cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A/C's on TC in the south.

chuckklr04
Explorer
Explorer
How well do the window units and smaller Camper model a/c's (7500btu) work down here.

Figure the smaller start up and running amps would be a plus for an 2000watt honda Genny.
Lets ride! were not getting any younger!
5 REPLIES 5

LanceDuyen
Explorer
Explorer
I have our Honda 2000 on a front hitch basket. Hardly hear it over the noise of the indoor fan on the polar cub.

Redsky
Explorer
Explorer
A 9300 BTU will work better than a higher output unit in the small space of a camper. Air conditioners work best when they run for longer times and remove more of the moisture out of the air. Too much capacity and they cycle on for too short an interval.

The 9300 btu are going to be easier to start off a 2000 Watt generator if you decide to go that route. I don't want to haul a generator around or have the noise so if the AC is really critical we stop at a campground with 110v AC shore power.

Wheelholder
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 9200 and the honda 2000 starts and runs it just fine here in florida. Keeps us nice and cool all summer long.
2008 Silverado crew cab Duramax/Allison
2008 Lance 830

LanceDuyen
Explorer
Explorer
Run my polar cub on a Honda eu2000i all the time no problems. Houston, TX

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
How high a BTU A/C you need in hot climates will be governed by the heat loss factors of your TC. Lots of air leaks and less than good insulation means a high BTU A/C. Dry ambient air takes a lot more BTU's to acheive the same comfort temperature level than higher humidity ambient air.

An A/C unit is first a de-humidifier and then cools the air with the refrigerant cooling action similar to waht your home refrigerator does.

We know that when we are in the dry Southwestern USA hot air at 90 F, our TC roof air compressor never shuts down leaving only the fan blowing. Conversely, in the moist air in the Southeastern USA at 90 F, our A/C compressor will cycle about half and half of the compressor engaged. Same Lance TC's in both areas only days apart and experienced several times. One Lance TC it was experienced on was a 9-1/2' with a 7200 BTU Polar Cub A/C and the other Lance experienced it on was the 11'4" with a 13,500 BTU. The Honda EU2000 generator had absolutely no problem with the 7200 even with the converter and the fridge running. The 2000 genny would barely run the 13500 alone with the soft start and I had to wire a DPDT 30 amp relay so the genny would only have the 13500 A/C on it. Our 3400 watt built in propane genny had not problem with the 13500 A/C but it sure uses a lot of propane running all the time and we have two 30LB tanks OEM in the TC. We have a 6 gallon aux gasoline horizontal tank for the 2000 Honda plus the gas in the genny tank.

Blocking the sun coming in the windows with something bright white or reflective really helps as does sealing/caulking any and all air leaks. The better the effective insulation R-factor, the less A/C required.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT