cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel HD

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
With Ford expected to add a diesel and ten-speed to their aluminum-bodied F-150s for 2017, Ram engineers are working hard — likely focusing on many different bottlenecks, rather than a single technology.

When 2018 comes, there will also be a “commercial” version of the Ram 1500, with enhancements for heavy duty work cases. The chart below suggests that a Ram Commercial version of the 1500 will appear earlier, but that would likely show up separately if it were true. (The years appear to be calendar years, not model years.)

There are also hints of the diesel gaining in towing capacity, possibly through gearing, calibration, and possibly upgraded internal parts upgrades could push it beyond 10,000 pounds (it’s currently rated at 9,200).

It is unlikely that the eight speed will jump to ten any time soon. ZF’s chief executive already dismissed that, saying the rewards were lower than the costs — and this is coming from a company that supplies Rolls-Royce.

Link

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.
60 REPLIES 60

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Well you are being deliberately misleading. Comparing the 2 Z71 trucks, gas vs diesel, the gasser was 7.4 and the diesel was corolla slow at 9.5 seconds to 60.
Yes there is a lighter faster diesel model, but comparing apples to apples its a 2 second difference! If you chose a lighter gasser, it would keep bout the same difference. Quarter mile 15.7, to 16.9.
Happy passing and merging lol. 181 horsepower to 305........

TFL towing up the Ike gauntlet took 8m55s vs 7m30s (iirc) for the V6. And that is with altitude putting the V^ at a huge disadvantage.

So no, they are not similar in performance or price. If choosing a lighter smaller stripped down model is what's necessary to get it into the 8's zero to sixty, well that's just kookie talk. In this case, the diesel is pay more get less. Now toss in the Fiat Ecodiesel in this thing, and that would be pretty cool, decent acceleration, good mileage. Still be overpriced and the Fiat diesel sucks in our climate, (ton's of issues locally). But I could at least wrap my head around that, and in a midsize truck, I think that Ecodiesel would rock.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Hybridhunter wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:

.... Take a look at the baby Duramax, it out tows its gas counterparts and is comparable in unloaded performance. Same goes with 2500/3500 diesels where they easily out tow their gas counterparts and have similar unloaded performance. ....

Not even close actually..... The baby Duramax is way slower in every measurable way, loaded or unloaded, and it's not even close. Sure the diesel beats it in mileage, but not enough to even pay for itself over 2 lifetimes.
It doesn't matter which side of the debate you are on, you can't make up your own facts!

Motor Trend has the 2.8L Duramax faster than its gasoline I-4 2.5L in the quarter mile by .6 seconds and slower than the V6 3.6L by .8 seconds. Those are facts, and not made up. I would say that is comparable in unloaded performance to its two gasoline counterparts versus the Ecodiesel that is slower than both the 5.7L and the 3.6L.

The 2.8L diesel also has a higher tow rating than both the 2.5L and 3.6L in a crew cab 2wd short bed to where the Ecodiesel has a higher tow rating only to the 3.6L by 1,400 lbs in a crew cab 2wd which is mainly due to the 3.92 rear end available with the Ecodiesel and only a 3.55 rear ratio available in the 3.6L. If both the Ecodiesel and 3.6L had 3.55 in a crew cab 2wd, then the Ecodiesel would only tow more by 400 lb. The same crew cab 2wd with a 5.7L is rated to tow 1,490 lbs more than the Ecodiesel.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:

.... Take a look at the baby Duramax, it out tows its gas counterparts and is comparable in unloaded performance. Same goes with 2500/3500 diesels where they easily out tow their gas counterparts and have similar unloaded performance. ....

Not even close actually..... The baby Duramax is way slower in every measurable way, loaded or unloaded, and it's not even close. Sure the diesel beats it in mileage, but not enough to even pay for itself over 2 lifetimes.
It doesn't matter which side of the debate you are on, you can't make up your own facts!

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
Wards 10 best

That is an exclusive club. 😉

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Greentreena wrote:
The stow and go idea in a truck is interesting too. We have it in our van.

Will be interesting to see how they work out the packaging. That is why the S&G vans are front wheel drive because there is no room for a tunnel. The second row can be a pia because I always forget I need to move the front seat out of the way. And the electronic seats can be slow for this impatient person to drop them down or pull them out.

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Wards 10 best

Greentreena
Explorer
Explorer
The stow and go idea in a truck is interesting too. We have it in our van.
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 Mega Cab 4x4 SRW Laramie - Big & Black
Full delete, Torque Technolgies programmer, Sinister EGR delete
Hijacker Auto Slide/ P3
2006 Triple E Topaz 310RBXL
Wife, 2 kids (Murphy the dog - RIP friend)

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
BillyW wrote:
Geeze wrote:
Has the issue with the cam gears slipping on the camshaft in the VM diesel been fixed? I've seen several You Tube videos reporting the problem. Apparently the gear is just a slip fit on the cam and a bolt in the end of the shaft keeps it in place. If the gear rotates the valves hit the top of the pistons. The last thing I want to do it buy a new truck and then pay someone else to "bulletproof" it.
It looks to me like this issue is a one-off. All the different hits I found lead back to the same guy.

Yep, and that guy beat the socks off his ED... Long idle hours.. 700 miles per day... custom tuning.. and many many "improvements" which may or may not have contributed.

He verbally gives several disclaimers about the stuff he does.

Not surprised at all that he ghosted a part in the motor. I mean the man bought a spare EcoDiesel drivetrain and sat it in his garage "just in case"

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Geeze wrote:
Has the issue with the cam gears slipping on the camshaft in the VM diesel been fixed? I've seen several You Tube videos reporting the problem. Apparently the gear is just a slip fit on the cam and a bolt in the end of the shaft keeps it in place. If the gear rotates the valves hit the top of the pistons. The last thing I want to do it buy a new truck and then pay someone else to "bulletproof" it.
It looks to me like this issue is a one-off. All the different hits I found lead back to the same guy.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
My 3d exceeded expectations in our recent national tour with 4500 lb coach in tow. It excels in towing and the 8 speed alongside the air suspension is incredible. I hope they don't mess with it too much.

Geeze
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
spud1957 wrote:
And since there is no vacuum when the engine is off, the ventilation flips to defrost at every stop light. Maybe it's just me but I found it irritating.

The JGC Like ALL current FCA NAFTA vehicles is an all electric HVAC control system. In a stop event what you're hearing is the recirculation door moving to 50% in order to prolong cabin thermal comfort in the vehicle during the stop.

And I should know, I'm the Engineer. Yes we OEM engineers do watch these forums!

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer

Shiner you may want to look up your information on the baby Dmax! It's a 2.8L not a 4.0! That would be why it won't be in their 1500 trucks. They are getting a 4.5 diesel in the 1500 2017 or 2018.

I never said the baby Duramax was a 4.0L. I said that a full size 1500 deserves a 4.0L+ with around 290hp and 480 lb-ft, and that the little diesels should be left for the midsizers like the baby Duramax is in GMs midsize twins since a midsize will get better fuel efficiency than a full size any day.

These little diesels with less than 280hp in full size trucks just don't have the towing performance the other towing 1500 engines do which is why it is not rated the high towing numbers of those engines. Take a look at the baby Duramax, it out tows its gas counterparts and is comparable in unloaded performance. Same goes with 2500/3500 diesels where they easily out tow their gas counterparts and have similar unloaded performance. With the Ecodiesel, it does not tow more than its gasoline counterpart nor is its unloaded performance anywhere near them. Yeah, it will pull 6k lb trailers(which most base model V6s do these days and even midsizers), but it does not command the weight like the other 1500 tow engines. I think it is because it is too small and does not have enough power for a full size 1500. Like I said before, a 4.0L with at least 290 hp and 480 lb-ft would be a better fit for a 1500 while these baby diesels with less than 250 hp that are probably better suited to go in the midsize trucks.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Yep 6300# +/- 200# for fuel and four adults and that little 3.0 diesel will still run down the highway at 70 in OD. The only time I use the TOW/HAUL mode is in the city.

Shiner you may want to look up your information on the baby Dmax! It's a 2.8L not a 4.0! That would be why it won't be in their 1500 trucks. They are getting a 4.5 diesel in the 1500 2017 or 2018.

GM’s Steve Kiefer, vice president of global powertrain, recently told Automotive News they are looking at bringing a diesel to the market. With their stable of diesel engines and a 4.5L V8 diesel already designed, GM could answer the growing MPG race quickly in their light-duty Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra 1500 pickups.
“We are looking closely at diesel entrees in that segment,” Kiefer said. “In fact, I heard the term ‘dust off’ that 4 1/2-liter at one point. That is certainly one of the options. Clearly, we have a portfolio of diesel engines.”
A 4.5L Duramax V8 diesel was developed before the company went into bankruptcy in 2009 and was subsequently shelved. Dusting it off and adding some modern improvements like reducing displacement and adopting new friction-reduction technologies. But it’s been so long, we wonder if perhaps the upcoming 2.8L Duramax could serve as a possible replacement.

Read more:LINK

I bet they wait until they (Ford/GM) work the bugs out of their ten speed and it drops to a 4.0l not a 4.5L. The only reason to go diesel in a 1500 is for the upcoming EPA mandated truck fuel mileage increase. I look for ram to up the 3.0L to a 3.5L to remain competitive. But with larger displacement means less fuel mileage so it's a dual edge sword.

Don

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
blofgren wrote:

x2. For the price of the Nissan you may as well buy a Ram 2500/3500 with a Cummins 6.7L I-6 and have a real truck. And a good reliable high pressure fuel pump too! :B

The Ecodiesel is really in a field of it's own. It is a great little 1/2 ton with a nice little economical diesel. I think if they can get the payload up on a lot of these models they will have a true winner, because that has been the biggest issue with them IMHO.

If I am not mistaken, the Ram Ecodiesel uses the very same CP4 pump that you are saying isn't reliable in the 5.0L Cummins.

I personally am not fond of little bitty less than 3.5L diesel engines in full size trucks and think they should stay in midsize trucks since those are mainly bought for economical reasons. A full size half ton truck deserves at least a 4.0L diesel with around 290 hp and 480 lb-ft. At least GM got it right and put their baby diesel in their midsizer.

Yep, the Ecodiesel does indeed use the CP4 pump just like the 5.0 Cummins. That is definitely one weak point of it.

The difference between the Titan/Cummins and Ram/Ecodiesel in price is huge. And the point I was trying to make is that if someone is going to spend the amount of money to buy the Titan/Cummins they would be better off spending the same amount on a Ram 2500/3500 and get the Cummins 6.7L which is a much more capable truck.

In regards to the small diesels in full size trucks I would tend to agree with you, however I see WAY more Ram Ecodiesels than the little GM's in my area. The Ecodiesels are actually a big seller here.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
blofgren wrote:
That's the part people on here don't get. I have been saying for years that Ram does not play the in-between game that Ford and GM play. Unfortunately for Ram there are people that don't understand that they are buying a half ton on steroids but paying for a 250/2500 weakling.

If you have to add HD payload and HD tow packages to get you wannabe 250/2500 then buy the correct tool for the job. You will be a lot happier in the long run trust me.

Don

x2. For the price of the Nissan you may as well buy a Ram 2500/3500 with a Cummins 6.7L I-6 and have a real truck. And a good reliable high pressure fuel pump too! :B

The Ecodiesel is really in a field of it's own. It is a great little 1/2 ton with a nice little economical diesel. I think if they can get the payload up on a lot of these models they will have a true winner, because that has been the biggest issue with them IMHO.

We'd love to give you a ride home Jimmy but we just don't have the payload. But we can drop your ball off for you. :B

LOL, that's a good one. Thanks for the laugh!:B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes