cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About to buy a TT, so confused, could use some help.

cfiore99
Explorer
Explorer
So my wife and I have the opportunity to buy a travel trailer that is perfect for our family. We are supposed to sign the papers this afternoon. Unfortunately I am having a hard time figuring out if our vehicle will be able to actually tow it. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

The tow vehicle is a 2010 Toyota Sequoia 4wd, 5.7L V8 FFV. The manual says the tow capacity is 9600 pounds.

The camper is a Lacrosse Luxury Lite Touring Edition model:

LCT 318BHS
LCB003597 (it has both listed just like that)

35'. The dry weight is: 7775 pounds, the GVWR is: 9597 pounds

If I understand correctly we would be at the very max of towing capacity for the Sequoia even with a weight distributing hitch and airbags on the rear suspension for sag. So I'm guessing we need to be looking for a truck with a tow capacity closer to 11K or 12K to tow it safely? (Which we can't afford.)

Thanks for any help or advice.
27 REPLIES 27

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
I would buy the trailer I want. Hook it up to that Toyota with a Hensley Arrow hitch and enjoy camping.

WOW!:S

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would buy the trailer I want. Hook it up to that Toyota with a Hensley Arrow hitch and enjoy camping.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Copperhead
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
Your problem is not going to be towing capacity as much as payload. Depending on how your Toyota is optioned, it has a payload between 1,255 and 1,380 lbs... that's including passengers and cargo in the vehicle as well as tongue weight of the trailer. A good WD hitch weighs 100 lbs and the loaded tongue weight of that trailer will be close to 900 lbs. Will you, your family, and anything you put in the Toyota come in under 380 lbs. total?

Rob
And air bags don't increase payload

Indeed. Many of the 3/4 ton gassers are substantially more capable than the most exotic loaded 1/2 ton, and many times cheaper to boot! The market and pricing is geared toward the 1/2 ton as that is where Dealer and OEM bread and butter is. With the 3/4 and one tons geared more for the commercial sector and priced accordingly. Hence, prices for the 3/4 tons can rival or be lower than many 1/2 tons. Go in acting like a business owner or farmer, instead fo a RV owner, looking for a good 3/4 ton and you can really get substantial discount from the MSRP. Do your research on what you need and go in knowing what you want.

For instance, my 2015 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L 4.10 ratio diffs, LT Z71 4x4, double cab standard bed, with snow plow prep package, tow package with integrated controller and 5th wheel/gooseneck prep with a Line-X bedliner thrown in for good measure, Tow capability of 13,000 lb and when the pickup is full of fuel, two people, and a few hundred pounds of gear in the back, it still has about 2300 lb available payload. Still well above the OEM max hitch rating of 1500 lb. Front axle rated at 5200 lb and the rear axle rated for 6200 lb.

All for $38,000, brand new, off the lot. And not during one of those high incentive "truck month" sales. Try driving of the lot with a loaded up, max tow, super 1/2 ton whatever for the same price. And even then, with all that souped up 1/2 ton, it still will not match the capability of a average spec'd 3/4 ton.

I lowered the back end to take some of the 3/4 ton "cat in heat" rake out of the back, installed SumoSprings 1500 lb cellular urethane foam suspension supports that offer similar performance as air bags but with a far lower cost and none of the hassles. Total cost of about $250. Even with the pickup back end lowered with a set of 2" McGaughy's drop shackles, with well over a ton in the bed the pickup is just getting to to a level stance. But the drop in the back was one of the best investments of $70 that I ever did. Made getting in and out of the bed so much easier for this old beat up ex Armored Cavalry Sergeant. Really no reason that 3/4 ton suspensions should be such that the back end of the pickup truck bed is half way to the moon.

the ride of a typical 3/4 ton can be rougher, for sure. I got the inflation tables from BF Goodrich for my AT KO2 tires and run the pressures recommended for the actual axle load a the time. That smoothed up the ride somewhat. I also got rid of the stock Rancho shocks and put on a set of Bilstein 4600's and that brought the pickup almost into 1/2 ton ride quality territory.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMyPc_oBKdg

or this one:

https://www.theolympian.com/news/local/traffic/article206632889.html

or this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMyPc_oBKdg
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big trailer requires a big truck.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
Your problem is not going to be towing capacity as much as payload. Depending on how your Toyota is optioned, it has a payload between 1,255 and 1,380 lbs... that's including passengers and cargo in the vehicle as well as tongue weight of the trailer. A good WD hitch weighs 100 lbs and the loaded tongue weight of that trailer will be close to 900 lbs. Will you, your family, and anything you put in the Toyota come in under 380 lbs. total?

Rob
And air bags don't increase payload
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Look for a F-250, Chevy 2500, or Ram 2500 with a gas engine. You don't need to spend the extra for diesel.
With a trailer that big the beefier frame, brakes and suspension will make it a better towing experience. Most 1/2 ton trucks will runout of payload with the tongue weight of that camper.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Needed validation, Dutchman.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Probably could but shouldn't. Lots of factors to consider when borderline overloaded; braking, acceleration steep grades, stress on trans, suspension, cooling, etc, etc.
Jayco-noslide

cfiore99
Explorer
Explorer
We have put buying the tt on hold. The loan is good till Sept 2nd. The owners have agreed to wait till then. So now we are frantically looking for a truck with the capability to tow it. Of course we have to find an affordable used one. Really hoping we can find one. Thanks for all the great info everyone.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
OP, I sure hope you took a pass on that purchase. It would be like grafting a 6' long tail onto a beagle. Watch the tail wag the dog!
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
I never noticed any issues on our 2010 Sequoia tranny hunting or struggling to keep moderate power climbing the ascents while towing our TT loaded weight at 8300 lbs (RV park stays with less loaded weight). It was the short wheel base being pushed around by the much heavier and longer trailer especially when it came to descents. Yes, I am very familiar with gearing down on descents and properly setting up our WDH but it just-didn't-help. The Sequoia platform would be perfectly suited to a GVWR trailer below 7000 lbs. The towing specs on the 2010 Sequoia is a flat out lie and that statement can be supported by comparing the 2010 model to the 2011 Sequoia.

We still have our 2010 Sequoia. It wasn't cheap and it still feels like it is new but I've been pretty disappointed with some of the engineering aspects of that vehicle. For the most part, it is a very good vehicle, just falls flat in certain areas. Toyota could have done much better with regards to engineering value.
I love me some land yachting

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Toyota clearly overspeced that vehicle. The transmission struggles keeping up when towing moderate weights, I cant imagine towing 10K with that platform. It is not often that an OEM overspecs their vehicles, but it clearly happened in this case. At the MPG you will getting with that SUV you could do it with any 3/4 gas truck and many 1/2 ton trucks and do it a lot more competently.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^^ It just goes to show vehicle weight ratings should be taken with a grain of salt.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5