cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9500lb vs 7600 lb trailer

Keen_Family
Explorer
Explorer
If you have seen our other posts, we are in the process of buying a new old stock travel trailer, a 2014 Forest River Cherokee Grey Wolf 29BH. We haven't confirmed the deal yet, but we are close to signing on the dotted line.

A 2014 new old stock Forest River Cherokee 284BH has just come available, at a slightly better price, from a different dealer. The Grey wolf has a GVWR of 7753 lbs, and the 284BH has a GVWR of 9985 - so 2200 lbs heavier. Both have very similar floor plans - Queen bedroom with solid doors, living room slide, and quad bunks for the kids.

Our tow vehicle is a 2015 Ford F150, with the 3.5 ecoboost and max tow package - it is rated for 10,500 lbs. Both are under our tow capacity, but the 284BH is getting close.

We've never towed anything as heavy as either trailer. To date, the heaviest thing we've towed (on a 6000km round trip), is a 3500 lb tent trailer. We'll be getting a weight distribution hitch and sway bar combination. We expect to be doing lengthy tows (1000 - 3000 kms) with the trailer - as we will be using it as a base to explore Canada and the U.S.

What comments do you have on these trailers? Which would you be most interested?
23 REPLIES 23

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Stick with the lighter trailer to avoid pushing the actual tongue weight which will be considerably more than the published number
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Quad bunkhouse means kids...more than one and that means lots of extra stuff that goes along with them...gear, toys, etc...
It's all about payload and even though you have a reasonably capable truck, I'd go with the lighter model.
All the tongue weights you quoted are Dry weights and really meaningless.

Good luck with your choice.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
camp-n-family wrote:
With similar floor plans, I would take the lighter of the two.

X2 !
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unless your going to be towing either trailer fully loaded the GVWR is just a guide. What I recommend is using the dry weight and adding approx. 1200-1500lbs to it. This would get you close to your real world ready to travel weight. Some trailers have a very low CCC, some have a CCC that is very high. For instance my trailer has a 4100lb CCC so if I went by the GVWR I probably wouldn't have bought it, however the dry weight is 7100lbs and the GVWR IS 11,200lbs. The trailer weighs 9200lbs loaded for a week long trip.

So I would recommend taking the dry weight and adding 1200-1500lbs to it. Much better to use the weights you will be towing at instead of a weight you will likely never see!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Keen_Family
Explorer
Explorer
Payload capacity for the truck is about 2050 lbs. The tongue weight of the lighter TT is 650 lbs, and the heaver is 950. Again, within our capacity, but once we have passengers and gear, only just.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
What is the payload capacity of your truck? Tow rating is not the only parameter to consider. Do you have the payload for the heavier TT?
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
camp-n-family wrote:

x2.

I hope you are getting 50% off msrp on a TT that's been sitting uncared for on a dealers lot for 2 yrs. IMO, buying a 2 yr old off a dealers lot is like buying used with a warranty for appliances.

UV damage to roof caulk, side seams and windows , tires, wheel bearings dried out, make sure the battery date is new and check propane system using a manometer.
Not able to see : Interior wiring damage from a rodent and the carpenter ants woke up on my drive home from the dealership .

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I tow GVWR of 7700 with the 2013 model very similar to your truck.

It tows it very well, but not effortlessly. If I ever bought more trailer, I would upgrade trucks. It is an amazing truck, but I prefer the feeling of "not knowing its back there". I used this truck with a GVWR of 4000 pounds, and that was truly like it wasn't there. With 4000 pounds, I would get about 11.5mpg towing. With my current trailer, I struggle to get 10mpg.

Power is not where the truck shows its weakness. Stability in a cross wind or passing trucks is my concern.

You didn't mention the wheelbase you have? Mine is a crew cab (157"), and that will make a difference in stability.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley