cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2015 Chevy Colorado hands on impression

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
So my family and I are at Epcot and there GM sponsors a ride called Test Track. Pretty cool ride but my favorite part is the exit because GM stocks the exit area with some of their newest models.

There was a Colorado LT crew cab 2wd with leather and seems a lot options..touch screen etc etc. Looked like everything but 4x4.

Here are some pics I took of the important bits to someone who is considering buying one for towing.

Overall pic

Payload sticker pic

Receiver hitch label

Pic of the receiver

As to the impressions, the interior is very nice and comfy...the truck feels similar in size to a 1st gen Toyota Tundra Double cab.

The step in the bumper is useful and overall, I really like it.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~
49 REPLIES 49

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yeah it ain't nothin like the lean mean towin machine, Exploder Sport trac, but it'll do.
The new Colorados and Canyons will be pretty popular I think. No small or midsize trucks out except for the rice rides for a while now.....and a diesel option!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Fast0ne wrote:
Sorry but the sport trac is a pile of junk. Lmao

But guess what the new colorado already has a company that has built a computer reprogram.

Trifecta has gotten the little motor up 31ft pounds of torque and 27 whp. Also they are working on a s/c for it.

So end of the day it will make more power and torque then the v8 sport trac. And way more than the outdated 4.0 v6.

But all in all the truck should have got the 4.3. Can't wait to see the new diesel this year.

Man what are you smokin'?? Do you even have a clue about the Sport Trac and it's capabilities??

It's the same high output 4.6L 3V used in the newer 2009 and 2010 F150s with up to 320 lbs of torque at 4000 lbs in the F150s and 315 lbs in the Sport Tracs. That along with it's 292 HP at only 5600 rpms.

My 4WD truck was loaded with the 70 lbs factory bifold hard locking tonnea cover. Without it, my 'actual' payload was 1288 lbs which is great for a Crew Cab 4WD midsize (with a backseat a large man can use).

The truck never struggled pulling my Jay Flight 19BH, that weighed about 5000 lbs, in 40 mph Northern Indiana winds.

Had that truck bed loaded over 1000 lbs without even a sag or a whimper from it. Very reliable and quailty built. In fact it's been my most trouble free vehicle. Second only by my 2012 F150. My GMs and Chryslers never came close BUT we'll see on the new GM after all their fines. Bet it whipped them into shape and changed their company for the better.

The new Chevy looks good if it would only get rid of that Sports car engine that produced only average V6 performance in normal rpm operating ranges. As I said if GM actually thought for a minute, they should had used the new 4.3L which has great torque and HP for a V6 in a real world 'usable' rpm range.

I bet next years model will get the 4.3L.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Fast0ne
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry but the sport trac is a pile of junk. Lmao

But guess what the new colorado already has a company that has built a computer reprogram.

Trifecta has gotten the little motor up 31ft pounds of torque and 27 whp. Also they are working on a s/c for it.

So end of the day it will make more power and torque then the v8 sport trac. And way more than the outdated 4.0 v6.

But all in all the truck should have got the 4.3. Can't wait to see the new diesel this year.
2013 Holiday Rambler 187QB
2006 Chevy Colorado Xtream Crew Cab I5 240hp 250ft torque

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think your right Mike,

In most of the world there is a bunch of smaller and very capable trucks that can haul relatively heavy loads. Once this truck gets the small diesel in production it may gain a lot of buyers who want a smaller package but a lot of capability.

This truck may be popular with outdoorsmen too. Back when the Ranger, S10, Hardbody, and Tacoma were all competing in this segment nearly all of my hunting buddy's had small 4x4 trucks.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
That new engine sounds powerful until you do some calculation and find that at normal rpms, 4000 rpms for torque and 5400 - 5600 rpms for horsepower, that's it's actually less powerful than the current 4.0L Nissan engine at those rpms.

You'll have to wind it out like a clock on a race track to get it's 305 hp.

Otherwise it seems pretty nice and at least now it does have a fairly powerful engine in the rpms needed opposed to earlier offerings.

Still wouldn't want to pull a 5000 lbs trailer with it's low torque output and it's average HP, but would be a nicefor an R-Pod or equivalent.

I would had expected the new 4.3L direct injection "TRUCK" engine, not a 3.6L car engine, but it is what it is.

Don't know how to read GMs weird pics, but looks like 7500 tow rating/900 lbs tongue rating, which is really good for a midsize. That with it's great 1/2 ton payload really demands that 4.3L to make it a 1/2 ton fullsize replacement.

I bought my previous 2008 Sport Trac V8 4.6L 3V because of it's long wheelbase (same as Chevy Avalanche), it high torque V8, and it's higher payload, and it's higher rated 730 lbs tongue weight (7000 lbs tow rating) reciever hitch.

Sounds like the industry is finally getting closer with a truck that can meet the out of production Sport Trac.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.