cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2wd or 4wd for towing

ford_coupe
Explorer
Explorer
Having sold our 03 dually in the market for a newer truck for towing our 5th wheel. we now spend winters in florida so see no need for 4wd
is there any advantage to hauling w/4wd over 2wd are frames the same? seems like 2wd dually are hard to find. whats everyone opinion, thanks for any replies
48 REPLIES 48

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
I have only needed 4WD two or three times in my many years of towing experience so it is really hard to justify, until you look at resale or trade-in value. I had a 2WD one ton a while back and took a little bit a of bath on it because no one wanted it. Yes, it is more money up front but you make it up on the back end. It doesn't seem reasonable since most folks never get out of 2WD but that's the way it is. For me, it is not a matter of need but a matter of economics. If you plan to keep it forever then it doesn't matter. I always say I'm buying this one for the long haul but somehow it never works out.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Most towing as others have mentioned is in 2wd but the camping we do, going to Nascar races and bike rallies usually puts us on grass and without 4wd I'd still be sitting in some of them. So its 4wd for me...always!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
99% of my towing is in 2wd. The only times I have used 4wd towing is when I had to tow in the snow. Then it was marvelous.

4wd is great if pulling a camper over grass, dirt, mud, sand, or snow. Depending upon the style of camping you do, you may never leave asphalt and you may live where it never get's icy or snowy. If so, you don't "need" 4wd for towing. You may want it on your vehicle for other reasons, but you won't "need" it for towing.

I use my truck in the winter as my daily driver. We live in the country, in Indiana and when it snows ... it snows! That truck will navigate snow drifts and closed roads when my car won't even make it out of the drive way. For this reason, the 4x4 is priceless!

Besides towing, what else would you use 4x4 for? That's your answer, only you can answer.
"

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
ford coupe wrote:
Having sold our 03 dually in the market for a newer truck for towing our 5th wheel. we now spend winters in florida so see no need for 4wd

Ha, Ha, exactly what I thought back in 2011.

But I was wrong. Florida has some of the worst mud and sand, and even wet grass would stop my 2wd especially as I had Highway tires on it.

We're snowbirds and now have a 4wd with AT tires. This truck has never seen the snow, but lots of muddy, sandy roads and wet grass in campgrounds down South and elsewhere.

But if all you do is go on pavement or level gravel, you'll be ok with 2wd.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow