cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 F-150HD or F-250?

mhamershock
Explorer
Explorer
I tow an Attitude 27CBG toy hauler. GWVR is 9900, tongue @ 15% of max is 1485. Real world is more like 8500 max for me and about 1100 tongue. I'm putting 4500-ish on the rear axle of the current tow rig. I am overloaded by 5%. 🙂

F-150HD RAWR is 4800, payload around 2500 on a 7850 GVWR in the HD Supercrew spec I'd buy. The F-250 6.7l diesel is 6340 RAWR and about the same payload at a 9900 GAWR in the spec I'd buy.

Obvious differences with lots more headroom on the F250, but I'm not getting a bigger trailer. Unless the DW says otherwise. 😉 I don't tow a lot (5-6x a year) and the truck will be a daily driver for me.

So which one? Opinions?

Thanks!

Mike
203 REPLIES 203

Maury82
Explorer
Explorer
Hammerboy wrote:
Maury82 wrote:
Groover wrote:
I would love to see one of the truck sites do a head to head comparison between your truck and a 250.

Same here...an Extreme Ike Gauntlet between a HDPP, Nissan HD, Gas 2500/F250 towing 11,500lbs.

The HDPP will out pull all of them, and will be in the ballpark when it comes to handling the load.

I know you love your truck and it is a great truck but the Ecoboost it isn't the obvious answer for everybody. For me personally I love driving my 2500 HD Duramax even when there isn't a trailer behind me so the ride is a non issue for me considering the benefits of a HD. My truck has a little under #2500 payload, about the same as a Eco 150 with the HDPP. But my truck WILL out pull and out handle a Eco 150. It weighs I'm guessing #2500 more so it's going to manhandle a trailer better - it just will. I used to have a Gm 6.0 gas and that truly was nails on a chalkboard pulling a trailer, I'm sure the Eco is a big improvement though

Bottom line is a gas 3/4 maybe slower but will have more payload or similar payload with a diesel and have monster towing power and better handling with either gas or diesel 3/4 ton.

Dan

Dan, I'm not a truck guy, and I don't really care much for trucks...I just needed one.

This truck is a pain in the rump to drive. It's big, long, bulky, gets in the teens MPG in the city, and it is just too cumbersome to me for anything except occasional personal use and towing. I like what it does, and it's the least compromise I can get to tow a heavy trailer.

And those big pig ears for mirrors are a pain when not towing.

It's a nice truck and it does what it is designed to do well, and that is why I like it. If it weren't for this truck, I'd be stuck with having to get a 3/4 ton, which it a much greater compromise than the HDPP.

And you are absolutely correct in that your HD diesel will out handle the HDPP towing a trailer, no doubt about that.

I was more curious about the difference in handling compared to a gass HD more so than the diesel. The HDPP will out pull any current gas HD within its ratings, but how much better will the gasser handle the heavy koad than the HDPP.

There have been questions as to why anyone would get the HDPP over a comparable equipped 3/4 to that has more capable handling.

It's all about what is considered a compromise to a person. That nice HD diesel of yours probably offers little compromise to you as a personal DD or a tow vehicle.

As a DD, the HDPP truck is nice "for a truck" and is very capable for towing within its ratings, but it is still a truck that I can get limited use out of it when not towing, but I wouldn't touch that larger, slower, and much more cumbersome diesel with a stick unless I have a trailer behind it.

Maury82
Explorer
Explorer
demiles wrote:
Maury82 wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
To the OP: Why not go all the way and get a GM 2500HD? Plenty of capacity combined with great driveability for about the same money. 3,000 pound payload with the gas engine. Designed from the ground up to be a 3/4 ton, not a 1/2 with a few upgrades to raise the ratings.

My take on why some go the F150 HD route over the F250-2500 route is that the F150 HD provides all the payload they need, a better unloaded ride (Subjective) and definitely better DD MPG.
Agree for the same $$$ you can get an equal 250-2500. I've noticed that the F150 base price is creeping closer to the F250. The margin is so narrow that by the time you equip the F150 with the HD option it's neck and neck with the F250.
That means nothing really as it's all in what each owner demands, wants or needs of their truck.

