cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

9K Coleman AC and Yami 2k

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
We have been on about 6 trips in our new TC so far and for the first time this week got into a little heat that was uncomfortable for the Wife. We were just looking for an hour or so to cool down a bit during the heat of the day. I specifically got the 9k AC unit to run on our Yamaha 2k and knew it might be tough.
It ran the unit fine in my driveway (of course) for about 30 minutes, sea level, 80 degrees ice cold, no problem, batteries charging and a couple of lights on.

We tried to use it twice this week, 2 different spots, both about the same altitude WA Cascades about 2500โ€™. Edit-ECO WAS OFF.

1st attempt-92 degrees, part shade, fail. Even dxโ€™d the battery switch feeding everything, poor little genny.

2nd attempt- 88 degrees full sun, worked. Ran it for about an hour, much happier Wife, batteries charging, couple of lights, no trips.

Thinking maybe a Honda 2.2k might get it done better? It is the same size and will fit in my custom compartment just fine also. The Yami also struggles to run my fridge and chest freezer at home during power outages. I have a buddy that said Heโ€™d give me $650 for it, bought it new for $875 several years ago. Might be time to bite the bullet. Anyone have any experience with the new Honda 2.2k and a 9k AC in similar situations?
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73
18 REPLIES 18

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
ardvark wrote:
Converter still works with disconnect off, just isn't charging battery.

Exactly, that's what I was thinking originally, wasn't 100%. Figured if it didn't have the batteries to charge it wouldn't have much draw.

I think at this point i'm going to get my ducks in a row better for next time, figure out which breaker is for the converter and such, keep the Yami for now and go from there.

Thanks for all of the replies and ideas.
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73

ardvark
Explorer
Explorer
Converter still works with disconnect off, just isn't charging battery.

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
ECO was off, 100% sure, I knew that going in.
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Leave the Eco off for AC use, pretty sure it says this in the generators manual as well. This will give full rated power and prevent a low voltage situation on start up damaging the AC compressor. Votlage will dip down into the 80s on eco starts which can be very damaging to motor windings.

I use 2 Yamaha 2K in parallel for my AtWood 13.5 AC
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
My fridge was on gas only. When I hit the battery dx switch the fridge went dark along with everything else in the camper, still wouldn't run. I guess i could look into hitting the breaker for the converter, but that kinda sucks, be nice to give the batteries a bump and not sure the converter is working when the battery disconnect switch is off anyway, or is it? Maybe it was just a combo of altitude and heat? Had about 6 in me, maybe I missed something, new to powering the AC with a genni. I'll try again when we heat up, but not with altitude.
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73

ardvark
Explorer
Explorer
I run that AC with my Yamaha 2,000 although it definitely is not on ECO and it does scream, but I also do not turn off my power converter while doing it. Don't care what the specs say, you will find variation between AC units and also genny output between units.

chuckklr04
Explorer
Explorer
My yamaha 2000 runs my coleman mach 8 12000btu with eco off, fridge on gas
Lets ride! were not getting any younger!

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Area13 wrote:
Was bit disapointed in the Yami, Wife was pissed! We live in W. Wa and 90 starts hitting Us ((Her)) pretty good, especially after activities.

Iโ€™m pretty sure I had everything dxโ€™d by hitting the battery dx switch. My fridge shut off and all the lights when I turned it to off. I definately had eco mode off. I reset the genny several times slowly going in to AC low, couldnโ€™t do it.

Wait, you used the battery disconnect switch? That won't remove the load of the converter or guarantee anything about the fridge. Once you fire up the generator the converter powers the 12V for the fridge and the fridge will also see 120V. You need to be sure the select LP and turn off the circuit breaker for the converter. If I misunderstood, disregard but I am surprised it wouldn't do it.

The fridge alone takes ~300w. Our Honda 2k runs the Polar Cub 9k on ECO with the converter ON.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Put a MicroAir on your AC for $300.00 and your Yamaha should have no problem running your AC.

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
71stpsde wrote:
Westinghouse 2200 watt has very good reviews and is around $500.

Amazon Prime for $479 at the moment.
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m not familiar with the Yami but as others has stated, refer and hot water heater need to be on LPG, fan set on LOW speed, and on board converter-charger set to off...Generator will loose a bit of efficiency (continuous output) once fully warmed-up (say beyond 30 min) and when at higher elevations, and air cond will draw a bit more current at the highest ambient temps...

FWIW, I just replaced my Honda 2000i with the new Honda 2200i and on our first outing out found that in out in the high desert at about 6,000โ€™ with ambient at about 95df, it still wonโ€™t run my 11k btu Coleman Mach 1 P.S. while on Eco, but I found that where the former 2000i struggled and would often overload at this same location, the 2000i delivered continuously without a hitch....Camper interior temps dropped from 97df to 77df without any hiccups ...

Published running amps for the Coleman are 9.0a (compressor and fan), but actual measured running amps are closer to 9.5a for the compressor only and 2.1a for fan (coils are clean)...This is only our first test run, but in my view the extra 200w is what made the difference...Itโ€™s not quite clear to me that running the air cond on Eco is a viable option, at least at these higher elevations...JMO

3 tons

71stpsde
Explorer
Explorer
Westinghouse 2200 watt has very good reviews and is around $500.

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
n0m4d wrote:
I know this topic is contentious but after a bunch of research I'll picked up a Ryobi 2300 (RYI2300BTA) generator this summer. Aside from the Honda with it's Hondaness and the Yamaha with it's Yamahaness, the Ryobi seems like the best inverter gen out there. It runs my 13.5 btu Dometic with eco off (and with the charger/converter on). I've been very happy with it and it has some nice features that others do not have.

Ok, iโ€™ll check that one out and itโ€™s ryobiness. Looks to be just a little louder, a little bigger, a little heavier and a bit stronger. I think it will fit in my custom sompartment too. Thanks for the lead, will add to my list of solutions.
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
Was bit disapointed in the Yami, Wife was pissed! We live in W. Wa and 90 starts hitting Us ((Her)) pretty good, especially after activities.

Iโ€™m pretty sure I had everything dxโ€™d by hitting the battery dx switch. My fridge shut off and all the lights when I turned it to off. I definately had eco mode off. I reset the genny several times slowly going in to AC low, couldnโ€™t do it.
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73