cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

84 bigfoot fiberglass bluging, should i be worried?

sasq40
Explorer
Explorer
noticed after my couple week trip with my new to me camper that i had spots around the camper starting to bulge out, there was one spot in the middle, but two spots were right were the cabover 45s out to go over to the truck. My dad seems to think this is because the inside is starting to rot, so figured id post here to get a second opinion

14 REPLIES 14

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Is this is a molded fiberglass Bigfoot?

If so, there isn't really anything do deliminate in that kind of construction. The body/wall is made of the same stranded fiberglass that they use for boats, not the luan-composite "sandwich" typically used these days on stick-built units.

Given the location of those deformities immediately above what look like camperjacks, I think it more likely that what you have is the fiberglass collapsing/bending/deforming under the camper's weight. That's not an especially strong point on the camper... It may be that whatever reinforcement those spots were provided with is gone- if there was ever any there at all.

Bigfoots are molded fiberglass shells supported by a wood frame. The glass shouldn't delaminate, but the wood is subject to rot.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
Two steel plates with matching drilled holes might help the sagging spots if they are just due to sagging fiberglass or even worse. Paint them the same color black and they will may just blend.

sasq40
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah painted black so when it's in the low temps will keep it a little warmer, and wanted it to match my truck. By the sounds of it there's more work involved then the things worth.

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
Well OP is in Alberta so black might be good in a big part of the year.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

54suds
Explorer
Explorer
My 88 has the same bulge I have opened that wall, mine has the propane storage compartment in that area . There is no indication of any water damage nor is there any obvious reason for the bulge other than years of leverage stress focused on that area.
2021 Chev 6.6 duramax ltz DBL cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
Raften wrote:
Is the Big Foot really black? If it is and sits in the sun I might guess some glue let loose due to heating.

My exact thoughts. A BLACK Big Foot????

Who's bright idea was that?
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
Look's like the cab over area has been flexing. You may need a winter project of opening up the inside for a look. Might need some pieces replaced and beefed up. Best to do it now before it gets worse. This will help you bond with your camper.

I think my bulging started around 84. Now Doc want's me to lose some of it but I'm sort of attached to it.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

fatmanobx
Explorer
Explorer
hard to tell, but it looks like there is a trail from the vent above the bludge. I would start there first..
2011 Lance 855
3.5# Minpin named Darcy RIP
Ford F250 Super Duty

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
Is the Big Foot really black? If it is and sits in the sun I might guess some glue let loose due to heating.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
well its not bulging 'cause its fat like me 😞 or pregnant like my daughter-in-law :))
so a fair guess is you've got problems in the framing
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Is this is a molded fiberglass Bigfoot?

If so, there isn't really anything to delaminate in that kind of construction. The body/wall is made of the same stranded fiberglass that they use for boats, not the luan-composite "sandwich" typically used these days on stick-built units.

Given the location of those deformities immediately above what look like camperjacks, I think it more likely that what you have is the fiberglass collapsing/bending/deforming under the camper's weight. That's not an especially strong point on the camper... It may be that whatever reinforcement those spots were provided with is gone- if there was ever any there at all.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

mark5w
Explorer
Explorer
Water intrusion. Expensive to fix. Probably rot.
'13 2018 JAYCO EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS- '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension

sasq40
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah guess it's time to sell it off as a hunting unit 😞

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
I expect your dad may be correct. It can be due to long term leaking.

At least the MH lasted 30 years which is a long time.