cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3/4 to-1 ton comparison

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting article that breaks down the real difference between current 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks.
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2018/09/pickup-trucks-101-how-do-srw-2500s-and-3500s-differ.html
33 REPLIES 33

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
RoyJ wrote:
philh wrote:
mich800 wrote:
RoyJ wrote:
What I don't get is how Ram has a higher GVWR/payload for the 6.4 Hemi vs 5.7.

Makes no sense why a bigger engine can CARRY more. They both have enough raw power to tow way more than their payload.

To get people to purchase the higher profit margin engine.

Torque and cooling

The Cummins have the lowest payload of them all...

I ask because DOT scales here do enforce GVWR. They don't care how much you tow (as that's a powertrain warranty spec).

Seems stupid the weight capacity is held back by a lower spec powertrain. I agree profit margins is all I can think of.

In that case they are bumping against the 10k gvwr in the 3/4 ton category. Just no way around that point.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Since 2014, all Ram SRW HD trucks have an AAM 9.25 front axle and an AAM 11.25 rear axle.

You must mean all the 5.7 and 6.4 2500 trucks as all 2500 5.9 HO trucks starting in '03 came with the 11.5" AAM rear axle.

I mean all SRW trucks as in all diesel and gas SRW HD. Before 2014, some SRW HD trucks came with a AAM 10.5.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
mich800 wrote:
RoyJ wrote:

Makes no sense why a bigger engine can CARRY more. They both have enough raw power to tow way more than their payload.

Torque and cooling

The Cummins have the lowest payload of them all...

I ask because DOT scales here do enforce GVWR. They don't care how much you tow (as that's a powertrain warranty spec).

Seems stupid the weight capacity is held back by a lower spec powertrain. I agree profit margins is all I can think of.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Since 2014, all Ram SRW HD trucks have an AAM 9.25 front axle and an AAM 11.25 rear axle.

You must mean all the 5.7 and 6.4 2500 trucks as all 2500 5.9 HO trucks starting in '03 came with the 11.5" AAM rear axle.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Ram Body Builders guide shows the 2500 6.4 hemi has quite a bit more GVWR payload on certain models and the 5.7 has about the same on other models.
Also the 2500 6.4 hemi has a 10k gvwr and 6500 rawr 11.5" AAM axle.
The 2500 5.7 Hemi has a 9000 gvwr and smaller 6000 rawr 10.5" AAM axle.

Gotta' keep in mind those yellow sticker payloads are GVWR based and the 5.7 hemi with lighter weight tranny...front and rear axle will have more gvwr payload.

The 5.7L and 6.4L both have had an 11.5 rear axle since 2014 and the exact same 66RFE trans. Before 2014, the 2500s had the 10.5 and the 3500s had the 11.5.

Since 2014, all Ram SRW HD trucks have an AAM 9.25 front axle and an AAM 11.25 rear axle. The DRW trucks have the same front axle, but have an AMM 11.8 rear axle.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Ram Body Builders guide shows the 2500 6.4 hemi has quite a bit more GVWR payload on certain models and the 5.7 has about the same on other models.
Also the 2500 6.4 hemi has a 10k gvwr and 6500 rawr 11.5" AAM axle.
The 2500 5.7 Hemi has a 9000 gvwr and smaller 6000 rawr 10.5" AAM axle.

Gotta' keep in mind those yellow sticker payloads are GVWR based and the 5.7 hemi with lighter weight tranny...front and rear axle will have more gvwr payload.

On the subject of vehicle mfg weight specs does anyone have a link to the old '00 to 2019 Fleet Ford truck specs that gave all the mechanical specs. All I find now is Ford trucks new website that only shows 2014 to 2019 Ford trucks.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
philh wrote:

Torque and cooling

If you are talking towing, I would buy that.

But doesn't do anything for Payload. In fact a smaller lighter engine should result in greater payload. Any of these engines, the engine is more than enough to handle the truck at max GVWR (which doesn't include towing).

The few Rams I saw on lots when I was shopping that had the 5.7 also had 17" wheels and tires that were rated lower than the 18"/20" combos on all of the 6.4/Cummins trucks.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
RoyJ wrote:

x2 They probably thought that they small increase in power alone was not enough to entice most buyers to pay for the higher profit margin engine. So they had to de-rate it in other areas to make it more appealing.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Soooo........weird.........
They’re actually virtually the same trucks. Whoda think it?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
philh wrote:

Torque and cooling

If you are talking towing, I would buy that.

But doesn't do anything for Payload. In fact a smaller lighter engine should result in greater payload. Any of these engines, the engine is more than enough to handle the truck at max GVWR (which doesn't include towing).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Would have been nice if they put it in tabular form.

Obviously, the duallies are a different ballgame but other than the Dodge, it looks like it's mostly the rear suspension still.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
mich800 wrote:
RoyJ wrote:

Torque and cooling

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
RoyJ wrote:

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
You actually can get the HD Cummins/Aisin combo on SRW 1 ton Rams but otherwise it seemed accurate.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB