cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6.4cor 6.7?

Flashman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fell in love with the Host Mammoth Truck Camper. So am in market for a 3500 DRW - my 2500 Mega short bed has been great but it will not hold the BIG camper.

I was all ready to get the Cummins but then realized I might be happier with the 6.4 gasser - more payload.

Any thoughts?
54 REPLIES 54

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
The 6.7 Cummins is a $9,000 option so you need to decide if it makes sense for you. My 2016 CTD is the last truck I'm ever gonna buy due to my age so I guess it made sense for me. A friend just bought a 6.4 Gasser and loves it, though it doesn't tow heavy
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Ram 5500 with the Cummins for a Host Mammoth.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
IdaD wrote:
I really like the way my Cummins operates towing or empty. The towing part is obvious with all the power and exhaust brake and whatnot. But even empty on a family road trip that thing hums along at about 1750 going 80+ MPH and will do it up a steep grade into a headwind. It gets surprisingly good mileage too.

The Hemi would work but life is short. Yes the Cummins costs a little more up front, but when you factor in better fuel economy and higher resale the cost difference is immaterial from a total cost of ownership standpoint.

Agreed. 6000#'s plus towing a jeep is a lot to ask of the 6.4.
You will want the diesel for the exhaust brake alone!
The only real advantage the 6.4 has over the Cummins is cost. All other factors favor the diesel!
If you consider the cost of fuel and resale value the initial cost factor is negligible.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Bedlam
Flat tow with the 3500 will be fine, but you will want the diesel and supplemental brakes on your Jeep.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I really like the way my Cummins operates towing or empty. The towing part is obvious with all the power and exhaust brake and whatnot. But even empty on a family road trip that thing hums along at about 1750 going 80+ MPH and will do it up a steep grade into a headwind. It gets surprisingly good mileage too.

The Hemi would work but life is short. Yes the Cummins costs a little more up front, but when you factor in better fuel economy and higher resale the cost difference is immaterial from a total cost of ownership standpoint.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Flashman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would be flat towing a 1997 Jeep wrangler - 4 cylinder - only about 3000 lbs.

Bedlam
My Host Mammoth is 4712 lbs dry. By the time you add 60 gallons of water, occupants and personal gear, you're pushing 6000 lbs. The 3500 will be able to carry it, but don't plan on towing anything with tongue weight at the same time using that truck.

The 6.4 Hemi will do fine just carrying around the high profile camper even if it does sing pulling grades. If you plan to tow behind this combination, you need to look at the 6.7 CTD. Although the gasser is lighter than the diesel, all the weight is up front. In real world use, that rear axle will be loaded about the same regardless of your engine choice.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
For just the TC I think the gas engine makes the most sense; it's less expensive and gives you more payload.
If you intend to also tow a trailer of any size then the diesel might be a good idea.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
If you're towing or carrying heavy on a regular basis there is no substitute for diesel power. Especially if there are any steep grades to climb.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Both great trucks. If you get a gasser, get the 3.73 gears at a minimum, if not the 4.10's. The big Hemi creates a LOT of HP and torque, and you can buy a LOT of gas for the price difference of the Cummins (if you don't need to power from the Cummins).
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS