cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2020 Ford F350 - XLT or Lariat / options guidance?

LosAngeles
Explorer
Explorer
2020 Ford F350 - XLT or Lariat / options guidance?

Hi all

First time pickup buyer. We will custom order a 2020 Ford F350 - XLT or Lariat
A Hallmark pop up camper will be in it 99.999 % of the time. Currently learning about what options / packages we want.

A few questions to help guide meโ€ฆ

Do I care about Fog Lamps? (does anyone ever use them?)

Do we care about Pedals: ยญ Power Adjustableโ€ฆ?
My wife and I share driving when going camping.
Do the driver memories recall the Power Pedals?

Do we need to be Lariat to get power seats and power seat memories? I canโ€™t figure this out.

I didnโ€™t see heated and cooled seats listed anywhere on Lariat specsโ€ฆ. do we need to go higher to get heated and cooled seats? ๐Ÿ˜ž

Do we want to get the 4.3 Electronic Locking Axle?
I believe it is much better for climbing mountains with the 2,500+ truck camper on the back, plus cargoโ€ฆ?

If we move to the midwest (a possibility) โ€ฆ would we want the remote start option, so we can warm up the F350 before getting in it?

How hard is it to wire in external lights, light bars, etc to the Ford optional Outfitter Switches?

with the vehicle (below) configured as we like, Ford offers either LT275/70R x 18E BSW A/T 4X4 tires

or for an extra $290, I could get LT275/70R x 18E OWL A/T tires.
what tires should i get?
I would MUCH rather have the tires come from Ford, from the start, and not have to change them out, and sell the stock tires.

By the way - we always use our cell phones for Navigation (Waze or Google Nav) so we have no use for a built in NAV. Any way to somehow NOT get it, to save $?

On our 8 foot bed, with a 9.5 foot Hallmark - the Ford Reverse Sensing System - will it work with 18โ€ overhang of Hallmark, and also the optional Hallmark Storage bins & rear bumper?

* * * * * For what it is worth - this is the type of pickup + options we are looking at: * * *

F-350 - 2020. Custom ordered.
Crew Cab (4 real doors, most space)
6.2L gas
176โ€ Wheelbase (max)
8 foot bed.
4x4
Single Rear Wheel (SRW)

4.3 Electronic Locking Axle (I believe it is much better for climbing mountains with the 2,500+ truck camper on the back, plus cargo)

FX4 Off Road Package (comes with Skid Plates :ยญ Transfer Case and Fuel Tank)

Snow Plow / Camper Package.

11,400 GVWR package (or whatever is max GVWR)

Rear Window - privacy glass.

Medium Duty Battery (a second battery)

Alternator ยญ Extra Extra HeavyยญDuty?
LED Roof Marker/Clearance Lamps?
Front 40/20/40 Split Bench Seats (not front console) so driver can exit passenger side if need be. (this is important to us with our current narrow driveway)

Inflatable Rear Outboard Safety Belts (Crew Cabยฎ) - for our daughter.

Cruise Control?
Power Equipment ยญ Power Door Locks and Windows
Steering Wheel ยญ Audio Controls?Tilt/Telescoping Steering Wheel?
48 Gallon Fuel Tank โ€“ 176" Wheelbase?Integrated Trailer Brake Controller?Trailer Hitch Receiver โ€“ 2.5" Built Ford Toughยฎ Trailer Hitch Receiver (SRW)?
Hill descent would be very nice. A part of tow package I believe.

stuff John REALLY wants:

Adaptive Cruise Control (Lariat I think? Unsure)?
Platform Running Boards (best if Ford does them. Less hassle, and not โ€œmodifiedโ€ $445 2019.)?
SYNCยฎ 3 for Apple Car Play

have been advised to get:
Upfitter Switches $165 in 2019

Thanks!

John
57 REPLIES 57

LosAngeles
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all - a related question:

If a city has a maximum curb weight (as defined in the cityโ€™s MOTOR VEHICLE REGULATIONS IN RESIDENTIAL DISTRICTS) of 8,000 lbs wet

How will I stand with a current Ford F350, biggest longest version, with an approx 2,500 lb (wet) Pop Up camper - always on board. Daily driver.

In other words - how would my rig relate to an 8,000 curb weight, the limit for residential vehicles in tat city?

Also in other words - would the (always mounted, daily driver) pop up camperโ€™s weight count towards my curb weight? (in the eyes of the city)

the exact wording in bylaw is :

Any motor vehicle having a curb weight of eight thousand (8,000) pounds or greater. For the purposes of this Section, "curb weight" is defined as the weight of a motor vehicle with standard equipment, fuel, oil, and coolant;

thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
The high differential ratio is "old thinking" what is hard to shake from "settled" minds. Just like "oil change 3000" took about 20 years before average car owner got the message that oils had improved a lot since it was invented.
For my diesel I order 3.55 differential (lowest available) as I don't plan to haul 30,000 lb and even if it would downshift more often, I value fuel savings.
The reality even exceed my expectation as the monster engine will haul 8000lb of cargo on all the grades without dropping from overdrive.
Now I wish I could have 3.00 differential.

Youโ€™re camper is up to 8000lbs now?
Stories get better every time!

Here comes English reading comprehension.
Why so many replies from this poster come to this?

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know about 2020 trucks, but when I ordered our 2018 F-350 PSD, I had to choose between 3.55 and 4.10. I would have liked to have gotten 3.73 gears, but those weren't offered. I went with 4.10's because +90% of the time I will be towing, hauling or both. I also seldom drive over 70 and normally 65-67. I like the 4.10's for my application, driving style and total weight of +18,000 lbs.

bradw
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
I'll only talk about one item that is a MUST if your hauling a TC no matter how light it is, get the camper package if you go through the Ford warranty book you'll find without it Ford could/will void your truck warranty.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
LosAngeles wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
The high differential ratio is "old thinking" what is hard to shake from "settled" minds. Just like "oil change 3000" took about 20 years before average car owner got the message that oils had improved a lot since it was invented.
For my diesel I order 3.55 differential (lowest available) as I don't plan to haul 30,000 lb and even if it would downshift more often, I value fuel savings.
The reality even exceed my expectation as the monster engine will haul 8000lb of cargo on all the grades without dropping from overdrive.

Right but we are getting gas, for sure. Many reasons.

A gas does not have the grunt of a diesel.

I believe this could be a related issue? (Or not?)

Any gassers care to chime in?

Have had 2 - 6.2 F250s. Both with 3.73s. That gear set will haul any camper no problem. Lower gears will just give it more grunt than higher gears.
Kayteg is right in that respect. You donโ€™t need low gears just to pack around a TC with that truck.
Depends what you want. The feeel of slightly more power or slightly better mileage, theoretically.
Remember, once the new wears off, itโ€™s just a pickup and a capable one at that, regardless of options.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kayteg1 wrote:

Youโ€™re camper is up to 8000lbs now?
Stories get better every time!

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Diesels of last 10-15 years went from 250 to 440 HP with Ford, while the differentials don't seem to compensate for more engine power at the same rate.
Did not observe gasoline engines improvements, but I know it has similar rate.
Meaning don't look for advise about 440 HP engine from owner of 250 HP model.

LosAngeles
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:

Right but we are getting gas, for sure. Many reasons.

A gas does not have the grunt of a diesel.

I believe this could be a related issue? (Or not?)

Any gassers care to chime in?

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer

LosAngeles
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for the great info and thoughts. Super cool. ๐Ÿ™‚

Some say get 4.1 back end, some say 4.3 back end. No price difference.

any reason to get one over the other?

and...

so I don't see a downside to the E Locker. I read it can be very very very good to have on rough dirt roads, variable pack dirt/sand roads, etc.

I dont see a downside to FX4 package... some roads we go on are occasionally rough. it is cheap to get at time of purchase.

No we wont be going crazy off road....

thanks all

J.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lol, adaptive cruise in city traffic.....
For anyone who hasnโ€™t had the Ford E locker, you shouldnโ€™t comment. One of the most useful low buck options out there unless your truck doesnโ€™t leave level pavement.
No shifting to 4wd when you need that extra bit of traction.

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
I really love adaptive cruise. Especially in city traffic. Heated/Cooled seats and adaptive cruise were my make or break when shopping for a new truck. Remote start is also nice when prepping to go in really cold weather. You can open the doors and load snacks and such with it warming up and not fear someone jumping in and driving off with your rig. LOL
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
I thought it was interesting that several people here touted remote start.

I put the Ravelco anti-theft system on my 2012, and that would render remote start useless.

You can have convenience or you can have REAL security, but you can't have both.

Paranoicaly yours. ๐Ÿ™‚

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
My info is from 2017 when I ordered my truck, so I may be wrong in some cases

Do I care about Fog Lamps? (does anyone ever use them?)
Yes, I use them mainly so others can see me even better

Do we care about Pedals: ยฌ Power Adjustableโ€ฆ?
My wife and I share driving when going camping.
Do the driver memories recall the Power Pedals?
Yes, memory does apply to pedals and mirrors. Adjustable pedals are nice unless you and the wife are the same height.

Do we need to be Lariat to get power seats and power seat memories? I canโ€™t figure this out.
If all you want is power driverโ€™s seat, then you donโ€™t need Lariat. Memory I think is a Lariat requirement, then you get power passenger seat

I didnโ€™t see heated and cooled seats listed anywhere on Lariat specsโ€ฆ. do we need to go higher to get heated and cooled seats? ๐Ÿ˜ž
I have โ€˜em, I believe part of the Lariat package

Do we want to get the 4.3 Electronic Locking Axle?
I believe it is much better for climbing mountains with the 2,500+ truck camper on the back, plus cargoโ€ฆ?
E locker is handy, donโ€™t think you need the 4.30โ€ฆbut check the Ford towing guide as it has a section about campers

If we move to the midwest (a possibility) โ€ฆ would we want the remote start option, so we can warm up the F350 before getting in it?
I like them. Nice to get in a pre heated / cooled truck.

How hard is it to wire in external lights, light bars, etc to the Ford optional Outfitter Switches?
Very easy. Wires are in the engine compartment near the brake booster.

with the vehicle (below) configured as we like, Ford offers either LT275/70R x 18E BSW A/T 4X4 tires

or for an extra $290, I could get LT275/70R x 18E OWL A/T tires.
what tires should i get?
I would MUCH rather have the tires come from Ford, from the start, and not have to change them out, and sell the stock tires.
Factory tires are junk, wear them out (happens soon enough) then get something good.

4.3 Electronic Locking Axle (I believe it is much better for climbing mountains with the 2,500+ truck camper on the back, plus cargo)
See above

FX4 Off Road Package (comes with Skid Plates :ยฌ Transfer Case and Fuel Tank)
Why? Where are you going to go where you will need skid plates? If you are dragging the bottom of this truck, you have more to worry about than needing skid plates.

Snow Plow / Camper Package.
Yes More capacity is good

11,400 GVWR package (or whatever is max GVWR)

Rear Window - privacy glass.
Yes, helps keep the backseat cool.

Medium Duty Battery (a second battery)
I would.

Alternator ยฌ Extra Extra HeavyยฌDuty?
Yes
LED Roof Marker/Clearance Lamps?
I didnโ€™t, but thatโ€™s up to you..

Front 40/20/40 Split Bench Seats (not front console) so driver can exit passenger side if need be. (this is important to us with our current narrow driveway)
Whatever works for you

Inflatable Rear Outboard Safety Belts (Crew Cabยฎ) - for our daughter.
Nothing wrong with that.

Cruise Control?
Sure

Power Equipment ยฌ Power Door Locks and Windows
Not having them will cost you more at resale

Steering Wheel ยฌ Audio Controls?Tilt/Telescoping Steering Wheel? See above

48 Gallon Fuel Tank โ€“ 176" Wheelbase?Integrated Trailer Brake Controller?Trailer Hitch Receiver โ€“ 2.5" Built Ford Toughยฎ Trailer Hitch Receiver (SRW)?
More fuel the better, get the brake control and all that. Never know what the future holds and it adds to resale.

Hill descent would be very nice. A part of tow package I believe.

stuff John REALLY wants:

Adaptive Cruise Control (Lariat I think? Unsure)?
I donโ€™t have it, but have heard good things from those who do
Platform Running Boards (best if Ford does them. Less hassle, and not โ€œmodifiedโ€ $445 2019.)?
Yes, they fit well and support weight without bending.

SYNCยฎ 3 for Apple Car Play

have been advised to get:
Upfitter Switches $165 in 2019
Yes, do you really want to drill holes in the dash of your brand new truck? You can use them for all sorts of things.

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
As far as Ford and backup sensors, I am not sure if they sense the in bed trailer connection but mine did not give me any issues and started working fine once I unloaded the camper. Blind spot would alert me that it was not working each time I started moving. I could have disabled it, but didnt mind hitting OK once each startup.
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)