cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2017 or newer F-450 issues

strikeu
Explorer
Explorer
Are there any "newer" F-450 owners here?

I have a 2012 F-450 and might be looking to trade for newer. I had heard there were some bugs (not official re-calls but still problems) with some of the 2017 or newer F-450s.

can anyone add an experience?

thanks in advance.
2018 RAM 3500 DRW 6.7L Cummins (daily driver RAM 2500 same engine)
2017 Forest River Crusader
1 wife, 2 Cats
Fly Navy
34 REPLIES 34

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
$300 bypass kit reduces the magnitude of the CP4 horror stories by about 90%.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
I don't own one but I spend at least 50 hours a week in a 2019 F450. I work for a very large cable utility company. In a 5-6 county area I've heard of no issues with a HPFP or any other major issues since the 6.4 days. Those however, well.........
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:
I suppose it depends on how long you intend on keeping the truck. If only a few years where most of them are under warranty then the CP4 pump is likely less of a concern.

Myself, I plan on keeping my truck for a very long time (likely until death do us part) so the long term cost of ownership and repairs was important to me. I just couldn't bring myself to chance playing Russian Roulette with the CP4 when at the time there were perfectly good trucks with the trusty CP3 (the Ram/Cummins used the CP3 until the new 2019 models came out).

My truck has almost 180k miles and almost 8 years old and has been out of warranty a long time ago and I'm still holding onto it.

If you plan on keeping your truck for the long haul be prepared to have it nickel and dime you as sensors and various materials age and start to fail. I recently had to have the evaporator coil replaced and last weekend I noticed by vacuum controlled front hubs stopped working and had to get out of the truck and put them into manual mode. I'll have to look at this issue if I want my auto hubs to continue to work.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
I suppose it depends on how long you intend on keeping the truck. If only a few years where most of them are under warranty then the CP4 pump is likely less of a concern.

Myself, I plan on keeping my truck for a very long time (likely until death do us part) so the long term cost of ownership and repairs was important to me. I just couldn't bring myself to chance playing Russian Roulette with the CP4 when at the time there were perfectly good trucks with the trusty CP3 (the Ram/Cummins used the CP3 until the new 2019 models came out).
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I find it strange that we all know the cp4 which has been out for years is a ticking time bomb yet Powerstroke and Cummins engineers are dumb enough to contnue to install these faulty pumps on their engines without checking with us forum members first.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

strikeu
Explorer
Explorer
I understand you're dilemma. However, when you type in CP4 (just those 3 characters) and google "auto fills" to --CP4 failure in Powerstroke

I think that pretty much a dead giveaway that there's more problems with powerstroke and CP4 than with anyone else...for whatever reason.
1 wife, 2 Cats
Fly Navy

Travlingman
Explorer II
Explorer II
strikeu wrote:
Grit Dog and Travlingman,

I don't know what you're looking for as for "data". I had some other pages that I closed out where between the ones I posted and the others, there was enough data to make a trend in my opinion.

I would love to see the number of Powerstroke engines sold from 2011-2017, how each was used, the number of failures of each part, the number of miles each engine had on it at the time of failure, and finally the cause and remedy of each failure...however I seriously doubt that is available to just anyone. if thats what you are asking me for, I don't have that.

However I do NOT find the amount of data regarding the RAM engines with this part, as I do the Ford Powerstroke.

my turn to ask you where you see that Cummins is putting the Eurpoean made Bosch CP4 fuel pump on it's engines. I have one in the driveway but it's dark and cold right now, I will go out and see if I can tell in the AM

Can't speak for Grit Dog, but when you said you had data I was expecting numbers to back up claims such as number of failures, not just I saw a bunch of posts on a forum.

As far as build numbers, I would say that by 2017 there would be around 1.5 million 6.7 powerstrokes produced. Here is a link to the 500,000 engine produced in 2013. I think I read about the millionth around 2015 or so.

Ram went to the CP4 in 2019 models.
2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah(sold)
2022 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4

strikeu
Explorer
Explorer
Grit Dog and Travlingman,

I don't know what you're looking for as for "data". I had some other pages that I closed out where between the ones I posted and the others, there was enough data to make a trend in my opinion.

I would love to see the number of Powerstroke engines sold from 2011-2017, how each was used, the number of failures of each part, the number of miles each engine had on it at the time of failure, and finally the cause and remedy of each failure...however I seriously doubt that is available to just anyone. if thats what you are asking me for, I don't have that.

However I do NOT find the amount of data regarding the RAM engines with this part, as I do the Ford Powerstroke.

my turn to ask you where you see that Cummins is putting the Eurpoean made Bosch CP4 fuel pump on it's engines. I have one in the driveway but it's dark and cold right now, I will go out and see if I can tell in the AM
1 wife, 2 Cats
Fly Navy

Travlingman
Explorer II
Explorer II
strikeu wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Well, what did you hear strikeu?
We all love rumors, conjecture and facts. Seems typically in that order as well. Lol.

the High pressure fuel pump fails a LOT in 2011-2017 6.7L powerstroke engines. there is a great many people trying to start a class action law suit on that issue. that particular fuel pump was made in Great Britain where the diesel is more "oily" than American specs. so when it runs with American standards diesel it disintegrates for lack of lubrication. it can destroy an entire engine to the tune of $10-15k.
it seems (no real data yet) that after 2017 there is a different fuel pump...so thats good if I am buying new, but not good for my 2012.

the next high fail item is / was the turbo. new turbo kits can be obtained but it seems the original turbo on the powerstrokes are some type of Rube Goldberg contraption that fails routinely. new turbo kits are ~$3k. this seems to be fixed in the 2015+ models,

bottom line is the 2017s are a bit too new to gather any real failure trends, but there are some significant data for the 2011-2017 6.7L powerstrokes. SO much that I am leaning back towards the RAM 3500.

strikeu wrote:
here is some of what I found. I closed the pages, so some simple searches will probably yield the same results

https://www.classaction.org/ford-diesel-fuel-pump-problem-lawsuits

https://www.claimspages.com/news/2018/11/28/classaction-lawsuit-proposed-against-ford-motor-company-for-6.7l-cp4-fuel-pump-failures/

https://www.littlepowershop.com/ford-6-7-powerstroke-diesel-common-issues-problems-and-fixes/

google powerstrokenation.com and look through the blogs. there is a TON of info on failures there. that page has a lot of pop-up ads so I have going there for long.

You said you had significant data. Could you post that. I looked at the articles you posted, and none have data. You can find a class action suit against about anything, including all vehicles.

I have a 2017 and the only issue I had was a cracked oil filter housing which was replaced under warranty. Had a 2012 before that and had a mirror go out after warranty and Ford picked up 1/2 the cost to replace.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Strikeu, your info is partially correct.
For lack of a long drawn out answer right now, know that Ram uses the same injection pump on their Cummins now that Ford is using.
Turbos got better in 2015 but older ones werenโ€™t failure prone as you think.
Both brands are solid IMO.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ACZL wrote:
Ford I believe had Nox sensor issues thus extended warranty for years '11-'14 (I could be wrong). My '15 F350 was problem free when I traded it w/ 30K miles. My '17 F350 DRW also had the block heater cord replaced along w/ the DEF heater. Now I have a Nox sensor issue which Ford is trying to deny it's bad because their data says "That use of aftermarket fuel treatment can cause problems". It's been back to dealer 2x w/ same problem, going back for 3rd time tmrw. Funny thing here is, had DW take it to a dealer near her workplace and they said they couldn't fix it because they wouldn't get paid for it due to another dealer already having diagnosed it. Some warranty thing.

Dealers will try anything to get out of warranty work and will also makeup โ€œproblemsโ€ that you canโ€™t live without fixing.
How theyโ€™d know whatever fuel treatment you used is either because they did some sort of fuel sampling and analysis and have data to back it up ( not likely at all). Or the service guy/mgr picked up on unnecessary info you provided and is attempting to use it against you to make some money off of you and your truck (far more likely).
Lesson learned, not just with vehicles, but one has to watch how much โ€œinfoโ€ they divulge.

strikeu
Explorer
Explorer
here is some of what I found. I closed the pages, so some simple searches will probably yield the same results

https://www.classaction.org/ford-diesel-fuel-pump-problem-lawsuits

https://www.claimspages.com/news/2018/11/28/classaction-lawsuit-proposed-against-ford-motor-company-for-6.7l-cp4-fuel-pump-failures/

https://www.littlepowershop.com/ford-6-7-powerstroke-diesel-common-issues-problems-and-fixes/

google powerstrokenation.com and look through the blogs. there is a TON of info on failures there. that page has a lot of pop-up ads so I have going there for long.
1 wife, 2 Cats
Fly Navy

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Ford I believe had Nox sensor issues thus extended warranty for years '11-'14 (I could be wrong). My '15 F350 was problem free when I traded it w/ 30K miles. My '17 F350 DRW also had the block heater cord replaced along w/ the DEF heater. Now I have a Nox sensor issue which Ford is trying to deny it's bad because their data says "That use of aftermarket fuel treatment can cause problems". It's been back to dealer 2x w/ same problem, going back for 3rd time tmrw. Funny thing here is, had DW take it to a dealer near her workplace and they said they couldn't fix it because they wouldn't get paid for it due to another dealer already having diagnosed it. Some warranty thing.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Travlingman
Explorer II
Explorer II
strikeu wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
We all love rumors, conjecture and facts. Seems typically in that order as well. Lol.

the High pressure fuel pump fails a LOT in 2011-2017 6.7L powerstroke engines. there is a great many people trying to start a class action law suit on that issue. that particular fuel pump was made in Great Britain where the diesel is more "oily" than American specs. so when it runs with American standards diesel it disintegrates for lack of lubrication. it can destroy an entire engine to the tune of $10-15k.
it seems (no real data yet) that after 2017 there is a different fuel pump...so thats good if I am buying new, but not good for my 2012.

the next high fail item is / was the turbo. new turbo kits can be obtained but it seems the original turbo on the powerstrokes are some type of Rube Goldberg contraption that fails routinely. new turbo kits are ~$3k. this seems to be fixed in the 2015+ models,

bottom line is the 2017s are a bit too new to gather any real failure trends, but there are some significant data for the 2011-2017 6.7L powerstrokes. SO much that I am leaning back towards the RAM 3500.

Could you post this data you have. No one has ever gave us exact numbers for this, just I saw this post on a forum about a failure. Glad someone is going to give us exact data so we can see the real failure rate and not just guesses anymore.

strikeu
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

1 wife, 2 Cats
Fly Navy