2018 Titan vs Ford F150 XD

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoy and box it out all you Nissan and Ford fans
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln
47 REPLIES 47

demiles
Explorer
Explorer
Considering that they used a scale to load and distribute the weight correctly, I wouldโ€™ve thought the outcome should have been better. Just remember Ford is seated deeply in the SAE organization and the testing is performed by the manufacturer and then the data submitted to the SAE for compliance approval. If you think about it much of the tests is simulated and calculated, how many days are going to be exact conditions the test requires on the Davis dam route.
2008 Jayco G2 28RBS
2016 Nissan XD 5.0L Cummins

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
They should have tested the F150 HD versus the Titan XD.

No, the specs said that version of the F150 could do it. It was certainly fast up the climb

However there's an option for more payload available, and would have matched or bettered the payload of the Nissan XD. Keep in mind the XD is Nissan's high payload option. You don't think comparing similar payloads is a better comparison?

Maybe. Ford says the Pickup passes the J2807 standard for towing that weight,Going By the results either the standard is not representative or Ford is making a bad call on it's compliance.
Having to brake 9 times compared to twice on the Titan XD on a fairly moderate gradient and feeling you had little control, suggests something is pretty wrong.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:

No, the specs said that version of the F150 could do it. It was certainly fast up the climb

However there's an option for more payload available, and would have matched or bettered the payload of the Nissan XD. Keep in mind the XD is Nissan's high payload option. You don't think comparing similar payloads is a better comparison?
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
demiles wrote:
rjstractor wrote:
I think that many of you guys viewed this test as some sort of competition, and TFL portrays it as such. I looked at it differently, and I think it underscores the fact that there is more to towing comfortably than what is under the hood and the factory tow ratings. It's the reason that most guys would choose a 250/2500 series truck to tow a trailer approaching 12,000 lbs., and it's the reason the Titan handled that trailer better with the exception of uphill speed. For that trailer I would certainly pick an F250 or 350 with the 6.2 even though the F150 with the Ecoboost will get up the hill faster. And I doubt the selection of the HD version of the F150 would have made much difference, the XD is still much heavier both loaded and unloaded.

Well said!

X2

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
danrclem wrote:
It is apples and oranges. If I were going to tow that much weight very often I wouldn't want either one of them.

Very true.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
It is apples and oranges. If I were going to tow that much weight very often I wouldn't want either one of them.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
I think the biggest thing to draw from this comparison is how poorly the F150 towed the same weight as the heavier Nissan did. Just proves that you can't have too much truck. So many of the Ford 3.5 owners get all giddy when they hit the gas pedal going up a hill and I'm sure there's reason for the excitement. JMO but I'd rather show up at the same destination relaxed and ready for another 100 miles a few minutes late than early and tired. In the real world when you have to follow speed limits my guess is both truck will arrive at the same time.

I would tend to agree. Even though the towing and axle ratings are ho-hum on the XD, it's pretty clearly a half step up in the real world over the standard half ton crowd just by virtue of the extra mass and somewhat up-sized running gear. I still struggle with the advantages it would have over a regular heavy duty truck, though. I guess it might ride a little bit softer...but so what? That's a pretty meaningless advantage, imo.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
demiles wrote:
spud1957 wrote:
Ford over rates the TWR for the F150 to sell trucks to uneducated consumers and obviously thereโ€™s lot of them out there. Nissan on the other hand gives realistic TWRs for its vehicles.

BS. Tow ratings by Ford and Nissan use SAEJ2807. Same methods and standards by both.

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/towing-standards-adopted-gm-ford-ram-nissan/

Yes they do. Just goes to show the standard has its flaws.

I don't think the standard tests for towing stability. It also doesn't test for a long down hill grade where brakes are constantly needed and rather just tests for an emergency stop situation.

Although, as I said earlier, the F150 HD would be a better comparison to the Titan XD than the truck they used. The only real competitor to the Titan XD gas is the Ram 2500 with the 5.7L. It's ratings are lower than the 6.4L and CTD, and are very similar to the gas engine Titan XD. The Ram 2500 5.7L has a GVWR of 9,000 and a tow rating of around 13,000 and the Titan XD 5.7L has a GVWR of 8,990 and a tow rating of about 12,000.

While I have no doubt that the F150 Ecoboost can easily tow 12k and would be fine for those that don't do it very often with at short distances. The lower weight of the new body styles probably won't make that much weight very fun to tow on long trips. Stepping up to something a little heavier and more stable would probably best for those who plan on towing that much eight more often.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

demiles
Explorer
Explorer
spud1957 wrote:
Ford over rates the TWR for the F150 to sell trucks to uneducated consumers and obviously thereโ€™s lot of them out there. Nissan on the other hand gives realistic TWRs for its vehicles.

BS. Tow ratings by Ford and Nissan use SAEJ2807. Same methods and standards by both.

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/towing-standards-adopted-gm-ford-ram-nissan/

Yes they do. Just goes to show the standard has its flaws.
2008 Jayco G2 28RBS

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I think the biggest thing to draw from this comparison is how poorly the F150 towed the same weight as the heavier Nissan did. Just proves that you can't have too much truck. So many of the Ford 3.5 owners get all giddy when they hit the gas pedal going up a hill and I'm sure there's reason for the excitement. JMO but I'd rather show up at the same destination relaxed and ready for another 100 miles a few minutes late than early and tired. In the real world when you have to follow speed limits my guess is both truck will arrive at the same time.

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer

2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

demiles
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
I think that many of you guys viewed this test as some sort of competition, and TFL portrays it as such. I looked at it differently, and I think it underscores the fact that there is more to towing comfortably than what is under the hood and the factory tow ratings. It's the reason that most guys would choose a 250/2500 series truck to tow a trailer approaching 12,000 lbs., and it's the reason the Titan handled that trailer better with the exception of uphill speed. For that trailer I would certainly pick an F250 or 350 with the 6.2 even though the F150 with the Ecoboost will get up the hill faster. And I doubt the selection of the HD version of the F150 would have made much difference, the XD is still much heavier both loaded and unloaded.

Well said!
2008 Jayco G2 28RBS

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:

x2

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3