cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A different video of a tire failure problem

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is a video of a tire failure that I have not seen before. I have nothing else to do right now so I thought that I would post it on here to see if anyone wanted to comment on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQJ6dQsEqj0
24 REPLIES 24

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
That family is only going to have a good time if their cell phones have good batteries or a Good Samaritan is there. The guy is clueless. "Is there too much air?", "I dunno".

We now live in a society where that approach is typical.

An example is, people that can only navigate to a destination if they have GPS to guide them. Many can't read a paper map. Most have no idea what a topo map is showing them.
That's all fine with me if they choose to approach it that way, but they should expect some difficulties along the way they cannot get themselves out of.

I am old, and come from a different background. A background where certain things ( tools and knowledge ) are mission critical. "6P".

I wish those folks good luck in their travels.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
That family is only going to have a good time if their cell phones have good batteries or a Good Samaritan is there. The guy is clueless. "Is there too much air?", "I dunno".
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are many low information RVers out there. Some of them live their lives with a minimum amount of information.

My wife supports me completely, but has asked a few times, "do we really need that for this short trip"? She does not ask now other than to remind me of something I mentioned I wanted to have along and had forgotten... I relax more when I have the tools and accessories to enjoy RVing.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Tire thread separation......very common.
New trailer/junk OEM tires ...

My boat trailer came with Carlisle tires. I had tread separation on one after less than 1 year and probably less than 2,000 mile.

Replaced both with Nanco bias ply which are now about 10 years old.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If people want to skip all the narcissism and get to the flat tire part, it's at about 7:45.
But theres nothing different about that kind of tire failure.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Sadly, a typical "low information" RV owner. Not having correct tools, stopping in an unsafe place, and using low quality tires for a critical job.
All preventable with prior planning and thoughtful research.

EDIT: I had to chuckle when he said his salesman told him trailer tires are notorious for failing. Uh-huh. They sure are.
"Stop using cheap-azz tires".

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
A few things I noticed.
Overloaded F150
No grease on the ball
6 lug axles very possibly "D" rated tires which are borderline on that size trailer.
And way too much fun!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Yea she called it at 4:45 "was it too much air" :B

I would have recommended a low cost click torque wrench with the proper 6-point socket and 6" extension over the cross wrench. And get a jack already or use the truck jack. Love the fact he has gloves but no tools :R

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
To many variables, low pressure, road hazard, tread separation, overloading. Who knows after the fact?

Always carry the tools to change your TT tire and know how to use them.

It is the difference between a 20 minute delay and being stranded until road service can find you.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tire thread separation......very common.
New trailer/junk OEM tires and who knows WHAT kind of weight-----family LOADED up for 6 month journey

Only thing really different was Hwy Patrol Officer standing guard/traffic alert.

Nice to see!

Trailer guy really should have pulled on forward into larger off road area vs right there on that curve.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31