cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2016 Jayco 338 rets

ToneDog
Explorer
Explorer
Well, rather than going with a light fifth wheel it looks like I may be pulling the trigger on a very heavy TT. 2016 jayco 338 rets. Couple questions for you pros:

1. My TV is a 2015 f250 diesel Crew cab short bed. Weighed in at 8350 with full tank and 2 passengers, leaving payload at 1650 (10k gvwr). How will this do? I will be at payload max assuming 15% of 11k trailer gvwr. Still well within rear axle weights and
Gcvwr.

2. Dealer was gonna throw in an equalizer e2 wd hitch. They said I didn't need an e4 with my truck. Should I cough up the extra dough and go with an e4 or Hensley anyway?

Appreciate your help!
2016 Jayco Eagle 338 RETS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 4x4 CC Diesel
10 REPLIES 10

ToneDog
Explorer
Explorer
Good to know about the tongue weight. I will probably go with the 1400 and Weigh everything loaded. If I'm over I'll upgrade the hitch.

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
If I had to guess your tongue weight won't be too high with two slides behind the axles.

As far as the Hensley/PP, yes you'll be over it's limits. Plenty of people doing it. I personally chose not to because I knew I wouldn't be 'slightly' over.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

Obewan
Explorer
Explorer
Had a 2015 338RETS. Loaded Tongue weight was 1200 lbs and used a HA. Worked great but I decided to switch to a fifth wheel to get a larger CCC. When my 338 arrived, it weighed 9900 lbs empty. Left me with very little CCC. Very good camper otherwise.
2015 DRV Mobile Suites 44 Lafayette Walden
2014 Ram Laramie 3500 dually

DrtEMaxChvy
Explorer
Explorer
ToneDog wrote:
Ok, dumb question, but what happens if I get the Hensley arrow or similar hitch rated for 1400 tongue weight, and the actual tongue weight comes in closer to 1600 when loaded up?

You'll be over weight. There are certain tolerances with the weight capacities slightly over the max advertised weight however if your over on a specific element of the entire system and there is an accident (for any reason) then the insurance company can state that the result would have been different and can deny all or some of your claim.

My fifth is weighed in at 10k totally loaded. I could have gone with the 15k reese or some other unit but I am an B&W self admitted fan boy so I went with the 18k slider. Overkill, well sure, but I will know that my weakest link is never be my hitch with proper operation use and service as needed. :B
2014 Silveraydo 2500 LML
: Fass 150 Lift Pump, Tuned, Firestone Airbags/incab controller, AFE intake, MBRP down pipe

2016 Jayco 29.5 BHDS 34'

ToneDog
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, dumb question, but what happens if I get the Hensley arrow or similar hitch rated for 1400 tongue weight, and the actual tongue weight comes in closer to 1600 when loaded up?

DrtEMaxChvy
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2013 F250 and I towed a horse trailer with it. It was 20' and loaded had a tongue weight nearly 1200. I suggest air bags for sure.
Don get the them from he dealer either. Autoanything.com has them for an excellent price. If you can afford it add the in cab controller as well.
This will help with stability and the sag effect on the truck.
2014 Silveraydo 2500 LML
: Fass 150 Lift Pump, Tuned, Firestone Airbags/incab controller, AFE intake, MBRP down pipe

2016 Jayco 29.5 BHDS 34'

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I found a used Hensley and did a refurb job on it. Worked as advertised for my truck and trailer. Sold it for what I paid for it. If I ever went to a large TT such as yours I would definitely go HA or PP again. Try looking used if you can.

Lady_Fitzgerald
Explorer
Explorer
CampingN.C. wrote:
That's a lot of camper. I agree if you can afford it go with the Hensley or Propride. I'd have one myself but tongue weight is an issue and could be for you too. The Propride is rated at 1400lbs, not sure about the Hensley.
The Reese DC is another option, one that I'm using. However, it's taking me several trips to get dialed in and I still feel it could be better.
And don't take the dealers advice on ANYTHING in regards to actual towing!

The Hensley is also only 1400 lb. tongue weight.
Jeannie

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
That's a lot of camper. I agree if you can afford it go with the Hensley or Propride. I'd have one myself but tongue weight is an issue and could be for you too. The Propride is rated at 1400lbs, not sure about the Hensley.
The Reese DC is another option, one that I'm using. However, it's taking me several trips to get dialed in and I still feel it could be better.
And don't take the dealers advice on ANYTHING in regards to actual towing!
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cough up the extra money if you can afford it. I tow a very similar load with my F250 7.3L diesel and can tell you your truck will certainly know that trailer is hooked on to it. My trailer is 10,000lbs gvwr and the tongue weight is right around 1300lbs most of the time. Yes, I realize that there have been many improvements in trucks since mine was built in 2002. I have made improvements in mine also. :W

I would not want to tow the size trailer you are talking about with an E2 hitch. I used to tow with a Reese hitch with the Dual Cam sway control but switched to a Hensley some years ago - not because my trailer towed poorly but because I wanted to see what all the talk was about. I have been very glad that I did it many times and have posted about at least one of them here. It makes for a very relaxing tow and you are still ready to do things when you arrive at your destination after a 6 or 7 hour towing day.
Good luck. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine