absolute jerk. He was condescending and rude and was pleased to inform me that warranty is just a year so I am on my own. I didn't expect much from the warranty desk but I was blown away by the disrespect shown by their staff. Needless to say, this is my last Cruiser RV product.

Have any of you encountered leaky slideouts and if so, how have you resolved it? I am on my own for this one and I have no idea where to even begin. Replacing the trim is easy, I can mill up some new cherry baseboard and it will be better than the cheap MDF******that was there before. I'd like to make this watertight before I begin the repairs.

Thanks,

Fred
2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ Z71
2012 Viewfinder Signature 28BHSS
5 REPLIES 5

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Have a similar problem and determining the actual problem is tricky.

Sounds like you are on the right track.

In my case, it appears that a piece of plastic on the bottom side of the slide, which acts as a "drip line", is actually routing water into the trailer. When it was raining I went out and could actually see water dripping from the end of it onto the trailer floor.

Your issue sounds similar. I'm going to remove the "drip line", inspect everything, and hopefully just reacaulking it will fix it.

By the way, my trailer is still under warranty, but I would much rather do the repairs myself if possible. Especially issues like this which can be tricky to diagnose and correct.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

rugermark2
Explorer
Explorer
wfred wrote:
floor. I think If I add some garage door weatherstripping to the slideout itself and then silicone that to the end of the aluminum track, hopefully the water will run out rather than in.

I would suggest you use ProFlex, it sticks and seals better than silicone.
2011 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins
2015 Cougar 29RLI

wfred
Explorer
Explorer
Upon closer inspection, I have some seriously large gaps in the rubber seal on the sides of the slideout where it was cut out to fit around the aluminum guide track on the top and bottom of each side of the slideout itself. What I assume is that water is running down the aluminum track, through the gap in the seal, and dripping off the end of the aluminum track and onto the floor. I think If I add some garage door weatherstripping to the slideout itself and then silicone that to the end of the aluminum track, hopefully the water will run out rather than in.

Fred
2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ Z71
2012 Viewfinder Signature 28BHSS

4x4Bob
Explorer
Explorer
Fred
I would like to suggest to you to preform a Leak Test. This is where air pressure is pumped into the unit and then soapy water is sprayed every where on the out side. Bubbles will appear where there are leaks.

You will know for sure where the water is coming in and you might discover more then you thought you had.

Most RV shops will do this for about $100.00. They will give you a report and then you can decide either to fix it your self or have them do it.

Bob
2001 2500 Silverado LS 4x4 6.0, 4.10
2007 Jayco Eagle 288RLS
Cocktails for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2
--------------------
End of dirt road, no signs in sight, sun going down: I am not lost, just getting ready to go camping.

rugermark2
Explorer
Explorer
On my last trailer I had redo the seals on the slide, including the one underneath. Make sure to use lots of proflex. You'd shouldn't have any problems with it. I used a garden hose to test it afterwards.
It seems like most manufacturers only care about you during the sale, and during your warranty, after that they wash their hands of you.
2011 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins
2015 Cougar 29RLI