The quickness!!...the 3.5 EB is much quicker than both gas and diesel HD trucks, especially when passing a jerk.

Keep in mind, most drivers go really slow when they think you are stuck behind them, but will accelerate the moment they see you trying to pass...you need quickness.

When they accelerate to keep me from passing, I will sprint in front of them, and go the speed they were going when I was behind them... The EcoBoost difference between me being frustrated and counting to ten, and them frustrated.

You got to have the power out there.

Ignorance is bliss

It's not their fault they don't know, but sometimes you have to open their eyes to another perspective.

No question is a bad question.

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
demiles wrote:
Maury82 wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
To the OP: Why not go all the way and get a GM 2500HD? Plenty of capacity combined with great driveability for about the same money. 3,000 pound payload with the gas engine. Designed from the ground up to be a 3/4 ton, not a 1/2 with a few upgrades to raise the ratings.

My take on why some go the F150 HD route over the F250-2500 route is that the F150 HD provides all the payload they need, a better unloaded ride (Subjective) and definitely better DD MPG.
Agree for the same $$$ you can get an equal 250-2500. I've noticed that the F150 base price is creeping closer to the F250. The margin is so narrow that by the time you equip the F150 with the HD option it's neck and neck with the F250.
That means nothing really as it's all in what each owner demands, wants or needs of their truck.

The quickness!!...the 3.5 EB is much quicker than both gas and diesel HD trucks, especially when passing a jerk.

Keep in mind, most drivers go really slow when they think you are stuck behind them, but will accelerate the moment they see you trying to pass...you need quickness.

When they accelerate to keep me from passing, I will sprint in front of them, and go the speed they were going when I was behind them... The EcoBoost difference between me being frustrated and counting to ten, and them frustrated.

Ignorance is bliss
The good news, you're probably still able to learn.

demiles
Explorer
Explorer
Maury82 wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
TomG2 wrote:

Ignorance is bliss
2008 Jayco G2 28RBS
2016 Nissan XD 5.0L Cummins

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Maury82 wrote:
Groover wrote:
I would love to see one of the truck sites do a head to head comparison between your truck and a 250.

Same here...an Extreme Ike Gauntlet between a HDPP, Nissan HD, Gas 2500/F250 towing 11,500lbs.

The HDPP will out pull all of them, and will be in the ballpark when it comes to handling the load.

I know you love your truck and it is a great truck but the Ecoboost it isn't the obvious answer for everybody. For me personally I love driving my 2500 HD Duramax even when there isn't a trailer behind me so the ride is a non issue for me considering the benefits of a HD. My truck has a little under #2500 payload, about the same as a Eco 150 with the HDPP. But my truck WILL out pull and out handle a Eco 150. It weighs I'm guessing #2500 more so it's going to manhandle a trailer better - it just will. I used to have a Gm 6.0 gas and that truly was nails on a chalkboard pulling a trailer, I'm sure the Eco is a big improvement though

Bottom line is a gas 3/4 maybe slower but will have more payload or similar payload with a diesel and have monster towing power and better handling with either gas or diesel 3/4 ton.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

mhamershock
Explorer
Explorer
silverfz wrote:
How did you carry the dogs in the bed ?. I have a 90lb lab but with 2 kids we are struggling for space.

My next will be one of this i just did 700 miles on my tundra crewmax with 145k towing my 7300 lb loaded camper and it runs great. I hate smaller tank but other than that is just pulls. when i hit 200k i will add a F150HD .

I have an ARE MX series cap on the back. Lots of room for the dogs back there. I usually don't put anything but them and their beds in the bed.

Mike

silverfz
Explorer
Explorer
I saw a eariler post from some who asked why F250 are under rated by factory. As in my state F350 will be need commercial plates with a registration renewal of 300 and commercial insurance.Both extremely high. the F250 being below 10,000 can be registered as a regular vehicle .
2014 avenger 28 bhs
2008 Toyota tundra crew max
guarded by bear the mini dashound
running from payload police edition

Maury82
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
TomG2 wrote:

Maury82
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:

silverfz
Explorer
Explorer
How did you carry the dogs in the bed ?. I have a 90lb lab but with 2 kids we are struggling for space.

My next will be one of this i just did 700 miles on my tundra crewmax with 145k towing my 7300 lb loaded camper and it runs great. I hate smaller tank but other than that is just pulls. when i hit 200k i will add a F150HD .
2014 avenger 28 bhs
2008 Toyota tundra crew max
guarded by bear the mini dashound
running from payload police edition

Maury82
Explorer
Explorer
Powerdude wrote:
53k for a F150 HD?

Wow...

I paid more than 10k less than that for my F250 gas, and I know several people who got a diesel F250 for less than that...

Crazy stuff.

Enjoy it, it's your money.

Comments like this are like car keys on a chalkboard.

That 250 would be just too painful and frustrating to drive when not towing, and would be useless, therefore, it would have to be parked beside the trailer at all times.

A big gas/ diesel truck is just a one trick pony

At least with the 1/2 ton, there are some usage and trips that can be taken when not towing...well worth it.

Maury82
Explorer
Explorer
mhamershock wrote:
Quick update to this old thread - towed really heavy for the 1st time with my HDPP. 7k lb dry toy hauler loaded up with 3 motocross bikes, gear, tools, full water tanks, coming in just under GVWR at 9700 lbs. Towed I5 to Washougal MX park (1.5 hours for me) and it was easy. What a great tow vehicle.

Thank you.

It's only people like you who tow with the HDPP trucks who can enlightened us about towing heavy with a HDPP, and you are a viable source of information that is hard to come by.

When you gain more milage, and experience more varied situations, update this post when you can.

There should be a post strictly for HDPP towing.

Maury82
Explorer
Explorer
mhamershock wrote:
I tow an Attitude 27CBG toy hauler. GWVR is 9900, tongue @ 15% of max is 1485. Real world is more like 8500 max for me and about 1100 tongue. I'm putting 4500-ish on the rear axle of the current tow rig. I am overloaded by 5%. 🙂

F-150HD RAWR is 4800, payload around 2500 on a 7850 GVWR in the HD Supercrew spec I'd buy. The F-250 6.7l diesel is 6340 RAWR and about the same payload at a 9900 GAWR in the spec I'd buy.

Obvious differences with lots more headroom on the F250, but I'm not getting a bigger trailer. Unless the DW says otherwise. 😉 I don't tow a lot (5-6x a year) and the truck will be a daily driver for me.

So which one? Opinions?

Thanks!

Mike

You should only consider the perspectives of those that tow heavy with the newer HDPP truck.

I'm a newbie, and there are very few members who tow heavy with a HDPP truck, but there is one guy up here name Mike.

Ask Mike, he knows.

I have a 8,400lb/ 9,900lb max TT 37ft, and a 2018 HDPP, XLT 3.5EB, 4x4, S.Crew, 2,472lb payload, 1,320lb hitch with the 6.5 box.

I'm breaking in my truck right now, and can't wait to start towing.

The HDPP will tow its ratings well. Get the HDPP, unless you just want the 3/4 ton truck, but the HDPP trucks will tow that trailer.

That EB and 10 speed is a much better power combination as a daily driver than even the diesel.

Go to the HDPP F150 forum for information, this is not the place to get information for towing heavy with 1/2 ton trucks.

Maury82
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
F150's receiver is rated for about 1,200 lbs of tongue weight.

F250 is the answer you are looking for.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

My 2018 HDPP has the exact same payload as as the OP, but with a 1,320lb hitch ratings.

It appears your 1,200lb hitch is an aftermarket or an obsolete hitch. I'd upgrade to the new hitch if I were you.

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the update. It's good to see all this laid out so people in the same boat can see the outcome/results. The HD F-150 is a great platform. Enjoy!
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK