cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2014, redo, foam in Dinnette Cushions

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
During our 2014 trip I found that my bones were quickly pushing through the foam on the dinnette seats... to the point that my rear end hurt.

I am more than 50 pounds lighter than I was just a few years ago.... it had to be worn out foam.

When we got home from our coastal trip from Lake Charles area to South Padre Island I made an upgrade my priority.

I'm pretty sure that a few of you might benifit by upgrading yours.
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare
58 REPLIES 58

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice job. . .! Looks like a lot of work but probably saved a bundle over having an upholsterer do it.

For those thinking of redoing their seat cushions I would recommend that they become knowledgeable with the TWO important characteristics of polyurethane foam.

Everyone understands density but the more important (in my opinion) factor is ILD (Indentation Load Deflection) rating.
Ask a good upholstery shop for samples of high ILD and various density foams and differences quickly becomes apparent.

I like an ILD of about 50 - and find it far superior to what most factory upholstery manufacturers use.
Furniture factories in general use a low ILD foam because at first blush, it feels soft and cushy - it makes the sale.

A high ILD on the other hand, does not feel soft and cushy at first feel. It's not so good for sales, so it's not, if ever, found as a standard upholstery material. (And it costs more.)

BUT, after sitting on the high ILD foam for a longer period of time, say an extended dinner with friends, food and drink, one will find that the high ILD foam cushion still feels comfortable.

When I get serious about replacing our camper seat cushions, I'll seek out an upholsterer and special order some 50 ILD custom cut cushions.
Google for: Foam ILD
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't mention how you chose the foam densities. I'd like to do something similar. Don't have a local vendor for checking out the foam.

Our AF cushions are similar but don't have the extra thickness of the soft foam. That would add to the ergonomic design for humans.

TC designers usually aren't human.

Or maybe they think more like a bridge designer.
Joe and Evelyn

run100
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job, sleepy. You should get years of enjoyment from the refurrbished cushions.
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

6pac
Explorer
Explorer
Great job!
Been wanting to do that to our's . Having it in a storage lot put a cramp in getting mods done. We've sold our home of 40 years and moved into a HOA home . Who did you order the foam from an how do you know the differences in the type of foam to order?
Chevy 2006 2500HD 4 x 4 Duramax / Allison srw cc sb Fh air bags
Lance 2005 model 881 Max
Doriece & Ernest ( 6pac )

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely great job. If you're not a teacher, you should be!!

Fastbrit
Explorer
Explorer
Wow Sleepy!! Helpfull and detailed as always.
1997 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD. Timbrens all around, Bilstein shocks.
2014 Chalet TS116

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
They feel very good when i'm sitting on them (instead of down in them).... very comfortable.

thanks for following along if you got this far....

Chet

BTW... Janet really likes them... and that's good enough for me.

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
I hope that this will help someone else.... I'd never seen a post on dinette seat rehab...
If i can do it... everyone else can too...

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
the interchangable seats and backs look good

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
spreading the white stuff allows the parts to move withoud sticking and tearing

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
One set in, One set outside waiting to be placed inside its cover

I inspected the covers carefully.... there was a very small tear along an edge... I repaired the area with a sewing nachine.

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Looking pretty good...

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer