Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

4 wheel drive

Dukec
Explorer
Explorer
All
I have a question concerning 4x4 trucks and why I would want one. I will be looking for a new 1 ton truck that will replace my F150 tow vehicle. Everywhere I look at dealer lots and inventory all I see is 4x4s. In the prevailing thought is this better from a towing standpoint? Or is this the dealer and manufacturer conspiring to get more of my cash?
I currently have a bumper pull trailer that my 150 can and does pull but I feel right at the line. I have no interest in boondocking or using the truck for anything off road. I know the dealers harp on resale value but I am buying it for me not the next guy.

Appreciate you thoughts much.

Dukec
82 REPLIES 82

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
I guess it up to what works best for you, topic for sure has been beaten up along the way with a lot of good examples and opinions. I for one look at it as when I start getting stuck the 4 x4 just gets me out. I don't use it to find a mud spot or trash my truck. Never bought it for that. I have a 4x4 Atv if I want to go mudding ...lol....
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
I also never have saw the need for a 4wd. Unless you are dry camping and boon docking.
In 7 years of full timing never saw the need. I don't want to pay the extra for 4wd, pay the upkeep, or pay the extra in fuel. 2wd's are hard to,find, but they are out there. IMHO.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've pulled many a 2WD vehicle and a few 4WD pickups that did not have a locker off of wet grass sites in some PA state parks. I had a 2000 Silverado 1/2 ton without a locker and got myself stuck once. Getting that dead weight moving in wet conditions can be a problem.

Around here (SW PA) good luck finding a pickup of any brand on a dealers lot that is not 4WD. They're pretty much a special order. If you do find one it will be a base fleet model, stripped down in white.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
tdst51 wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
You really don't need 4x4 for towing, and in fact it will lower your tow capacity. But you may need it for playing.

I don't think that's true anymore about lowering your tow capacity. Years ago, yes. If you can afford it, get 4WD. Well worth it.

It's still true. The 4WD is heavier, and all other things being equal, it will have less payload/towing capacity. The hit is only 2-3 hundred pounds though, so it's really not a big deal.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am tempted to quote that 6 foot long post just for meanness. :B

tdsxt51
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
You really don't need 4x4 for towing, and in fact it will lower your tow capacity. But you may need it for playing.

I don't think that's true anymore about lowering your tow capacity. Years ago, yes. If you can afford it, get 4WD. Well worth it.
2014 RAM 2500 CTD 6.7 CCLB Auto
2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

stufarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Growing up in Northern California, we lived right at the base of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. My Dad aways had a 2wd Ford Ranger F250, Camper Special and a Cabover Camper. In the winter, we drove to the Snow Line, in the Summer we launched our Boat. Remember 250 Hp, 4:10 gears and Rear Limited Slip.
Now, Ford Trucks have 400 Hp, 4:30 gears and a Rear Locker. Also, todays public Roads, Campgrounds and Boat Launches are so much better. You'll find today's 2wd's performance amassing. Either choice you make, it still takes a little common sense ..

Rubiranch
Explorer
Explorer
If you've never needed 4-wd I don't know why you would now.
Camp Host, from the other side.

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Lessmore wrote:
Even with 4WD you still need to use your head. Anything can get stuck...even a tank. There used to be an old joke about off roading with a built up 4WD. If they got stuck they were generally about 25 yards further, than the tow truck's winch would reach.

I know, I know...that's why accessory winches are made....

"Lightly used truck and trailer for sale." Trailer brakes don't work for some reason? Probably an easy fix?

Watching that video just confirms to me, that its been a good decision on my part to buy new. When I was a young guy, couldn't afford to do so, but after I got a few birthdays under my belt I was able to.

At least new... I know what the vehicle has been through, how it's been serviced and that it hasn't been abused.

When I watched that video of the truck and trailer going through the relatively high water....;)

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Lessmore wrote:
Even with 4WD you still need to use your head. Anything can get stuck...even a tank. There used to be an old joke about off roading with a built up 4WD. If they got stuck they were generally about 25 yards further, than the tow truck's winch would reach.

"Lightly used truck and trailer for sale." Trailer brakes don't work for some reason? Probably an easy fix?
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
helped a guy back his 5er into a spot this weekend where he had to use 4x4, he just had to swing his front tires off the black top and was backing up hill, new ford f250 diesel.

If you know your limitations just stay within them.

I have had 4 2wd DRW diesels on my farm, all have been useless in the pasture, but I don't live in texas so I guess the pasture is better down there, where I live after the winter thaw you better just take the tractor in the field if you have a 4x4 or not.

we tend to camp in the mountains and 4x4 low range is really nice for some back in sites, if you stay only in concrete pull through sites you won't ever have a problem.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
I really don't understand these diesel and grass problem comments. I recently sold 24 acres of sloping pasture I owned. Drove my two different F350 diesels all over it wet and dry and never used 4x4 unless it was sloppy muddy. Wet grass never a problem. I hunt in the TX hill country and we have a dirt and grass "road" about a half mile thru pastures to our cabin. Again I have never used 4x4 unless sloppy muddy. And have never had to use 4x4 to pull the 34' 5er out of a grass RV site.

I don't think I am that much better driver than any one else. :h

I must be a good driver too. I've been stuck in my field once. I wonder what people with motor homes do? They must always stay on paved roads.

a cursory glance at youtube suggests some of the ones that don't get stuck, and require a rescue, commonly from a 4x4 truck.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
^Oh no you di..int!
You'll have the city slickers here tell you shortly that human sewage put into the ground will wreck all of society because city sewer just makes yer poo disappear like fairy dust!
(Thread from a couple months ago about septics)

Fairy dust for sure...

Most municipalities treat the sewage and discharge the 'treated sewage' into rivers, lakes and streams and then draw their drinking water from the same lakes, rivers and streams. Sort of grand recycling.

Why my next camper will have a casette toilet. If there is no where to flush it, you can dig a hole and bury it similar to an outhouse.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB