cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a/c is 15.5k btu???

bzgenius
Explorer
Explorer
Was trying to look at my a/c unit to figure out what generator to get and it is a dometic quick cool with no other info on the unit anywhere not even in the electrical box on the roof. The compressor is RKC5515EXA which is a 15.5k btu compressor unit. Why in the world would they put one that big on a little tc. Now I am faced with buying a big generator or buy a smaller a/c unit and that a little 2000 watt gen will run.
15 REPLIES 15

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Hopefully that Yamaha 2400 servers you well.

I had one, and it was worse at running my A/C than my Honda.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

bzgenius
Explorer
Explorer
The humidity is so high that I have a waterfall off the side of the camper.

bzgenius
Explorer
Explorer
Not near that hot but been 90 today and no shade and its like a fridge inside with the 15.5 and it actually cycles off and on occasionally.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is a good news.
Don't know what weather you have in your place, but since my previous reply, we've been to Phoenix.
The 12.5k AC on our camper run at least 20 hr every day, camper had decent shade, yet in the afternoon the temperatures inside were reaching 90F with 120F outside.
Pulling stuff from cabinets was like emptying the oven.

bzgenius
Explorer
Explorer
Good news, the easystart let the yamaha 2400 run my a/c and didn't seem to bog it down at all.

bzgenius
Explorer
Explorer
The easy start came in today but the generator did not so it looks like Monday or Tuesday to try it out.

Powerdude
Explorer
Explorer
I definitely agree with the above.

A smaller AC may not be the answer. I had mine blowing at max in humid and hot temperatures, and it took a while to cool it, even at 13.5k BTU.
2016 F250 CCSB 4x4 6.2L
2001 Lance 820

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Greg B wrote:
I'd go with a smaller a/c unit. Bigger isn't always better when it comes to air conditioners. If you live in a part of the country that deals with humidity, they often cool the camper too quickly. As a result, they dont run long enough to dehumidify the air.

Since in CA I did camp in the mountains, under the shade, this is first real test for my camper AC.
I am in Phoenix now, with triple digit temperatures.
Come to the park at 1 PM, hook up the power as 1st priority, started my 12.5K AC and 3 hr later still have 86F on the counter-top.
Much hotter in camper pockets and close to the wall.
Camper park under the tree, so only partly exposed to the sun.
I guess the AC will make me comfortable about 9 PM.

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
bzgenius wrote:
I have ordered the micro easy start and will try to get the yamaha 2400 in the next week and hope it works. Seems to be good reviews with using the 2000 so hoping that the $200 more on the bigger generator will make it a sure thing. Will let you know when I get it done and hopefully the good news!!!

Make sure you follow the wiring instruction carefully and please do let us know the results.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

bzgenius
Explorer
Explorer
I have ordered the micro easy start and will try to get the yamaha 2400 in the next week and hope it works. Seems to be good reviews with using the 2000 so hoping that the $200 more on the bigger generator will make it a sure thing. Will let you know when I get it done and hopefully the good news!!!

Greg_B
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go with a smaller a/c unit. Bigger isn't always better when it comes to air conditioners. If you live in a part of the country that deals with humidity, they often cool the camper too quickly. As a result, they dont run long enough to dehumidify the air.
04 Dodge 1 ton dually, Cummins, auto, quad cab, 4x4, SLT, Sport, Reese Titan V

04 Lance 1161, TV/DVD, high efficiency A/C, Honda EU2000

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at the Micro-Air easy start device. They claim that you can start and run a 15k AC with a Honda 2000i generator.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
My suggestion is a new small A/C (9000-1200 btu) about $700 and Honda 2000 about $1000. That would be a total of $1700, about the cost of a big generator.

That will give you both new units with a more efficient A/C and much lighter weight generator. You typically will get 8 to 10 hours run time with one tank (1 gal) of gas. The bigger generator will require more fuel.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
bzgenius wrote:
Was trying to look at my a/c unit to figure out what generator to get and it is a dometic quick cool with no other info on the unit anywhere not even in the electrical box on the roof. The compressor is RKC5515EXA which is a 15.5k btu compressor unit. Why in the world would they put one that big on a little tc. Now I am faced with buying a big generator or buy a smaller a/c unit and that a little 2000 watt gen will run.

That's a TECUMSEH Rotary AC compressor, you'll need a 3000 watt generator to start up that AC unit. The problem is the start up amps that is needed for that unit, the RLA is 13 amps plus the fan motor, the require starting amp will be at least 20-22 amps minimum. Your AC unit is commonly known as a 1 ton system. Here's aLINK to the spec sheet for that compressor. You may want to look into this device, I can't tell you one way or the other if it really works...Micro-Air
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog