cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2018 Arctic Fox 865LB or Northern Lite 9-6QSE

motodog
Explorer
Explorer
First post, and I hate to rehash old debates but, I can't find much info on the newer campers (2016-2018). I'm going to buy this spring and have narrowed it down to these two. Ive read lots of old posts about leaks and or structural problems with older campers, but can't find info on the new ones. I would hope that a lot of these problems have been addressed. The camper will go on a 2018 F350 SRW diesel 4x4 LB. Plan on lots of gravel/dirt roads, but no '4 wheeling'. Thanks for any input, opinions, and ideas.
14 REPLIES 14

motodog
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys, really appreciate the informative post!

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
I really like the fiberglass clamshell construction of my Bigfoot and Northern Lite. I don't want a slide. I definitely don't want a rubber roof.
Between your 2 choices, most definitely NL.
Do the math on weights.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned both a bigfoot which appears at a distance to be the same clamshells that NL uses. I really liked the bigfoot camper quality. I have heard many good things about NL here and elsewhere.It was just too small for our taste with 2 dogs.

Later we purchased an Arctic Fox TC and was pleased with it at first. The owner of the company Ron Nash went out of his way to take care of some early issues we had in particular with the slide. Ron is no longer at the helm and our most recent dealings with AF (still with the slide) led me to sell it and replace it with a different brand that seems more customer service oriented.

Personally, I will not be revisiting any Northwoods products down the road.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Crazy_Creek
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 AF 865. Other than a few minor things it has been a good unit.

We love the layout...I have no use for a slide.

The biggest problem (we solved it) is that the fresh water pick up is at the front of a long tank. If you are parked on the slightest hill you run out of "available" water quickly.

Oh...and this is a big deal....the roof material is ****. If you back under a tree it doesn't take much for a low hanging (small) branch to poke holes in the roof material.

Mike

Rustofer
Explorer
Explorer
In that case, we can heartily recommend NL. We've had it only 11 months, but had it on and off the truck about a dozen times, without any hint of a structural or water-leak issue. Having said that, I'd be surprised to hear of issues in any new-ish camper. Best of luck with your quest!

motodog
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I was inquiring more about the integrity of the two newer model campers regarding leaks, structural problems, etc. heard a lot about older models but nothing about the newer ones (post 2016).

Rustofer
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know how fussy you are about staying within the GVW rating of your truck, but the AF865 could take you over by 500 - 1000 lbs, maybe more. We have a 2017 F350 6.2 (gas), which is likely 500 - 700 pounds lighter than your diesel, and we carry a 2017 NL 9.6 Sportsman. We are often right up against our 11,500 GVW. With two of us in the truck, no camper, it weighs approx. 8100 pounds. That includes a sheet of plywood, bed mat, tie-downs, full tank of gas. It's astonishing how quickly the weights add up.

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would go with the Northern lite,a lot less maintenance.

thedavidzoo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please ignore if you have made up your mind... but have you considered the Northstar brand at all?
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

Bedlam
The AF865 is their only non-slide model unless you go to the Northwood Wolf Creek line.

http://northwoodmfg.com/af-camper-865/

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Given those choices, I'd go with a Northern Lite. I'm not a fan of the height of the Arctic Fox slides above the floor or their interior color choices.

I'd also look at this floorplan in the Northern Lite. https://www.northern-lite.com/truck_camper_lite_96.php This model is no longer made, but I much prefer it to the normal dinette. I suppose it depends on how many people will be using it.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Bedlam
I was happy with my Arctic Fox and only went to another brand because Arctic Fox did not make a multi slide side door model I wanted. I have always liked Northern Lite campers but wanted more room with slides, so I eliminated them from my choices early. I feel the NL has a better fit and finish than the AF, but the capacities are smaller if you like to boondock. What sold us on the AF was the amounts the camper could hold and the overall build quality over other brands.

Although not as popular out west, I suggest you take a look at the Northstar campers since you are looking at models without slides. They get good reviews from their owners. If you are under 6' tall, also check out the Bigfoot campers - There is recent thread about them in this section.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

motodog
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the thoughts old guy, but that exactly the point. i don't have experience in truck campers like yourself, and I don't want my new camper to 'reach out and grab my money, and time' if I can avoid any issues one might have more than the other. Thanks any ways.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
when I worked in sales I would have many people like you wanting us to make their decision on what to buy. I refused to do that. I always figured if that rv didn't reach out and grab you then it's the wrong one for you. you have to be the one that is happy with the unit, not me. so you decide on which one you want to put your hard earned money into. it's your bed, not mine