cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2019 GMC 3500HD Options

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
....What options are suggested for this truck with an AF865? Is the Snow Plow option a good idea & why? Please give me suggestions & why... Thanks!
30 REPLIES 30

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
Also, the cab and chassis has the rear sway bar installed, not so with conventionally installed bed trucks.

I've compared rear spring packs, mine has the snow plow prep and between it and the dually the packs appear same, mine might have an extra overload. The cab and chassis springs look to be thicker.

Upfitter switches would be nice, each 30 amp. You could light the place up like a christmas tree.

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
I've got about 5k miles on my 2017 reg cab 4x4 6.0. Very sweet ride. Just put 295/70-18 michelin on to replace the goodyears for more capacity and it rides better, aired down to 40-45 psi all around.

I've got about all the additions you can put on a WT, except the sliding rear window, it has the defroster. I'd rather have the slider. It's pretty aero on the cab so any windows cracked makes for a bit of noise down the highway.

The gooseneck prep package is nice, sprayed on bedliner is nice, snow plow prep gets you 220 amp alt--don't know if that helps the charging. Heavier front springs are probably not noticeable. Air your tires to whatever the weight is and the ride will be good.

Watch for the sales at the end of the month then hit them up, hard.

I've had fords and toyotas, really like this first GMC.

Bedlam
Heavier front springs will make for a worse ride when unloaded, but may help with fore and aft pitching when carrying the camper. I would choose that package just to get the upgraded the electrical and cooling. You can always hang a basket from a front receiver or go to a heavier bumper with winch if you find the front springs overly stiff for your use.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
.... Thanks Bubtoofat.... I'm thinkin' I'm gonna order the snow plow package as the heavier front springs and additional wiring might come in handy for someting.... Put a down payment on an AF 865 & gotta order the truck probably February.... Then I can get "stuff " for camper installed.... Gonna remove back seat & carry some of our household"stuff" back there...

Bubtoofat
Explorer
Explorer
#1Flyboy wrote:
... I think bubtoofat post applies to his 2005; gonna order a 2019 GMC 3500 Dually LB CC 4WD Duramax....

From the 2018 GM Fleet Order Guide:
RPO VYU

Snow Plow Prep Package, includes power feed for backup and roof emergency light, (KW5) 220-amp alternator with gas or diesel engine, forward lamp wiring harness, (TRW) provision for cab roof mounted lamp/beacon, (NZZ) underbody shields and Heavy-Duty front-springs
1 - Only available on 4WD models. Included with (ANQ) Alaskan Snow Plow Special Edition. Upgradeable to (KHB) dual, 150 amps and 220 amps each alternators with (L5P) Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V8 engine.
2 - Only available on 4WD models. Included with (ANQ) Alaskan Snow Plow Special Edition. Not available with (UG1) Universal Home Remote. Upgradeable to (KHB) dual, 150 amps and 220 amps each alternators with (L5P) Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V8 engine.
3 - Only available on 4WD models. Not available with (CF5) power sunroof. When (VYU) is ordered, (UG1) Universal Home Remote is deleted. Upgradeable to (KHB) dual, 150 amps and 220 amps each alternators with (L5P) Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V8 engine.

2019 models are probably identical.

Mike
2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"No matter where I am, I can't help feeling I'm just a day away from where I want to be."
Jackson Browne

Fishbreath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Flyboy

I can't answer your specific question, but I can tell you that you will love the new truck. I got mine last month (2019 3500 SRW 4x4 with 6.0 gas) and I love it. It is so quiet and rides much better than my 2013.
Good luck with your purchase.

Bill

bristles
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't the snow plow prep give you dual alternators? If that's the case, I vote yes.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
#1Flyboy wrote:
... I think bubtoofat post applies to his 2005; gonna order a 2019 GMC 3500 Dually LB CC 4WD Duramax....

For 2019, you get all that he mentioned but the alternator is 170 amps, instead of the 145.

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Bubtoofat wrote:
RPO Code VYU (found on the sticker in the glove compartment)

Snow Plow Prep Package, includes 10-amp power for backup and roof emergency light, (KG3) 145-amp alternator, high-flow front bumper, forward lamp wiring harness, 1.65" (42 mm) access hole with grommet in front of dash panel, roof beacon lamp provisions with switch on the instrument panel, instrument panel jumper wiring harness for electric trailer brake controller, (K47) high-capacity air cleaner and (NZZ) Skid Plate Package.

Mike

Thereโ€™s the correct answer, yes get snow plow prep.

PhilR
Explorer II
Explorer II
On the 2500 and 3500 single rear wheel, the snow plow package gets you a 6,000 lb front axle rating rather than the standard 5,200 Lb rating. GM allows camper packages and snow plow prep without restriction, although you can't have a roof window or sliding rear cab window with the sp prep.

3TV
Explorer
Explorer
Since your 3500 is a dually it will be rated to carry the weight of that camper with no problems. The snow plow prep package usually includes higher rate front springs, which may actually be helpful with the camper. I just bought a 2019 F350 and it came equipped with both the snow plow package and the camper package (and a fifth wheel hitch prep package, and a gooseneck hitch prep package, and pretty much every other prep package they could throw on it). So the snow plow package and camper package are not mutually exclusive, at least not with Ford. Finding a truck with both sure is hard to do though. I looked through hundreds of trucks in on-line inventory, and only found two or three trucks that had both packages.
2019 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie SWB 4x4
2020 Lance 825
2021 Grand Design Momentum 350G

Bubtoofat
Explorer
Explorer
RPO Code VYU (found on the sticker in the glove compartment)

Snow Plow Prep Package, includes 10-amp power for backup and roof emergency light, (KG3) 145-amp alternator, high-flow front bumper, forward lamp wiring harness, 1.65" (42 mm) access hole with grommet in front of dash panel, roof beacon lamp provisions with switch on the instrument panel, instrument panel jumper wiring harness for electric trailer brake controller, (K47) high-capacity air cleaner and (NZZ) Skid Plate Package.

Mike
2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"No matter where I am, I can't help feeling I'm just a day away from where I want to be."
Jackson Browne

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
not sure about GM but with ram if you have a truck with a snow plow prep option you get a sticker that states that the truck is not recommended for truck camper use, some body must have tried to plow snow with a camper loaded and had a warranty claim ? When we ordered our current truck for TC use we watched the weight closely so we would end up with the largest payload we could get but of course that means 2WD , Gas, even buckets seats gives you a few more pounds of payload on paper, but our crew cab DRW 6.4 with 4.10's has almost a 7K payload rating and 6k camper rating 14k GVWR, the gas motor handles the camper weight and we are not towing anything ,of course its not like our last diesel truck but works for us .
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
..... I should have said 2019 GMC 3500 Duramax Dually LB CC 4WD with an AF865... My apologies....