cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

4 Season Travel Trailer - Central VA

Mogli
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to go full time in a travel trailer with my wife, 3 year daughter and newborn. We don't plan to travel much, rather stay put and try out the simpler living. We would like to transition to a tiny house and want a trial run first - and to save money to build one.

We are located in central VA and don't plan on going any further north. My biggest concern is getting a travel trailer (or potentially a fifth wheel) that can handle the winter months. I know of the Arctic Fox as a suitable 4 season trailer but they are few and far between and appear to be out of our price range.

Can anyone provide advice/insight regarding an adequate trailer for this area?

Thank you for any and all advice.
13 REPLIES 13

Mogli
Explorer
Explorer
That's great info Mike. Thank you. We won't be going any further north than Virginia mountains.

Thanks again!

mikebte
Explorer
Explorer
4 season is nothing more than advertising. R-20 is the norm of even the nicest of trailers.
Houses struggle and they are r-30-40 with 18 inches of insulation.
If the maker of the RV adds the r value of all the materials used, they get a larger number.
If they tested the r value of all the materials used it would be way less. That's how they get by with high numbers.
So, that being said. Get what you like. Get an enclosed under belly. If your going to North Dakota put a skirt around it, don't over think it.
Double pane rv glass has a .5 r value and is not gas filled. It will keep the moisture build up from happening, but hard to justify the cost.
My 2 cents, take it or leave it.

Mogli
Explorer
Explorer
Is a heartland north country a 4 season make?

Some info online suggests it may be but I can't tell for sure.

Thanks!

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
We have an Arctic Fox and have camped in 4 degrees snug as bugs. Spent 3 days in Columbus OH in a blizzard 1 winter. Love it.

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Bethpage Camp Resort on the Eastern Shore of VA. They have seasonal sites in addition to campsites that will give you the campground feel you are after. Plenty of mobile homes to chose from. A nice place. On the water, huge pool area.

Mogli
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody who quotes Shawshank Redemption is a friend of mine!

Mogli
Explorer
Explorer
Those are the specifics I am looking for. Thank you.

Our lives have changed dramatically over the last three years. We were chasing the American dream but did so the new American way....debt, payments, long working hours, lots of stress. Our last debt is some college loans and my wife is now a stay at home mom. On our way to the simpler life and this is our preferred route for a while. Our family is full of joy and peace that the big house and nice cars didn't provide.

All that being said, my family deserves to be warm and protected. The RV is only temporary but tiny living is the plan for a while.

Thanks again!

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are going to do it, make sure you get a 4 season trailer with good insulation. So, look for a used Arctic Fox, Nash, Lance or other trailer rated for cold weather. You want double pane (thermal) windows. A heated water hose can help with keeping fresh water, but you can also rely on your water tank for nights where the temps drop below freezing.

Another option is to find a park model (used) that is either located in a park you would consider staying at, or pay to have it moved to a park that has a site available for you. Although many VA winters aren't too severe, if you are going to do this, plan on it being a cold blustery one with some stretches of very cold days as well as nights. But, with a good 4 season camper, you could have a great time. And with a 3 year old, you don't want the child to deal with a cold & drafty play area.

Good luck!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Mogli
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you both. That is great input. I am close to Richmond but venture out to Waynesboro/Charlottesville often. I will check some of those out...great idea!

The ideal setup is a 24' bunkhouse that can handle Richmond winters.

rjf7g
Explorer
Explorer
You say "central Virginia", so I am going to assume you are not too far from me (Greenwood, west of Charlottesville). Visit one of the year round campgrounds like Small Country (Louisa) or 340 (Waynesboro) or Misty Mountain (Greenwood) or Shenandoah Hills (Madison) and ride through to look at setups. You will see lots of folks live in their campers year round and make basic modifications. I camp in my class B off and on throughout the winter...it is doable, for sure.
1999 American Cruiser Class B
2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ Bunkhouse
2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS Park Trailer

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Mogli wrote:
Yea that's what my research is coming up with. Not sure about the mobile home though, part of the adventure here is staying at an RV park or campground. I will look into it though.

Any of those brands local or regularly available in my area?

Most are built in the NW or Canada.

Bigfoot
Arctic Fox
Outdoors RV
Grand Design
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Mogli
Explorer
Explorer
Yea that's what my research is coming up with. Not sure about the mobile home though, part of the adventure here is staying at an RV park or campground. I will look into it though.

Any of those brands local or regularly available in my area?

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
RVs are poorly suited to cold weather except for a very few brands/models.

Since you intend to park it and not move you would be better served by a mobile home. The mobile home would be larger, better suited for full time living, better suited for cold weather and might even be less expensive for a used one.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900