Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2016 F450 Setup

Nautique200
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Guys,
I just ordered an F450 and I need to start thinking about the Superhitch and Torklift frame mounts. Where is the best place to buy these? I also plan on installing a set of the Upper Stable Loads and my wireless air compressor and air bags. I'll use the air compressor that is currently on my Ram.
2016 Ford F450

2015 Arctic Fox 1150
2009 Trails West Warm Blood Trailer
66 REPLIES 66

davidaf
Explorer
Explorer
Nautique200 wrote:
Very nice! I like it.

I had yet to see one in person until about two hours ago. I was walking with my wife on the beach in San Diego when we walked up on a brand new one. They are beefy.

Take a drive North on the 15 to Hemborg Ford in Norco and take a test drive. I think they have a lock on all the west coast inventory. There were exactly 4 on So Cal lots when I bought mine. Norco had 3 of them. Heck take a drive up to Temecula any time over the next two weeks and take mine for a test drive. We leave Huntington Beach for the Temecula area on Sunday. Not that I'm trying to spend your money or anything 😉
2016 - Heartland Landmark Newport
2006 - Lance 1181
2005 - Fleetwood Prowler AX6 365BSQS - San Felipe Mexico Getaway!
2016 - Ram 3500 DRW

mcc272
Explorer
Explorer
Using the excellent links posted by Bedlam and checking for the F450 PU, you simply subtract dimension J from K and get 44.3 inches. Not sure about clearance lights. I run a Northern Lite 10-2 CD SE on a 2013 F350 diesel, crew, 4x4, DRW, long bed with no clearance issues. It simply sits on a stall mat. Mine has clearance lights.
mcc272
2013 F350, Crew, 4x4, Diesel, DRW
2019 Airstream International Serenity 25 FBT

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
NICE and white is what I like as well.
Anybody has measurements from bed floor to top of the cabin handy?
I had to remove roof marker lights and still took some shimming to clear my camper on 2007 SD

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
davidaf wrote:
Nautique200 wrote:
David,
Would you mind posting a picture of your truck?

Here she is. First day we haven't had sun.

Dave, nice truck. Enjoy.

Nautique200
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice! I like it.

I had yet to see one in person until about two hours ago. I was walking with my wife on the beach in San Diego when we walked up on a brand new one. They are beefy.
2016 Ford F450

2015 Arctic Fox 1150

davidaf
Explorer
Explorer
Nautique200 wrote:
David,

Here she is. First day we haven't had sun.

2006 - Lance 1181
2016 - Ram 3500 DRW

davidaf
Explorer
Explorer
Nautique200 wrote:

--snip--
What question did I ask, since I am the OP? The problem I have with your post is your clearly making a statement that I am choosing the wrong truck and that I will have to live with the C$O$S$T of that decision. Please reread and notice where I have mentioned several times the Ram is a good truck but I feel I received a bad one. I'm also against going back to Ram at this point just because I have had a long drawn out experience and I need a change.

One of the "small" deciding factors when I went with Ford was the mess I experienced with Chrysler and my Grand Cherokee.. I needed a break from their politics and bull pucky. Unfortunately, i now have to deal with Ford's politics but I know what you are talking about.
2006 - Lance 1181
2016 - Ram 3500 DRW

Nautique200
Explorer
Explorer
egarant wrote:
Nautique200 wrote:
egarant wrote:
The axle rating is only one aspect in a whole lot of other calculations go into that final CCC rating (brakes, suspension, frame stiffness, etc.).

When I was looking for the truck with the highest cargo rating I was routinely disappointed in what I saw in the F450's glovebox.

I don't believe for a moment that any truck manufacturer is "downgrading" any ratings on their big trucks, they are always pushing the numbers higher to get bragging rights in that class.

The 450 is best for towing.
The 350 is best for cargo carrying.

But if you chose to "read between the lines" be prepared to live with the C$O$S$T of that decision.

No offense but the cost I have incurred by having my truck at the dealership over and over because it doesn't like any load on it is why I am jumping ship. Ram can't seem to fix it and I am through messing around with it. So the COST as you put it is coming from the Ram and if you can't look at the build components of the F450 and realize the advantages it has then by all means enjoy your Ram.

If you re-read my post, you will notice that I WAS NOT picking any one truck over another, just adding my two cents to the question the OP asked.

If you feel happy about trashing the truck I purchased because of the bad experience you say you had, then I hope your happy.

I've driven a full size American truck, all three brands for 40 years, don't imagine what I know or don't know about trucks.

What question did I ask, since I am the OP? The problem I have with your post is your clearly making a statement that I am choosing the wrong truck and that I will have to live with the C$O$S$T of that decision. Please reread and notice where I have mentioned several times the Ram is a good truck but I feel I received a bad one. I'm also against going back to Ram at this point just because I have had a long drawn out experience and I need a change.
2016 Ford F450

2015 Arctic Fox 1150

Bedlam
For those you considering a chassis cab, the suspension is stiff when unloaded unless you go with an aftermarket air suspension system. For those of you that like to "put foot your into it", you may also be disappointed at the tune used on these trucks. They are detuned to allow longer duty cycles at full output. My 2005 6.0 PSD had the same horsepower as my current 2015 6.7 CTD, but I have never felt a need or want for more since I have other vehicles that can fulfill my need speed much better than a truck.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

davidaf
Explorer
Explorer
BTW I fully agree with the cargo rating argument. I bought this truck to tow and to secondarily haul the lance which it does extremely well BTW. Much better than my 05 Ram DRW (that's not a knock on Ram, lots has changed since 05). I was extremely interested in a RAM 5500 fully built out with custom PU bed but the empty ride left a lot to be desired. Price OTD was comparable to my 450.

It came down to comfort and seat of the pants feel for my choice over the other trucks. Honestly the Wide Track front end won me over. Add 19.5s which i've wanted for years and I lost interest in other offerings. If my primary concern was CC i'd have bought the 5500.
2006 - Lance 1181
2016 - Ram 3500 DRW

davidaf
Explorer
Explorer
Nautique200 wrote:
David,

Would you believe after all that $ I never took a "centerfold" shot. the only profile pic I have is when she took a ride on a flatbed last week when I lost the low pressure fuel pump.

I'll put that on my todo list and post up.
2006 - Lance 1181
2016 - Ram 3500 DRW

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nautique200 wrote:
egarant wrote:
The axle rating is only one aspect in a whole lot of other calculations go into that final CCC rating (brakes, suspension, frame stiffness, etc.).

When I was looking for the truck with the highest cargo rating I was routinely disappointed in what I saw in the F450's glovebox.

I don't believe for a moment that any truck manufacturer is "downgrading" any ratings on their big trucks, they are always pushing the numbers higher to get bragging rights in that class.

But if you chose to "read between the lines" be prepared to live with the C$O$S$T of that decision.

No offense but the cost I have incurred by having my truck at the dealership over and over because it doesn't like any load on it is why I am jumping ship. Ram can't seem to fix it and I am through messing around with it. So the COST as you put it is coming from the Ram and if you can't look at the build components of the F450 and realize the advantages it has then by all means enjoy your Ram.

If you re-read my post, you will notice that I WAS NOT picking any one truck over another, just adding my two cents to the question the OP asked.

If you feel happy about trashing the truck I purchased because of the bad experience you say you had, then I hope your happy.

I've driven a full size American truck, all three brands for 40 years, don't imagine what I know or don't know about trucks.
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears, 013 Eagle Cap 950, 480 Watts Solar, 3K Victron Multiplus II, Victron smart DC-DC charger, Victron 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
2BLAZERS wrote:
egarant wrote:

When I was looking to replace my 2011 Ram 3500 12,200 GVW my conclusion was I either needed to go real big, ie Ram 5500 flatbed and then purchase a new/used daily driver too,

or

learn to live with a 14K rated 2016 Ram 3500 that I received 08/28. 🙂

The 14K rated trucks do great with the smaller but bigger 🙂 campers like my AF 1150 but yay I'm not going to put a 4 slide Host or something on it and tow. And I can still drive my dually to work as my daily driver.

There are some companies that take F550 / Ram 5500 and fit a 9' truck box to it to make it look like a pickup but the $$$.

I really liked the Ram 5500 and flatbed but really just don't want to deal with another car/suv/truck at home to be my daily driver.

I agree 100%
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears, 013 Eagle Cap 950, 480 Watts Solar, 3K Victron Multiplus II, Victron smart DC-DC charger, Victron 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

Nautique200
Explorer
Explorer
egarant wrote:

2016 Ford F450

2015 Arctic Fox 1150