cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck camper and a motorcycle

AITG
Explorer
Explorer
I have the camper in my sig line and I've been thinking it would be nice to pull a motorcycle behind the camper. I can set up the camper at a site and leave everything hooked up and use the bike to get around for the day.

I DON'T want a Harley and I can't use a 250 cc "hamster bike". I'm 6 ft, 215 lb. I took the MSA class on a Suzuki TU 250X. I was so cramped up I found I was riding the rear brake because my foot wouldn't clear the pedal when it was on the peg.

Anyone have any suggestions? Would a dual sport style bike be the answer? If so, which ones are weighted to on-road over dirt? Any advice is appreciated. (Except "Motorcycles are dangerous". I know).
The Big Dog.
2003 Chev ECLB DRW Duramax LB7
2003 Lance 1121
My idea of roughing it is single ply toilet paper.
60 REPLIES 60

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
sorry double post error while trying to edit. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
I use one of these in my trailer. It too is removable, but allows for solo loading even with heavy bikes as it captures the front wheel and holds it vertical while you put on the tie downs. I got the wider one for my street bike along with spacers for hauling my dirt bikes. Pricer for sure, but very happy with the product as it can be used free standing as well.

Wheeldock
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Pingel makes some nice wheel chocks which are removable. That's what I use in my small trailer.

http://pingelonline.com/wheel_chocks.htm

I use the trailer for a lot of other things, so it's important to not have a permanent chock in the way when I hauling other stuff.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Markh12
Explorer
Explorer
AITG wrote:
Markh12 wrote:

I can carry a bunch of extra's in the trailer along with the bike. The spare tire for the truck is in there to. I have no desire to crawl under the truck and camper to try and get it out otherwise. Actually I couldn't, the camper covers the socket used to lower the tire.

This is exactly the setup I'm looking for. Ironically, I had thought about moving the spare into the trailer as well. Is the trailer set up as a bike hauler or did you have to install D rings?

The trailer is setup to haul motorcycles or ATV's. It came with D rings and a ventilation system so fumes wouldn't build up. You can see one of the vents on the lower side of the trailer behind the wheel. The other vent is on the other side just below the roof line near the front. This trailer is balanced well enough that I can move it around by myself when it's empty. It has a beaver tail so loading and unloading is easy.
The total length of the camper and trailer is right around 39 feet.
1999 Lance 1020
2000 Dodge 3500 Cummins Sport 2wd 5spd
48" Super hitch, Torklift, XL Turn buckles

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
DON'T buy a trailer unless it has a side door. Side door is invaluable.
Bob

AITG
Explorer
Explorer
Markh12 wrote:

I can carry a bunch of extra's in the trailer along with the bike. The spare tire for the truck is in there to. I have no desire to crawl under the truck and camper to try and get it out otherwise. Actually I couldn't, the camper covers the socket used to lower the tire.

This is exactly the setup I'm looking for. Ironically, I had thought about moving the spare into the trailer as well. Is the trailer set up as a bike hauler or did you have to install D rings?
The Big Dog.
2003 Lance 1121

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
trail-explorer wrote:
a 6x12 enclosed cargo trailer would be a perfect bike hauler behind a truck camper.

That's what I use:

Or the 8.5 x 20 garage on wheels:

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

ijon
Explorer
Explorer
Camp, Forrest, Camp! wrote:
The 650 dual sport is a great choice. It will have plenty of starch to get around and won't be hard to handle. If you go with a road bike, I would start with a 750. A nice used Japanese bike will serve you very well. I have a Honda Shadow ACE 1100. It is a big cruiser and would be awfully heavy for a beginner. Once it starts to tip, there's no stopping it. Just the other day I didn't get the kickstand down completely and it fell over in my driveway.
Buy a Spyder you won't have to worry about falling over.

steve68steve
Explorer
Explorer
AITG wrote:
steve68steve wrote:
AITG wrote:

1. ... sticking largely to roads, mostly paved ones....

2. Less than 10k. ... fuel injection and ABS .... I like the feel of light weight bikes.

3. ....reliable starts-every-time-and-never-strands-me performance....

4. Inseam in boots, 35 inches.

Does this help at all?
Yes, you want a Suzuki V Strom 650.

I found a website www.stromtrooper.com There is a ton of information on the V-Strom. I'm pretty sure that's going to be my target bike. As soon as it starts snowing I'll start shopping (Yes, I am that cheap...).

I am 'phoenixsteve' on Stromtrooper. There is also a more technical site at VSRI.info if you will be doing all your own maintenance, as i do.

Suzuki routinely has a 0% financing deal in the Spring.

I'm on my second VStrom - I had a used 2005 DL1000 I put 10,000 miles on, traded in on a 2012 650 which I've put 12,000 miles on. I tour and camp off the V Strom when not with the wife in the TC.

The V Strom is meant to compete primarily against:
Triumph: Tiger 800
BMW: F 650, F 800
Kawasaki: Versys
Honda: NC 700X
KTM: not sure, a couple tho.

The Versys is a well-reviewed bike that's been out a few years with a loyal following; more street-biased but best to compare to the VStrom. The Honda is a little unconventional; too new to really have a track record. The Euro bikes are probably out of your price range.

Motorad Blog
of my V Strom doings.
2013 Travel Lite 960RX
2001 Ford F350 Diesel Super Cab Long Bed

Markh12
Explorer
Explorer

1999 Lance 1020

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
here is my little rig, it is just a 250cc super Sherpa Kawasaki, we both weigh a combined 350 and rode it today to get some supplies for a cook out, had lots of throttle left at 68 mph.

being a new rider don't go too big, it is easy to get the big eye, I have rode dual sport for 38 years most of my bikes have been over 600cc, the fact I am on a 250 should tell you something, oh and 76 mpg is a nice adder.

1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

AITG
Explorer
Explorer
One of the fringe benefits of the trailer is that it would give me a place to put a grill without making my camper reek inside or having to drag it onto the roof.
The Big Dog.
2003 Lance 1121

Markh12
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
a 6x12 enclosed cargo trailer would be a perfect bike hauler behind a truck camper.

That's what I use, except mine is a 6x10. The bike is out of the weather and I store the truck's spare tire, tools and generator in there also.
1999 Lance 1020

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Bob