Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help- Jay Flight or Freedom Express

hfed
Explorer
Explorer
Hi- I need some help deciding between 2 trailers:
The 2014 coachmen Freedom express 310bhds- maple leaf or liberty edition or the Jay Flight 32bhds- with some added options.
The floor plans are identical and with the added options on the jay flight- I'm actually getting more with the jay flight. That being said, the Jay flight appears significantly heavier. I think we want to go with the Coachmen, but when negotiating price- they don't see themselves as comparable to Jayco so they aren't willing to consider getting closer to the Jayco price/options.
Any information would help- thank you in advance
17 REPLIES 17

jntwlsn
Explorer
Explorer
WoodGlue wrote:
Have you considered the construction of the two trailers?

There is a world of difference between the two, Coachmen and Jayco.

Looks and floorplan aren't very important to me. It's what the trailer is built with that's more important, imo!

WoodGlue

Ok WoodGlue, I'll bite. What are the "world of differences" you speak of. I am a Jayco fan.....

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
My first TT was a Coachmen. Within 3 years I had to replace a lot of rotten floor in it. Next was Jayco. 5 years with it and no problems at all. Between the two, I'd go with Jayco.
2013 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 4x4 iForce 5.7
2014 Grey Wolf by Forest River 26BH TT

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a Jay Flight 32BHDS. I had narrowed our search down to two campers. Both were Jayco's.

Ask the dealer to explain the higher price on a unit with half the warranty !
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer
Take the Jayco factory tour, and you'll understand how they can offer a 2 year warranty. It's a totally class product, and the folks there are great!
Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
if you are still undecided , check which has the strongest axle and springs. Alot of TT's are built with the bare minimum size and will bend or springs will flatten....mine did and were replaced n/c with stronger springs and bigger axles.Like they are using on the newest ones.
just something to look at.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

sask934
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco roof construction

The delamination of fiberglass is an issue with many manufactures, that is why I went with an aluminum trailer, with the space aged foil for more R value.

All Manufactures are trying to say they are the best using the best processes etc. Looking at both trailers the coachman is vastly more money and not vastly better....so if it is value for money and layouts are the same..the better deal in my very humble opinion is the one with the better options at the lower price.

Stpierre142
Explorer
Explorer
I recently found myself in a similar situation. Ended up gong with a Freedom Express- Azdel was the main selling point after having an unnamed brand with delamination issues....

bradnailer
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Freedom Express 233RBS and love it. Seems to be well built to me and I'm pretty picky about that kind of stuff.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 233RBS
Prior: Jayco Pop Up, Shasta Bunkhouse, Rockwood Pop Up

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
I would go with the Jayco if you have enough truck. They are always heavier because (IMO) are way better built.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Well, given the choice, I'd definitely choose the Coachmen. Not only is it made with Azdel (a composite) the Coachmen is just better constructed imo:

What Is Azdel

By removing the wood in the walls, you're reducing your chances of ever having delamination, wood rot, mold and mildew.

Azdel also weighs next to nothing. Here is a video explaining the difference between Luaun (wood) and Azdel:

Azdel Usage

Sure, it's nice that Jayco has a 2 year warranty. But that's only for structure. The appliances inside have their own warranty which is usually a year.

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

hfed
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the problem- I actually don't understand enough about them to know which is built better- that's the real hold up. Keep in mind that the freedom we are looking at is the maple leaf/liberty edition- so definitely brings it up from "basic".

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
Have never owned either but would have guessed the Jayco would cost a lot more, if not then a no brainer. The Freedom, although I am sure is nice, is a basic trailer. Jayco always seems to be better than basic.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered the construction of the two trailers?

There is a world of difference between the two, Coachmen and Jayco.

Looks and floorplan aren't very important to me. It's what the trailer is built with that's more important, imo!

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

AlbertaNewbie
Explorer
Explorer
I like the coachmne better. if they would have had them, or been able to order one with less than a 6month delivery when we were buying I would have bought it.
2014 Dutchmen 261bhs - 7200#'s loaded
2012 Ram 1500 SXT Crew Cab w/5.7L HEMI, 4x4 3.55 Gears
250w Conergy 250P 24v solar with tristar 45amp mppt charge controller