cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2020 Ford F350 - XLT or Lariat / options guidance?

LosAngeles
Explorer
Explorer
2020 Ford F350 - XLT or Lariat / options guidance?

Hi all

First time pickup buyer. We will custom order a 2020 Ford F350 - XLT or Lariat
A Hallmark pop up camper will be in it 99.999 % of the time. Currently learning about what options / packages we want.

A few questions to help guide meโ€ฆ

Do I care about Fog Lamps? (does anyone ever use them?)

Do we care about Pedals: ยญ Power Adjustableโ€ฆ?
My wife and I share driving when going camping.
Do the driver memories recall the Power Pedals?

Do we need to be Lariat to get power seats and power seat memories? I canโ€™t figure this out.

I didnโ€™t see heated and cooled seats listed anywhere on Lariat specsโ€ฆ. do we need to go higher to get heated and cooled seats? ๐Ÿ˜ž

Do we want to get the 4.3 Electronic Locking Axle?
I believe it is much better for climbing mountains with the 2,500+ truck camper on the back, plus cargoโ€ฆ?

If we move to the midwest (a possibility) โ€ฆ would we want the remote start option, so we can warm up the F350 before getting in it?

How hard is it to wire in external lights, light bars, etc to the Ford optional Outfitter Switches?

with the vehicle (below) configured as we like, Ford offers either LT275/70R x 18E BSW A/T 4X4 tires

or for an extra $290, I could get LT275/70R x 18E OWL A/T tires.
what tires should i get?
I would MUCH rather have the tires come from Ford, from the start, and not have to change them out, and sell the stock tires.

By the way - we always use our cell phones for Navigation (Waze or Google Nav) so we have no use for a built in NAV. Any way to somehow NOT get it, to save $?

On our 8 foot bed, with a 9.5 foot Hallmark - the Ford Reverse Sensing System - will it work with 18โ€ overhang of Hallmark, and also the optional Hallmark Storage bins & rear bumper?

* * * * * For what it is worth - this is the type of pickup + options we are looking at: * * *

F-350 - 2020. Custom ordered.
Crew Cab (4 real doors, most space)
6.2L gas
176โ€ Wheelbase (max)
8 foot bed.
4x4
Single Rear Wheel (SRW)

4.3 Electronic Locking Axle (I believe it is much better for climbing mountains with the 2,500+ truck camper on the back, plus cargo)

FX4 Off Road Package (comes with Skid Plates :ยญ Transfer Case and Fuel Tank)

Snow Plow / Camper Package.

11,400 GVWR package (or whatever is max GVWR)

Rear Window - privacy glass.

Medium Duty Battery (a second battery)

Alternator ยญ Extra Extra HeavyยญDuty?
LED Roof Marker/Clearance Lamps?
Front 40/20/40 Split Bench Seats (not front console) so driver can exit passenger side if need be. (this is important to us with our current narrow driveway)

Inflatable Rear Outboard Safety Belts (Crew Cabยฎ) - for our daughter.

Cruise Control?
Power Equipment ยญ Power Door Locks and Windows
Steering Wheel ยญ Audio Controls?Tilt/Telescoping Steering Wheel?
48 Gallon Fuel Tank โ€“ 176" Wheelbase?Integrated Trailer Brake Controller?Trailer Hitch Receiver โ€“ 2.5" Built Ford Toughยฎ Trailer Hitch Receiver (SRW)?
Hill descent would be very nice. A part of tow package I believe.

stuff John REALLY wants:

Adaptive Cruise Control (Lariat I think? Unsure)?
Platform Running Boards (best if Ford does them. Less hassle, and not โ€œmodifiedโ€ $445 2019.)?
SYNCยฎ 3 for Apple Car Play

have been advised to get:
Upfitter Switches $165 in 2019

Thanks!

John
57 REPLIES 57

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I had the switches on my previous truck and originally it was utility bed with crane and generator.
They used only 1 switch for cargo lights.
$150 is not much, I agree, but I also did not like the look of the switches who's only role in the past was dust catching.
So no switches on new truck.
IMHO spending the $150 on electric heater is much better choice, but then - we do different things with our trucks...
I hope truck comes with remote start?
Love the option who will start the engine from 1/4 mile, so by the time I walk via 130F parking lot, the cabin is chilled.

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
Surprised nobody mentioned, roof lights reflecting off TC (annoyed me on my last truck) and I love the keypad on drivers door, can't remember if it was std.,or came w/ pkg.

breeves2245
Explorer
Explorer
No idea what I may use them for. Having never had a truck camper and the option was $150, I figured it was not much of a gamble.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
breeves2245 wrote:

5) Upfitter switchers because everyone in the forum advised me to

Members do very different things with their setups and just becouse they need it....
what you are planning to use the switches for?

breeves2245
Explorer
Explorer
I just ordered an F-350 for my newly purchased Northstar 850SC popup that is in storage at the dealer awaiting the truck. My main focus was payload and keeping the cost down. I ordered the F-350 XL Trim, Super Cab, Long Bed, 6.2 Gasser, 4x4, SRW. Options included:

1) Camper Package
2) Electronic Locking Axle
3) Power Equip Package so I have electric windows
4) 18" wheels from the stock 17" for greater payload
5) Upfitter switchers because everyone in the forum advised me to
6) XL value package to get cruise control
7) Sync3 to upgrade from 4" to 8" screen.

This came to 43k. When the truck gets in it I will get whatever rebates/discount that apply if any.

I have a '02 Silverado with the extended cab and like it. I felt the Super Cab was better for me than the Crew Cab. Better payload and a bit shorter.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
emcvay wrote:
Sorry for the late reply!

We got the Lariat after owning an XL and an XLT and frankly, the lariat is the cats meow ๐Ÿ˜„ Love all the options and won't go back ๐Ÿ˜‰
4.10's are great
Love the heated and cooled seats, adjustable pedals (had those in an XLT too) etc etc etc

Itโ€™s ok OP started the thread 6 months ago and is still contemplating. Youโ€™re still early
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
LosAngeles wrote:
update - now i have to decide to get the tried and true 6.2 Gasser, or the new 7.2 Gasser (in our F350 2020 custom ordered)

any thoughts?

the 2500 lb Hallmark with always be in the back. always.

plus - there is no way anyone can convince me to spend $9,000 extra dollars to get the much heavier diesel. Not interested. So dont bother trying. ๐Ÿ˜‰

You should get a diesel.....lol!

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for the late reply!

We got the Lariat after owning an XL and an XLT and frankly, the lariat is the cats meow ๐Ÿ˜„ Love all the options and won't go back ๐Ÿ˜‰
4.10's are great
Love the heated and cooled seats, adjustable pedals (had those in an XLT too) etc etc etc
2019 F350 Lariat FX4 DRW PS6.7
2019 AF990

broark01
Explorer
Explorer
Just to get the wide track, heavy duty, tighter turning radius front axle (which you can't get on F350 anymore, I would go with F450 Lariat with BLIS, Adaptive Cruise and Tow Tech package with adaptive steering.

No to FX4 (good luck)- adds to loading/unloading pains and higher center of gravity - not good for truck campers.

LosAngeles
Explorer
Explorer
update - now i have to decide to get the tried and true 6.2 Gasser, or the new 7.2 Gasser (in our F350 2020 custom ordered)

any thoughts?

the 2500 lb Hallmark with always be in the back. always.

plus - there is no way anyone can convince me to spend $9,000 extra dollars to get the much heavier diesel. Not interested. So dont bother trying. ๐Ÿ˜‰

JaneSiver
Explorer
Explorer
Where is the headlight adjuster located on a 1996 Ford F350? I want to replace them for a new one. Possible to find out it? I get recently read this article - https://10carbest.com/led-headlights-bulbs

JRJR wrote:
I would stay away from cab marker lights and the moon roof. They often leak.

I have had a moonroof/sunroof/twin panel roof since perhaps 2001 in all of my vehicles, and almost all of my wife's vehicles, and kids vehicles..

never a leak...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JRJR wrote:

Sunroof, moonroof, cab lights, all "can" have their issues. "Often leak" is a pretty gross overstatement.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
LosAngeles wrote:

Any motor vehicle having a curb weight of eight thousand (8,000) pounds or greater. For the purposes of this Section, "curb weight" is defined as the weight of a motor vehicle with standard equipment, fuel, oil, and coolant;

thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚

It is pretty clear to me.
My dually weights 7800 lb with me and tools, so I am safe.
The 5500lb of camper is cargo and doesn't count.

JRJR
Explorer
Explorer