cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2019 Ford F450 options for camper use

Snowcamp
Explorer
Explorer
I'm preparing to order a 19 F450 Lariat Diesel with pick-up bed to replace my 07 F350 for hauling 1160 Eagle Cap. I'm trying to confirm which option packages to add to the F450 that will work with my camper. We keep camper on truck 90% of the time and tow an enclosed snowmobile trailer. Hoping someone has experience with new Ford options and how they interact with camper and can give me opinion on which options to include in new truck order.

I'm a bit concerned about new overall height as my current set up only has about 1.5" of clearance to get through garage door. From measuring trucks on the lot compared to my 07, it appears actual truck bed floor height is the same in current 07 F350 (17" tires) and new F450 (19.5" tires). Per Eagle Cap new 19 F450 will carry 1160 with no modifications but they do recommend 3/4" bed mat.

The Ford descriptions and sales staff I have access to have given vague answers.

The one option I have decided against is the Ford sun/moon roof, as I have had the camper strike the top of my F350 clearance lights a couple times and do not want glass above my head.

The options I'm looking for advice on are:
1. "Camper prep" package ($180) from the description it sounds like all I will get on a F450 with this package is a sticker in glove box that says camper capable.
2. "5th Wheel Hitch Prep Package" ($500). Appears to be only way to get an in the bed 12V plug to plug in camper. On some internet searches I have found some claims that this plug can not actually be used for slide in camper as it will cause the trailer tire monitoring system to not work properly, may not charge camper battery and may cause trailer brake system to not work properly. I would like this option for re-sale but want to be able to use in bed 12V plug for camper.
3. "BLIS" Blind Spot Monitoring for truck and trailer ($540). Appears while carrying camper I may be able to use BLIS for trailer and side of truck warnings.
4. "Tow Technology Bundle" ($1970). Looks like this will give 360 camera system that may have some use while hauling and loading camper and will give trailer tire pressure monitoring after purchasing extra TIPMS valve stems for trailer.

In addition to the Ford options I plan to add Firestone rear air bags, Stable Loads bump stops (top leafs only) and Torklift tiedowns with Superhitch. I use this on current F350.

If you have experience with the new Fords and what is worth adding to 19 F450 truck order let me know.
Thanks
Scott
44 REPLIES 44

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
HERE I made pictorial how I moved tailgate camera to back of the camper and cable part number is in it.
Ford also sells trailer cameras with optional trailer TPMS.
Since you plan to use trailer - you might want to consider spending extra $$$.
For me trailer use is very rare and I like that moving camera from tailgate gives me 360 view, even the proportions are disturbed.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
broark01 wrote:
If height is an issue avoid the FX4 option regardless of F350 or F450. The F450 is considered a class 4 medium duty truck (14001 lbs to 16000 lbs) which will equate in higher yearly registration cost compared to the F350. Beyond that there is the higher initial cost for the same options and the F350 with 14000 lbs GVWR will handle many TC options.

Why avoid the FX4 package?

Newer F450 in pickup form are 14K GVWR not 14,500 like mine. In any case, not necessarily true that you will pay higher registration. Sometimes it is offset by not having to pay transit authority tax. Some areas don't care. Check in your location to know for sure.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can't easily move the camera from the tailgate and back. Maybe you like Kayteg1's solution to permanently remove it from tailgate.

Or, you could buy a camera from https://camera-source.com/automotive-cams.html?make=Ford&v_model=Super%20Duty&year=2018 that plugs in to the factory harness and keep functionality when your tailgate is on.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

broark01
Explorer
Explorer
If height is an issue avoid the FX4 option regardless of F350 or F450. The F450 is considered a class 4 medium duty truck (14001 lbs to 16000 lbs) which will equate in higher yearly registration cost compared to the F350. Beyond that there is the higher initial cost for the same options and the F350 with 14000 lbs GVWR will handle many TC options.

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
Off I had a choice between white and silver it would be silver for me hands down. Just something about a super duty in Fords silver that I have always loved. The EMT at work drives a new F350 DRW in silver and the square boxy dually fenders are awesome in silver.

Not 100% sure but I think it is possible to buy an adaptor from ford to plug an aftermarket camera into, and then mount one on the camper. It would plug into the tailgate plug when you remove the tailgate and load the camper. I also think that with the ultimate camera package you can buy a wireless camera right fro:ford to mount on your trailer or up on the camper.

Snowcamp
Explorer
Explorer
Wow - Thank you for all of the responses. Wife and I are on our way to dealership to try and pick color between white and silver so we are ready to shop for best deal and hopefully order within 1 to 2 weeks.

5th wheel prep- For the 5th wheel prep package, yes you do get more than just 7 pin plug in bed. You also get 5 bed attachment points and 1 frame under bed crossmember. I’m leaning towards going ahead and getting this option for future reseale value, the possibility that I can use plug with camper and with the thought that the extra cross member will strengthen aluminum bed to help haul my heavy camper better. My concern with this 5th wheel package is; if I use the 7 pin 5th wheel package plug for camper does that cause problems for trailer TPMS. My trailer will need to access truck brake controller system.

Camera package - I did not know I could remove the camera molded into the tailgate and move it to rear of camper, great feedback. When you did this what additional parts need to be purchased from Ford and when I do need to use tailgate can I add camera back into tailgate easily? If you have any Ford part numbers for the parts you had to purchase that would be appreciated.

BLIS - Good comments on the BLIS Blind Spot Monitoring I did not know that camper “side wings” could affect this.

Camper Prep package - Per Ford website and a couple sales staff, if I buy this I MAY get “1 up” heavier duty front springs but only if it does not already come stock with heaviest springs. So far no one can tell me, yes you will get heavier front springs and I will get “Camper Certification” sticker. A rear sway bar is added to SRW trucks only not Dually. There still may be value in having the Camper Certifcation in case of insurance claim with camper on truck. I do also carry a hitch cargo hauler on front of truck with generator or motorcycle so I may go ahead and either get this option or pay a little more and get Camper/Snow plow prep package.

Air bags - I’ve had them on my 99 and 07 F350’s and would not haul camper w/o them. I have not yet had an F450 but plan to put them on the F450 along with the Stable Loads.

Fit - For the comment about the bed rails to bottom of camper, my current set up (07 F350) has about 4” from top of bed rail to bottom of EC 1160 camper. I just plug into bed before fully dropping camper into bed of truck. My camper cord is above the rear of truck bed area. If my measurements are correct I will have this same amount of bed rail space on the new F450. My space or height concern is for the overall height and getting the new set up into my RV garage. I already do not have roof AC as it would not fit into garage with AC unit. It would be great to actually get my hands on a new F450 load my camper on it and test back into garage, unfortunately I do not have the ability to do this test. I hope my visits to dealerships measuring on the lot F450’s against my 07 F350 were done correctly....

F350 - For the respondents that are currently using new F350’s, do you have the “Adaptive Seering” option and is this an option worth getting?
For the F350 folks, I’m wondering if you are hauling large campers like my double slide EC 1160 and why you chose to get the F350 instead of F450. How is the 2017-19 F350 working for you and do you have any regret for not getting the F450?

After 1 Chevy 3500 and 2 F350 trucks (99 &07) and 4 large campers I‘m hoping going to a F450 will give me a little more peace of mind when hauling the big camper along with new the new motor, bigger brakes and tires.

If anyone else is on the same quest I am you can go to Ford website at Shop.Ford.Com, select “Build Your Own” link and build one.

Thanks for the input.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Americamper wrote:
I can't imagine having to add bags to a F450. I guess my camper is just to light.

I didn’t have to, but air bags are good to make it level and I find it makes the ride better loaded. I don’t run very much air.

Manwithoutoptio
Explorer
Explorer
2019 F350 here. agree with most other user's opinion

BLIPS is junk. tow mirrow is more than enough
Tow camera is nice but you need to extract rear camera out and reattach it.
I didt get the 5th whe prep package and my 12v and tire pressure moniotor is working properly

Americamper
Explorer
Explorer
I can't imagine having to add bags to a F450. I guess my camper is just to light.
2000 F250 Superduty 7.3 SB SRW, E rated Michelins, Torklifts, fastguns,2004 Northstar Laredo, , Ducati Hypermotard 1100, KTM 250XC

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have 2017 F350 and love the cameras. For the rear - since my pickup is used mostly for camper - I removed the camera from tailgate, bought extension cable from Ford and am attaching it to the rear of the camper.
The blind spot monitoring is getting fooled by camper wings, so not really useful. It is just yellow spot on side mirror anyway, so not really good warning.
I was checking the in-bed power power outlet, but Ford offered it on the rear corner, so not really useful. I used camper with small no-brakes trailer, so just used double power outlet in the bumper.
Not sure how bulb monitoring works with this setup, but that is not my big concern.
Camper prep package for my MY offered stiffed front bar. Since my camper takes weight off front axle (and trailer will take off even more) - I declined the package.
The height is concern. I have 2 campers and even basement model needs 3/4" shimming on top of factory mat, when no-basement Lance took 3" shim to clear the rails.
Since you don't have much gap between the camper and the rails- using in bed plug will be questionable.
Have fun with new drive.
Take the lowest differential ratio you can.
I have 3.55 on my F350 and the monster engine pulls 8000 lb of cargo on overdrive on all freeway grades.
I need downshifting only for passing.

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure about the F450, but the camper prep option in single rear wheel F350 got you a rear sway bar and on a F250 it got you stiffer springs on the front axle, to match the ones of the F350 and the rear sway bar. In my area every superduty that dealers stock comes with the camper prep.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not a new truck expert, but from guessing as well as googling, it seems the “5th Wheel Hitch Prep Package” is more than a plug. It also includes the rails underneath the bed and cut out for a fifth wheel hitch with holes and plugs for the fifth wheel hitches on the market for newer Fords.

That being said, if you have no plans to add a fifth wheel, I don’t think you need it.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't pay $500 just for a 7 pin in the bed if that's all you need. You can either install that yourself or have a shop do it for a lot less money. I don't know what Ford uses for wiring for the charge line but I bet you could have it upsized to get more amps into your batteries.

3TV
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 2019 F-350 a few days ago, and it has the tow technology bundle on it. I don't think that package is going to be too helpful for a pickup truck camper. It looks to me like there are cameras on the front grill, the back of the cab roof, and two cameras on the tailgate. Three of the four cameras are going to either be removed or will be blocked by the camper. I don't know yet if the on screen display just shows a black screen when the tailgate cameras are removed with the tailgate, or if a warning light comes on.

Many truck campers these days do have a rear camera on them though, and it may be possible to get this to interface with the on screen display of the tow technology bundle via telemetry. Hopefully someone else knows more about doing that.
2019 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie SWB 4x4
2020 Lance 825
2021 Grand Design Momentum 350G

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
Why not have the shop that is doing the bags and tie downs, do the bed 12V plug to plug in camper.
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.