cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2022 F-350 Demo Impressions

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
My work just took delivery of several 2022 Ford F-350 CC 4x4 LB XLT pickups with the 6.7L diesel and I had the opportunity to drive one for a couple of days while my F-150 was in the shop for maintenance.

A few impressions I had of the truck:

Power - wow, this truck has a lot of get up and go! Definitely a lot more than my detuned G56 Cummins Ram. The 10 speed auto is also very impressive with very defined shifts; it skipped gears (ie 1 to 3 and 3 to 5) when I first got it, but started going through every gear after about a day which I assume is the transmission still learning.

Cab - very nice with great visibility and very good ergonomics as everyone has come to expect from a Super Duty. I had forgotten how much I liked the side windows dipping down by the mirrors in the Super Duty. I also was surprised by the truck telling me to check for occupants in the rear seat after I shut it off; it turns out that it sensed my briefcase on the floor in the rear seat. Pretty cool feature!

Noise levels - the 6.7L engine is super quiet when idling, but the cab did have considerably higher levels of engine noise inside while driving than I expected. Maybe the higher trim levels have more insulation in the cab, but I'm not sure.

Exhaust brake - I played around with the settings on it, and even in full on and the transmission in tow/haul mode, it worked OK, but definitely not nearly as strong as the one in my Ram/Cummins. I would estimate it to be about half as strong, but I suspect that the one in my truck is super strong due in part to the manual transmission.

Fuel tank - I was shocked by the huge fuel tank; the truck had 1/4 tank and still took over 120 litres to fill it up. This would be great for towing.

Overall, it was a very nice truck and I can certainly see why so many people buy them. The truck itself was very solid and well put together, which Ford is well known for. It would have been great to keep it longer to get an idea of fuel economy, but unfortunately my F150 was ready for pick up then!
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes
25 REPLIES 25

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
mosseater wrote:
I have the 7.3 L gas in my 2022 F-250 with the 10 speed. This is an awesome performer! Super happy with it. I'm very impressed with how a 7500 lb vehicle can move like that. So far, 11K miles and very few complaints. A couple minor glitches from Ford, but the drivetrain is all I had hoped for. Pulls my 8000lb TT effortlessly. Now I don't decide whether I should try to pass, instead how fast I want to pass. An a superb set of brakes to boot. As a daily driver it averages 15 mpg, gets nearly 20 on the highway, and just sounds tough as heck when I punch it. So far, the best vehicle I've ever owned. Well worth the $2500 price tag for the engine upgrade.

Glad you like your truck, but the 11 or so being reported for that engine on Fuelly is probably a more realistic expectation for most folks with mixed use empty and towing.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:
Exhaust brake - I played around with the settings on it, and even in full on and the transmission in tow/haul mode, it worked OK, but definitely not nearly as strong as the one in my Ram/Cummins. I would estimate it to be about half as strong, but I suspect that the one in my truck is super strong due in part to the manual transmission.

Well strength is partly based on the gear the transmission is in, likely the auto was a gear or two higher than what you descended the hill in.

I find the EB on our 2016 Ram to be slightly less aggressive than the PacBrake I installed on our 2001 Ram 2500 5.9.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
I've been resisting driving the new Super Duty's for a reason and with the 2023 Duty's coming up it maybe even more challenging.
โ€ฆโ€ฆ

Yep. I went in for an oil change a few years ago on my old F350 Superduty and came home with a new one. :S

Hate it when that happens :B

LMAO.....but true!
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
BB_TX wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
I've been resisting driving the new Super Duty's for a reason and with the 2023 Duty's coming up it maybe even more challenging.
โ€ฆโ€ฆ

Yep. I went in for an oil change a few years ago on my old F350 Superduty and came home with a new one. :S

Hate it when that happens :B
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
FishOnOne wrote:
โ€ฆโ€ฆ

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the 7.3 L gas in my 2022 F-250 with the 10 speed. This is an awesome performer! Super happy with it. I'm very impressed with how a 7500 lb vehicle can move like that. So far, 11K miles and very few complaints. A couple minor glitches from Ford, but the drivetrain is all I had hoped for. Pulls my 8000lb TT effortlessly. Now I don't decide whether I should try to pass, instead how fast I want to pass. An a superb set of brakes to boot. As a daily driver it averages 15 mpg, gets nearly 20 on the highway, and just sounds tough as heck when I punch it. So far, the best vehicle I've ever owned. Well worth the $2500 price tag for the engine upgrade.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

Also hearing some good things about the 7.3 that's produced by our friends in Canada.

I definitely hear you on this! That said, the lack of negotiating power on trucks right now would likely be enough to keep me from making a silly decision! :B

And for the 7.3L, we have several of them at my work that get worked hard and we have had absolutely no issues with any of them. They have pretty good power, and sound fantastic too!
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
blofgren wrote:

I wouldn't judge it based on this...it's entirely likely that the EB changes settings and gets more aggressive when you plug a trailer into the 7-pin connector.

It could very well be, but I had to use the service brakes several times on grades around the city in areas that I know I don't have to with my Ram/Cummins. To me, full on should be full strength whether a trailer is connected or not.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
blofgren wrote:

I wouldn't judge it based on this...it's entirely likely that the EB changes settings and gets more aggressive when you plug a trailer into the 7-pin connector.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III

Also hearing some good things about the 7.3 that's produced by our friends in Canada.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very detailed, objective report. TY for posting.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad