cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2013 KZ Sportsman converter problems

smokedbystang
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 KZ Sportsman 170 and the battery is not charging when plugged into 30a power. The microwave and A/C work but none of the 12v accessories, lights come on due to the battery being dead. I'm assuming its the converter (WFC WF-8735-P). The small fan does not come on but not sure it that is an indication.
As a short term fix due to camping this weekend, can I plug in a Battery tender Jr. and hook it up to a good battery while its connected to the trailer? Will this keep the battery charged while in use and will it do any damage?
I will replace the converter at a later date. Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
One of our previous trailers had a single stage converter in it. I added an IOTA-55 deck mount converter in the pass through, disconnecting the original converter and just using it as a distribution center. That IOTA now resides in the current trailer to suppliment the WFCO.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

smokedbystang
Explorer
Explorer
The lights would go dim after a few days with the 3 year old battery. I put in a new battery and the Voltage is 12.70 while plugged in. Definitely not charging. I am going to order a new panel on Amazon ($110) and hopefully that will do it.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would start by checking the out put of your converter. Are you seeing at least 13.6 v when plugged in? If you are then your converter is working and the problem is either in your battery or the wiring. You said with a new battery every thing works but the lights go dim in a few days, a good battery should last a week or more without the converter assuming you are not leaving the lights on, only turning them on to check your battery. Check the voltage reading at the battery and post back what your reading is, that will help diagnose the problem.

smokedbystang
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the info. I'll try to get it all sorted out next week.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
WFCO converters are junk, so it is reasonably safe to assume it is at least part of the problem.

Randy at Best Converter can steer you straight on a non-WFCO replacement that will be a easy swap out that is designed to replace the WFCO.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Then its safe to say your probably be right about the converter. Try the tender, unless you have a bigger charger. Some will charge the battery with jumper cables also. If your driving around a bit some make a pig tail from the 7 pin conecter to charge while they drive around. I think the tender and jumper cables are your best bet.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

smokedbystang
Explorer
Explorer
The battery is out of the trailer. I have not replaced it yet. Without it, I dont have lights or a working fridge.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
It should work while plugged in without a battery? Did you replace the battery? If you hooked it up wrong, its diffrent then you would think. There is also a fuse alongside the battery ( usally) they go bad sometimes. Black to + white to - . ( usally).
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

smokedbystang
Explorer
Explorer
All the fuses look good. With a good battery everything works. The only problem is the battery is not charging while plugged in to a 30a outlet. The lights start getting dim after a few days and eventually the battery dies. Is there a way to not use a battery and still have power to the lights and fridge? Very new to camping with a trailer. I always assumed a battery was only needed when no electricity was available.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Yes a battery charger off to the side will work, but a "tender" may not get you boosted enough to run the fridge etc while you are travelling.
Have you checked the fuses/breakers as well as ensuring a fuseable link to ensure reversed polarity has not been knocked out? Jumper cables from your tow vehicle to the trailer battery will let you ensure that power will go to the 12 volt appliances/lights etc when power is available at the battery.