cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

68db generator

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
I made the jump last night because the price is to good to pass up. If it is a little noisy for the trailer it will work just fine as a back up in my shop. Home Depot has a Sportsman 4000W propane generator on sale for $299 with free shipping. The nice thing about this particular Sportsman is the 30A RV outlet.
Randy
35 REPLIES 35

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
randallb wrote:
$299 for 4000Ws of propane powered generator is worth annoying the neighbors if I find myself at a WallyWorld.
That's very considerate of you. I'm sure everyone will ignore the noise and congratulate you on your wise purchase.

Congrats on the nice purchase, I appreciate folks that live within their means. Sometimes we have to make choices with our money and can't have the quietest or nicest generator. I much rather see a family enjoying what they have than folks with fancy rigs and best of everything, but not being able to enjoy it because they can't afford it..

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
randallb wrote:
$299 for 4000Ws of propane powered generator is worth annoying the neighbors if I find myself at a WallyWorld.
That's very considerate of you. I'm sure everyone will ignore the noise and congratulate you on your wise purchase.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
Ordered on the 6th and sitting in the garage on the 10th. Can't beat that for good service on free shipping. Have not been able to unpack it or start it up because I fractured a rib on Tuesday afternoon. Will follow with my impressions sometime next week.
Randy

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
BubbaChris wrote:
Randy,

One of the reviews on the HD site had a comment that reminded me of similar reports about the cheap Harbor Freight generators. You may not be able to get all the rated wattage out of the RV plug.

So you'd be OK for running the microwave or refrigerator, but not for running the air conditioning in your TT. I'd read through the documentation completely when it arrives and return it promptly if it won't meet your desired needs.

This version of their manual does not appear to cover the model with the RV plug:
GEN4000LP MANUAL

There made it a "clicky"..

The HF 4K gen is a 120/240V gen, it has a 120/240 twistlock plugin.

The Sportsman 4000W gen is a 120V ONLY gen (it DOES NOT HAVE A 120/240V twistlock).. Since it does not have a 120/240 outlet there is no need for the windings to be "split" into two 120V series windings.

I have the older version gas version which was sold as a Buffalo Tools name instead of the Sportsman name and is black instead of green..

I measured mine at 21ft at 65 DB which is not all that bad for an open frame gen.. I was expecting it to sound like an old Briggs and Stratton gen and I was just shocked that it wasn't as loud as the old Briggs gens are..

It IS a Honda "CLONE" engine and as such the mechanical noise is really well damped unlike a Briggs and Stratton..

The gen and power head are mounted on rubber vibration mounts, unlike the old Briggs and Stratton gens.

It uses a super quiet multi chamber muffler unlike the old single chamber muffler on the old Briggs and stratton gens.

Even the muffler is mounted via rubber vibration mounts.

Mine has been dead on dependable other than needing to replace the spark plug shortly after buying it..

We have used our to run A/C units in our TT (run it just long enough cool down the TT for comfortable sleeping) along with run the microwave when stopping and overnighting on trips.

It has served double duty at our home as a backup power source when the POCO goes out.. Just this fall we had an extended power outage for nearly 12hrs.. Ran the wood burner fan, a bunch of lights plus Fridge and freezer..

I would highly recommend buying a good name brand spark plug, the ones they ship in the gens doesn't seem to last long and when it quits it won't start.

On edit, I see someone else was a bit faster in typing on the clicky..

One other mod that I have made was I added an inline fuel filter.. My stupidity and during a power outage I dumped the remainder of a gas can into the tank, instead of discarding the last few drops of fuel.. Had to dump the fuel bowl to get the crud out of the carb.. Lesson learned.

Since the OP has a LP they won't need to worry about that..

I keep coming back on threads like this so *I* can learn as much as the OP. Thanks for the clarifications!
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
we have the Champion 3500/4000. Great genny for the money, then again I'd never run it in a campground short of an emergency. It is rated at 68 DB at 23 ft and according to my phone app, that's what it does too.

We used it one season boondocking and spent the money we would have on a quieter but not quiet generator and bought solar, batteries, inverters and other stuff. Now we don't need the generator any more.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. $299 for 4000Ws of propane powered generator is worth annoying the neighbors if I find myself at a WallyWorld.
Randy

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oldme wrote:
Web search information found for comparison.

Environmental Noise

Weakest sound heard 0dB
Whisper Quiet Library at 6' 30dB
Normal conversation at 3' 60-65dB
Telephone dial tone 80dB
City Traffic (inside car) 85dB
Train whistle at 500', Truck Traffic 90dB

Here is a link to a nice loudness comparison chart..

NOISE COMPARISON CHART

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
Web search information found for comparison.

Environmental Noise

Weakest sound heard 0dB
Whisper Quiet Library at 6' 30dB
Normal conversation at 3' 60-65dB
Telephone dial tone 80dB
City Traffic (inside car) 85dB
Train whistle at 500', Truck Traffic 90dB

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
BubbaChris wrote:
Randy,

One of the reviews on the HD site had a comment that reminded me of similar reports about the cheap Harbor Freight generators. You may not be able to get all the rated wattage out of the RV plug.

So you'd be OK for running the microwave or refrigerator, but not for running the air conditioning in your TT. I'd read through the documentation completely when it arrives and return it promptly if it won't meet your desired needs.

This version of their manual does not appear to cover the model with the RV plug:
GEN4000LP MANUAL

There made it a "clicky"..

The HF 4K gen is a 120/240V gen, it has a 120/240 twistlock plugin.

The Sportsman 4000W gen is a 120V ONLY gen (it DOES NOT HAVE A 120/240V twistlock).. Since it does not have a 120/240 outlet there is no need for the windings to be "split" into two 120V series windings.

I have the older version gas version which was sold as a Buffalo Tools name instead of the Sportsman name and is black instead of green..

I measured mine at 21ft at 65 DB which is not all that bad for an open frame gen.. I was expecting it to sound like an old Briggs and Stratton gen and I was just shocked that it wasn't as loud as the old Briggs gens are..

It IS a Honda "CLONE" engine and as such the mechanical noise is really well damped unlike a Briggs and Stratton..

The gen and power head are mounted on rubber vibration mounts, unlike the old Briggs and Stratton gens.

It uses a super quiet multi chamber muffler unlike the old single chamber muffler on the old Briggs and stratton gens.

Even the muffler is mounted via rubber vibration mounts.

Mine has been dead on dependable other than needing to replace the spark plug shortly after buying it..

We have used our to run A/C units in our TT (run it just long enough cool down the TT for comfortable sleeping) along with run the microwave when stopping and overnighting on trips.

It has served double duty at our home as a backup power source when the POCO goes out.. Just this fall we had an extended power outage for nearly 12hrs.. Ran the wood burner fan, a bunch of lights plus Fridge and freezer..

I would highly recommend buying a good name brand spark plug, the ones they ship in the gens doesn't seem to last long and when it quits it won't start.

On edit, I see someone else was a bit faster in typing on the clicky..

One other mod that I have made was I added an inline fuel filter.. My stupidity and during a power outage I dumped the remainder of a gas can into the tank, instead of discarding the last few drops of fuel.. Had to dump the fuel bowl to get the crud out of the carb.. Lesson learned.

Since the OP has a LP they won't need to worry about that..

Kemahsabe
Explorer
Explorer
BubbaChris wrote:
Randy,

http://www.buffalotools.com/manuals/gen4000lpmanual.pdf

Clicky

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
If you are considering a Champion Product check out their web site.

"Based in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Champion Engine Technology (CET) is the research and development arm of Champion Power Equipment and the center for our technical innovation".

http://www.championpowerequipment.com/

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Wishbone51 wrote:
+3dB is twice as loud, but since our hearing is logarithmic too, it doesn't seem twice as loud. ๐Ÿ™‚

NO

+3dB is twice the energy, not twice as loud.

The ear is neither log nor linear. It can barely tell a 1dB difference.

An increase of 10dB (a good quiet generator is about 58dB), is 10 times the energy. It is NOT ten times as loud.

This generator is right at the published limit for the Forest Service, which means it's too loud (IMO)

PS, I worked in acoustics and noise control for many years
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
Randy,

http://www.buffalotools.com/manuals/gen4000lpmanual.pdf
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 4k Generac XL that has about the same dB rating. It's loud but works great. I rarely use it anymore for camping but keep it around for the house. It runs at a constant 3600 rpms which makes it noisier than one that runs at a lower rpm. I used it alot when I had my 35ft fifth wheel.

4k is a good all around choice for a RV generator.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
randallb wrote:
If we are in a CG the new trailer will be on hook ups. The idea behind the generator is for those situations where we may have to be self sufficient like a WallyWorld parking lot or similar. WallyWorld is not the norm for us but we did park at the Ada, OK store when one RV park was full and the other we could not access because of the crown of the RR crossing. The trailer behind the pusher would not clear the crossing. Randy

I say let-ur rip at the WallyWorld parking lot or similar.....Just not at the otherwise quiet and peaceful Forest Service Campgrounds.