cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AAA to our rescue

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently sitting in some kind soul's driveway awaiting a tow truck. No issues at all on a 3500 mile 3 week trip on Nevada, Utah, Oregon and Arizona back roads (graded gravel to rocky surfaces). Coming up the North Cascades Highway on that long hairpin turn, the engine started overheating and warning lights came on and steam poured out of the front. We stopped at one of the many scenic overlooks to discovers water leak pouring from under the truck. With the myriad of hoses in a tight fit, DH wax unable to see where leak was.

No cell phone service of course but we know the road well do filled the reserve water tank with 5 gallons of water and drove on. In about 8 miles, we had to put more in. Repeat until we came to a campground where we filled fresh water tank. In ten mile or less increments we filled tank. Finally at Newhalem we had cell phone reception. Skagit Ford said they couldn't fit us in until Tuesday and our mechanic said to egg to a service center pronto. Ford mechanic said to fill water every time it began to overheat.

Finally, just before Hamilton, the engine started to slow and we cruised on to a wide road on private property. I said I am calling AAA. I am done with this stopping every 8 miles and maybe damaging engine. DH agreed do now we'd have about a 40 minute wait. I am typing this on iPhone so don't criticize spelling or weird words. It had been a long day. Whazoo's TR helped relieved anxiety so I chilling but still. And if could have been worse. We could have had this happen in the Nevada canyons near Tonopah.

Thanks for listening.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog
10 REPLIES 10

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Skagit Ford had some great diesel mechanics when we lived up there. We moved to Arizona in 2004. I love that North Cascades Drive. Did a lot of boondocking along that route.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, that would be like driving a prairie schooner. No, not the RV Prairie Schooner, but the type of prairie schooner that was pulled halfway across the US by a sturdy team of oxen. Only difference is those stops every 8 miles would have been overnighters. Glad to hear you made it home OK. Hope the oxen under your hood get turned back into horses soon.
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
Thank-you all for your kind words. AAA was great updating me about ETA of tow truck on phone. The operator was courteous, professional, and thorough. We had to have a flatbed truck winch us on. Pup rode in our truck while we rode in the tow truck and didn't seem fazed. We were almost too long with our combo especially with new Ranch Hand replacement bumper. We were about 40 miles from home, so close but so far away when you have to stop every 8 miles to fill radiator. Pulled in the driveway at about 8pm after leaving campground at Klipchuck off North Cascades highway which I think is about 135 or so miles from home.

We have to have an oil change anyway and our mechanic can also do cooling systems so we will try to limp the 6 miles into town to his shop. We figure early Sunday morning to drive in both rigs and leave it in his lot for our Monday appointment. That way we won't encounter too much traffic.

I will have DH read up on the failures and will talk to dealer where we bought the truck. He did loosen the cap a bit, coasted downhill in neutral when possible but we didn't want to ruin engine. He knew enough to let engine cool before adding water and to run engine while adding water. No fun at all especially to someone like me who has panic attacks and anxiety issues. We made it and are thankful that it didn't happen on one of the Nevada canyons we traveled (South Sixmile, Hot Creek, Hunts, etc.), that AAA was prompt and that we had cell phone service when engine began losing power. Also, thankful for the locals who stopped to offer assistance and the property owner who allowed us to park in his large driveway that made it really easy for tow truck operator to load us up.

Will update about radiator and also working on TR on my blog. Thanks all.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Photography Website
Photography Blog

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like the radiator let go. This was a problem with the 6.4 years and if I remember right there were recalls on them.

Good luck hope you get it fixed up and can continue on with your trip.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Also, next time, run with a loose radiator cap. By leaving it loose, the pressure will not build up and push the water out quicker. Could probably extend those 8 mile stops to 50 miles or more.

Glad you have help on the way and it happened where help can get to you. Being standed is the biggest fear I will have when I travel.

Good luck with a quick, easy, and in-expensive repair.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

nycsteve
Explorer
Explorer
May I suggest a visit to
Fordtruckenthusiasts forum
Scroll down to the diesel section. Plenty of unbiased real world info. The 6.4 diesel is a problematic engine, not a complete lemon, but theres real issues. I had one for 3 years and traded up(as far as Im concerned) to a 6.2 gasser. Visit thre forum , and be informed.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
It could have been worse. I'm glad to hear that you and probably your truck are safe.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, great. Not so great engine history although we have had no engine issues since we bought of used in August 2012 and put on 25 k miles. What kind of problems? I sure wish my grandpa was here still. He was a diesel mechanic self-taught. Hubby knows nothing about diesels but has worked on gas types until they got too complex with computers.
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Photography Website
Photography Blog

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
I had an 08 like you have. They had a problem with the radiators on some of them.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie