cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017+ Powerstroke 6.7 Fuel Filter

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I stumbled across an interesting video where the owner describes his field fix and spare fittings he now carries.

2017 and newer Powerstroke Fuel Filter

For those that owner these newer Fords, is the fuel filter and housing one integrated unit that require removing those three fuel lines to replace the filter?
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator
50 REPLIES 50

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"WHY ARE YOU YELLING CERTAIN WORDS AT ME? "

Seriously??? I emphasize a couple words and I am YELLING???

Didn't think you were the sensitive type. :B

That is generally what capital letters mean when you type them, yelling. It is a bit rude to do hence the reason why respectable(and normal) people don't do it unless they are mad or purposely being disrespectful to someone. Maybe that is why so many people here are at odds with you.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Going to try to get Ron to help with the 60 Aisin service before I head South in Sept. Chris"

I gots the tools. Need to figure out how to get more of the fluid out!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Flashman wrote:
After having done it a couple of times - I find the CTD filter change using the fender cut out access very easy 15 minutes max. A filter cap is a must to keep from making a mess. Easier in opinion than the older CTDs and having to do it from the bottom.

You should give the top a try. Worth checking the boost hose.

Intake tube RnR 10 min MAX. No special tools.

Two band clamps a hose clamp and a bolt. EZ CHEEZY

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"WHY ARE TOU YELLING CERTAIN WAORDS AT ME? "

Seriously??? I emphasize a couple words and I am YELLING???

Didn't think you were the sensitive type. :B

Flashman
Explorer II
Explorer II
After having done it a couple of times - I find the CTD filter change using the fender cut out access very easy 15 minutes max. A filter cap is a must to keep from making a mess. Easier in opinion than the older CTDs and having to do it from the bottom.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
deltabravo wrote:
I stumbled across an interesting video where the owner describes his field fix and spare fittings he now carries.

For those that owner these newer Fords, is the fuel filter and housing one integrated unit that require removing those three fuel lines to replace the filter?

To change the engine mounted fuel filter it requires removing the three fuel lines from the filter.

Is that another Ford better Idea?
Makes changing the two filters on our 2016 Ram 6.7 look like a piece of cake!!

Here's another one of those Ford better Idea's!

Oops... Wrong brand!

Having said that with a 172k miles and 7 years of ownership of my Super Duty it takes me ~15 minutes to change the fuel filters and I haven't broke a connector to date.

CTD owner here and I agree with Fish on that one!!
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
ShinerBock wrote:

But hey, if you like taking off your air cleaner very 15k, then go nuts.

No reason to remove the air filter or filter housing just the hose from the filter box to the turbo inlet.

After changing the oil filters on the two B150's in the boat by braille method for 19 years the 2015 is a piece of cake. Not as easy as the old 2001.5 or the 93, but I have it down to a good routine on the 15.

Just did it last week for the 8th time, all from the top.

Used my new Magic Creeper. Really like it. Did not even feel the 5/8 gravel.

Going to try to get Ron to help with the 60 Aisin service before I head South in Sept. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Oops... Wrong brand!

Having said that with a 172k miles and 7 years of ownership of my Super Duty it takes me ~15 minutes to change the fuel filters and I haven't broke a connector to date.

After getting this oil filter cap-off tool, changing my oil every 15k is a lot cleaner. I am 6'1" with big hands and can easily fit them through there when changing the oil so it really isn't as bad as you are insinuating. Even without the tool it would take less than 30 minutes to change the oil although it was a lot messier.

From the top is MUCH better as you can give the Turbo a spin and also look over the hoses and check clamp tightness. Found this when going from the top. YUP replaced under warranty.

BTW I don't spill a drop and DON'T need any special tools. Takes a couple minutes while my oil is draining.

WHY ARE TOU YELLING CERTAIN WAORDS AT ME?

I prefer the other method. Besides, those hoses are aftermarket on mine because that intercooler side of hose you have pictured had a lot of bubbles when I checked for boost leaks on my truck, my brothers truck, and a several friends trucks. It is notorious for leaking and has to be replaced since it is not a clamp. I fixed it better than OE with no leaks and I only need to check it every 50k miles when I clean my air filter.

But hey, if you like taking off your air cleaner very 15k, then go nuts.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Ram engine mounted lift pumps and VP injection pumps"

Nothing wrong with the VP44 as long as it has fuel being pushed to it. Lift pimp goes then so does the VP44. Lift pump is the weak link.

My 01 VP44 is stock at 135k. The original owner installed an AirDog filter/pump around 70k.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Home Skillet wrote:
Guy ham fisted the fuel filter change. Now he's a hero.

Eggzactly! Every vehicle has its engineering oversights, minor inconvienences or in some cases outright fails.
Not being brand specific I'll list a few of the highlights I've seen or experienced over the years.
Ford TTB axles.
Ford lack of small block engine parts interchangeability (Windors, Clevelands and Modifieds)
Ford 2017 diesel fuel filter (apparently, but in the very minor sense)
Ford blowout and or snap off spark plugs. (Definitely in the outright fail category)
6.0 and 6.4....nuff said.

Oh wait, not being brand specific....lol.

Ram engine mounted lift pumps and VP injection pumps.
Ram4 speed auto behind a diesel even in 2007!
Schitty Ram hydro boost pumps. Circa 03-07
Dmf clutch

Ford and GM poor CP4 design. Maybe Ram now, will see.
Duramax fuel bleeder screw
Allison NSBU switch
Instrument clusters, all trucks for a few years.
Early Bosch common rail injectors.
6.5 diesel

It's fun to poke fun, but look in the mirror once in a while kids!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

They haven't made the 2017 models for 7 years. The problem appears to be the added third line with the tiny connection that you don't have.

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve done 4 filter changes to date on mine and there’s not really anything to it. Unless you destroy everything you touch it’s a pretty easy design to swap out. Not sure what you all are complaining about.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ShinerBock wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Oops... Wrong brand!

After getting this oil filter cap-off tool, changing my oil every 15k is a lot cleaner. I am 6'1" with big hands and can easily fit them through there when changing the oil so it really isn't as bad as you are insinuating. Even without the tool it would take less than 30 minutes to change the oil although it was a lot messier.

From the top is MUCH better as you can give the Turbo a spin and also look over the hoses and check clamp tightness. Found this when going from the top. YUP replaced under warranty.

BTW I don't spill a drop and DON'T need any special tools. Takes a couple minutes while my oil is draining.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Having said that with a 172k miles and 7 years of ownership of my Super Duty it takes me ~15 minutes to change the fuel filters and I haven't broke a connector to date."

Guess you better stick with ol trusty.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
deltabravo wrote:

To change the engine mounted fuel filter it requires removing the three fuel lines from the filter.

And you said changing my oil filter wan an issue. :B