cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel HD

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
With Ford expected to add a diesel and ten-speed to their aluminum-bodied F-150s for 2017, Ram engineers are working hard — likely focusing on many different bottlenecks, rather than a single technology.

When 2018 comes, there will also be a “commercial” version of the Ram 1500, with enhancements for heavy duty work cases. The chart below suggests that a Ram Commercial version of the 1500 will appear earlier, but that would likely show up separately if it were true. (The years appear to be calendar years, not model years.)

There are also hints of the diesel gaining in towing capacity, possibly through gearing, calibration, and possibly upgraded internal parts upgrades could push it beyond 10,000 pounds (it’s currently rated at 9,200).

It is unlikely that the eight speed will jump to ten any time soon. ZF’s chief executive already dismissed that, saying the rewards were lower than the costs — and this is coming from a company that supplies Rolls-Royce.

Link

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.
60 REPLIES 60

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm... I'll likely be getting a new Ram sometime this year, as I'm almost done with borrowing my current one from Fiat.

I'd like to see them push the payload rather than the towing cap. My Outdoorsman has the 10000 lbs rating with its Hemi and 3.92 rear end, but the payload is so tiny, I couldn't come close to that weight unless it was just towing steel i-beams or something on a low profile trailer?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed